Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

Quality perceptions

Given all the vids on the exceptional quality of these trailers I had built a perception that has since dimmed a bit. I don't have a dealer nearby. Over the past few years we would stop during traveling to do the quick floor plan check at a dealer not really able to dig in and look closely at how they are built.

We decided on a 22FQS this summer and was lucky enough that that floor plan was one the assembly line for the fall. I found one left about 400 miles from me and put a deposit down on it.

I picked it up about a month ago and since then have gone over it with a critical eye. Three of the drawers wont stay closed during tow. I have been dicking around trying to get the latches adjusted. While they brag about the US sourced steel its the terrible paint quality on the steel that is shocking. There is rust on the rear bumper and hitch structure and the paint is barely adhering.

Long term the paint on the frame is going to be a problem that needs constant care. Kind of worried about that slide mechanism as well. Its amazingly loud and not confidence inspiring.

There is much to like about these. There are very well insulated, and the water capacities are great. Time will tell whether it was worth the 55k.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I understand your frustration. I'm on my fifth RV and my first ORV brand. Over the years I've seen a deterioration in overall quality of craftsmanship and quality of materials. I'm not sure there's an answer. While we found this trailer to be of superior quality to other brands, there are "issues" we're having to deal with. I think this is common with anything which has been manufactured on an assembly line. Buying an RV of this quality is similar to buying a spec home versus a custom built home. There will be short cuts and defects. Kinda sad.

Jim

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L Diesel
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

I find it's more of a matter of expectations than anything else; certainly there are too many reports of problems (i.e. shower drains that aren't connected, etc.) and they are disappointing to be sure. A large portion of the complaints are things that I consider minor and normal in any RV.....would it be better if RV's were perfect? Of course, but that's unrealistic at the price point.

don't get me wrong; I empathize with people that have had (serious) issues but after looking hard at dozens of trailers, I'm convinced that my ORV is in the top 5-10% of similar units.......I shudder at some of the stuff I saw when looking.

Due to my own mistake, I've had to have some serious work done to my trailer only 9 months after purchasing it - this has caused me to spend significant time looking at areas of my trailer that are not usually accessible and, for the most part, I've been satisfied with what I've seen. The dealer (not an ORV dealer) has also said that this is one of the best built trailers they've worked on.

At the end of the day, I'd say that ORV is well above average in design and methods but not much above average in actual construction. Luckily, any items I've run across have been minor things that I've easily fixed.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 09-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

At the end of the day, I'd say that ORV is well above average in design and methods but not much above average in actual construction. Luckily, any items I've run across have been minor things that I've easily fixed.

2 cents,
Dave
This is it in a nut shell. It's all about assembly. My dinette slide with DP window while being made with better materials and design than 95% of other brands leaked.
After a trip back to ORV for a new slide floor and window leak fix it's now a quality slide out. But it cost me near $500 in fuel and lodging to get fixed. It still makes a terrible groaning noise when stepping on it in the extended position.
Yes ORV uses better components than most, but still can't assemble them any better.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis View Post
Given all the vids on the exceptional quality of these trailers I had built a perception that has since dimmed a bit. I don't have a dealer nearby. Over the past few years we would stop during traveling to do the quick floor plan check at a dealer not really able to dig in and look closely at how they are built.

We decided on a 22FQS this summer and was lucky enough that that floor plan was one the assembly line for the fall. I found one left about 400 miles from me and put a deposit down on it.

I picked it up about a month ago and since then have gone over it with a critical eye. Three of the drawers wont stay closed during tow. I have been dicking around trying to get the latches adjusted. While they brag about the US sourced steel its the terrible paint quality on the steel that is shocking. There is rust on the rear bumper and hitch structure and the paint is barely adhering.

Long term the paint on the frame is going to be a problem that needs constant care. Kind of worried about that slide mechanism as well. Its amazingly loud and not confidence inspiring.

There is much to like about these. There are very well insulated, and the water capacities are great. Time will tell whether it was worth the 55k.
No it's not worth $55K. That $55K was inflated due to material shortages not because of new and improved materials or fixtures. It's still a $40K TT or whatever MSRP was before Covid.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #6

Interesting article; https://jalopnik.com/rv-dealerships-...cPu-A3yf3I3Qq0
Old 09-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A couple years ago, we had an issue with the frame paint being destroyed by Washington State ice melt--about 50 miles total were covered.
When I spoke to the factory about it, the man stated that the state of Oregon was strict about the type of paint they could use on the frame.
So, I came back to the home and spent a few hours under the rig cleaning and scraping the frame--then giving it a pretty good coat of primer and paint. Except for the dirt we picked up, the frame looks pretty good.
I've vented on here about the terrible time we had with a Keystone product, but I can honestly say that our ORV is much better than the Cougar. Oh, if you find an Idaho license plate on I-80 west of Winnemucca, that was just one of the things that actually fell off our Cougar.
Owning an RV is like going to a fast food place---now and then, they forget the pickles.
See ya out there.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

I spent an afternoon under the trailer using Paint Over Rust (POR 15) paint. That and a top coat of Rustoleum (POR has no uv durability) and we’ve been rust free for 3 seasons. It is what it is.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As Coops always said "ORV is just the best house in a crappy neighborhood". Quality seems to have dropped significantly since our 2016 was built. After some initial teething issues we have been fine.
On our last 2 week outing we had a hinge pin fall out, OMG. No rust on the frame, no plumbing issues. It seems the entire RV industry is in a downward spiral and ORV is going down with them.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:08 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
And as Coops has often said, with his expansive wisdom, "A trailer is a trailer." Or words to that effect, in Canadian or American!

Mr. Wonderful
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
This is it in a nut shell. It's all about assembly. My dinette slide with DP window while being made with better materials and design than 95% of other brands leaked.
After a trip back to ORV for a new slide floor and window leak fix it's now a quality slide out. But it cost me near $500 in fuel and lodging to get fixed. It still makes a terrible groaning noise when stepping on it in the extended position.
Yes ORV uses better components than most, but still can't assemble them any better.
We settled on ORV for a number of reason, one of which is they're located in the western U.S. If we do have a serious issue that requires a factory visit we won't need to travel to Elkhart.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #12

I researched for a long time.
It was down to northwood. Orv and AF.
We settled on an orv 28dbs. We are living in it.
It tows better than the open range we traded.
It seems well insulated.(got down in the 30s taos
Nm where we are boondocking) All of these
are quickly put together. Weve discovered some
Minor mfg issues which ive fixed. Over all we
Think its pretty well made. But weve only lived in it
Less than a week so time will tell. We opted for
Solar and battleborns. We will camp for free
As often as possible. The genny is loud and
Annoying. We have 2 hondas which were much
Quieter. We may keep them and rid the camper
Of the onan lp 3600 genny. But the switch inside
To turn it on and off is nice(4 me) ..we will see.
As far as quality perceived vs quality received.
Id say they are not as good as i hoped. But better
Than anything elkhart puts out. Ill have to keep an eye
On the frame..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVFlyAngler View Post
We settled on ORV for a number of reason, one of which is they're located in the western U.S. If we do have a serious issue that requires a factory visit we won't need to travel to Elkhart.
That was one of the reasons we went with NW then with ORV. Being an Oregon resident I figured I could make a trip to the factory much easier.

Tags
quality