Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2023, 05:49 PM   #1

Questions about floorplans with dual gray tanks

Hi,

Been looking with some interest at ORV models, and see that several of the floorplans (mostly those with rear kitchens) list two gray tanks.

Without a dealer nearby to go see one in person, I've got a couple of questions about how things are set up on these models.

For one, are there two separate dump/gate valves, one for each tank? And, if so, does anyone here have any insight on how well that works (or doesn't work) for them when dumping? Seems like an extra nuisance... and what about when you're hooked up at a campsite? Do you have to piece together a "Y" to plumb both gray tanks to the dump?

Or are the two tanks plumbed together to, effectively, act as one with only a single dump valve?

Thanks for any insight!
BC-Bounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #2

Our 5th wheel has 2
One grey and one galley
Each has it's own dump line/valve
Ours goes into a single common header

Some have Black & Grey in one spot and galley back at rear so a 'Y' is needed
Otherwise you have to disconnect hose and reconnect toother dump line
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:18 PM   #3

With its rear kitchen, our 26KVS has two dump valves. One valve dumps the black and gray bathroom tanks, and the other valve dumps the galley's grey tank. We're still very new to this so I haven't yet found it to be a nuisance. I may purchase a second hose and a Y-connector at some point, though. I think having two sewer hoses offers redundancy and peace of mind should one hose fail.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:55 AM   #4

Ours has two. Black tank and shower at one valve. Dump black, then the shower, unhook the hose and hook up to the other gray which is the kitchen and dump. My only issue is one black and grey valve is at the rear of the slide and the kitchen grey valve is at the front of the slide. We only boondock so we only have the slinky out when we are done camping.
2Curtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:46 AM   #5

Fly, you should have 3 dump valves, 1 black and 2 grey, that is how our 26kvst is.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Curtass View Post
Ours has two. Black tank and shower at one valve. Dump black, then the shower, unhook the hose and hook up to the other gray which is the kitchen and dump. My only issue is one black and grey valve is at the rear of the slide and the kitchen grey valve is at the front of the slide. We only boondock so we only have the slinky out when we are done camping.
That’s what I was assuming would be the case, thanks @2Curtass.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVFlyAngler View Post
With its rear kitchen, our 26KVS has two dump valves. One valve dumps the black and gray bathroom tanks, and the other valve dumps the galley's grey tank. We're still very new to this so I haven't yet found it to be a nuisance. I may purchase a second hose and a Y-connector at some point, though. I think having two sewer hoses offers redundancy and peace of mind should one hose fail.
Thanks @NVFlyAngler. We always carry a spare sewer hose, just didn’t want to HAVE to have 2 because of the dual gray tank outlets.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #8

280KVS has 3 dump valves. Two are located mid-trailer with one for the black tank and one for the bathroom tank. The other is located near the rear of the trailer for the kitchen gray tank.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Fly, you should have 3 dump valves, 1 black and 2 grey, that is how our 26kvst is.
'
You are correct, sir. I have three valve handles - one black and two grey. I was thinking two because there are two outlet pipes since the bathroom's black and grey share the same one.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:59 AM   #10

We have the 3 tanks, and when at a dump station I pull up to dump the black and the gray. Once completed my wife pulls forward to line up the galley dump valve. I connect and dump the third tank. Easy peasy.

I thought about the "Y" connection when at a full hookup campground, but realized it takes 3 hoses and that makes no sense at all. I only dump tanks when they are full and therefore don't always hook up the sewer connection if we are on the move.

Mike
Buckmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:46 AM   #11

I travel with my brother quite a bit and he has two gray tanks. One of the gray tanks dumps into a common outlet with it's own valve and the other one is a solo valve and dump location. It just takes him longer to dump cause he needs to move the coach after the first dump. When he is at a site that has hook ups I think he usually hooks into the outlet that catches both tanks. I have read, either on this forum or the ORV Facebook page about a guy that connected the solo tank into the outlet for the other two tanks with either a 1-1/2" or 2" ABS line that he tucked up agaist the coroplast. I have no idea what the connections looked like at each end though.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:38 PM   #12

My 24KRS had two dump ports, so I’d dump the black and front grey tank, unhook the hose, pull forward, and dump the galley tank. It was a little nuisance but not terrible. People waiting would see me unhook and think I was done, only to have me hook up again and continue dumping. It was probably more of a bother for them than for me.

My current rig also has two grey tanks, and the rear (galley) tank connects with a long pipe to the single outlet. There is very little slope, so it is hard to empty the galley tank. I have thought of adding a second outlet for my galley tank to see if I can speed things up.

Other people with the same rig do not have an issue with slow tank dumps, though.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I modified my plumbing to eliminate having to hook up the stinky slinky twice. Ours is a rear kitchen unit with a grey tank for that sink. I simply ran a pipe from the factory downpipe to the main drain with a "Y" connection. Works great and only one hookup. Somewhere in the modification sticky is a picture of someone else doing the same thing, so my idea was not original.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:27 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On our 24RKS, I plumbed a sewer line from the rear tank to the common connection mid trailer. Now, I connect the sewer hose as usual, dump the black, then the kitchen, then the shower tank.
I have an additional knife sewer valve at the common sewer connection to eleminate and leakage that might occur with the stock trailer valves-and a clear elbow to watch the contents draining out.
It took a couple hours, a trip to HD, laying on my back, and a beverage to complete the job. This type of connection is used on several trailers, including two we've owned. My home made connection has been good for going on 4 years now--in fact, I used it today to dump tanks.

Tags
floor, gray tank, tank