Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #1

Right side hubs warm. 2022 25rds

Both of my right side hubs feel warmer (not hot, just warmer) as compared to the left side hubs. I pulled each of the tires and hubs just to verify internal components work as designed and per specs. When I'm driving, i notice the TPMS on the right side tires run anywhere from 2 - 4 PSI higher than the left side (after driving awhile). Chatted with a trailer repair shop yesterday, and they seem to think the self adjusting brakes on the right side are taking there time adjusting. Humm? Next step I am thinking is to reduce the braking load to 0 or 1, and work the brake controller ( while driving) to see if that might encourage the right side brakes to better adjust. But, I'm not sure its really the right side brakes. Just wondering if anyone else might have experienced my situation and determined a corrective action. Appreciate any insights. Thanks.
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 07:21 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We travelled a lot of miles and I have noticed the same temp differences on my 2015 Timber Ridge. After checking bearings and brakes and determined they were all working properly I started to look for other factors. I have observed that often the sun facing side when travelling will have some temp and pressure differences. The other observation I have made is that some highways have different shoulder conditions than the pavement closer to the center and when travelling on those I seen small temp variances as well. After about 20,000 miles without any major issues with brakes and bearings Iíve come to the conclusion that I will continue with my annual inspections, maintenance as required, monitor while travelling and just enjoy the trip.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:21 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Weigh each side. Also, check for a lean to the warm side due to sagging springs.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #4

The sunny side will run hotter. Get an IR thermometer to get accurate temps. Be sure to shoot the hubs in the same spot, temps will vary quite a bit. It would be odd to have two fail at the same time. 2-4 psi has no significance, it could possibly indicate that side is a bit heavier or possibly the castle nut is a tiny bit tighter or it could be thats just the way things are. What you are looking for with temps is one way out of whack. I usually check mine with the thermometer after at least a 50 mile tow and every couple of days. I commonly see variations of 10˚ and psi variations of 5 or so. My TPMS on the trailer will have a 10-15 psi increase from cold. The temp and psi are relative only to each other, in other-words, these are not precision scientific instruments with a high level of calibration. The numbers are only relative to each other. You need to check tow with them several times to know what your normal is. You monitor them to see if one is greatly out of normal. I don't think you have a problem. Hope this makes sense.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

I wonder if the crown of the road has any effect on that? Trailer leans to the right side a bit.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
People have been known to add a leaf to the right-side spring-pack to counter the crown of two lane bi-ways.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #7

Thanks for your thoughts and your advice. I spent some time on a short road testing out and adjusting the trailer brakes ability to stop the truck and the trailer. Also readjusted the gain to 4.5. 5.0 stopped the truck in drive ~20-25 ft. Also raised each side (separately) to spin the wheels and make sure no unusual noise or stoppages. Nothing there. Measure the center of each hub (rear to front) to make sure they were the same measurement. Spot-on there. Ran a string from the front hitch to the middle of each front axle tire to make sure they were the same length. No issue there. Measured (two measurements) width of the rear RV, and the bumper to determine center, and then ran a string from center to each tire on rear axle. No issue there. I redid the bearings and seals last week, so I know they are good. I guess it's just one of things...crown in the road, difference in the road (right side to center) like most have mentioned above. Heading from NE FL to Northern VA, then Denver, and then Las Vegas (Santa deliveries to grandchildren). I'll just continue to monitor and adjust as necessary. Appreciate your responses. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

I recently purchased an IR thermometer for this purpose. ....Up until then I just touched them knowing that it's under about 120 deg. if you can hold your finger on it for a couple seconds.

Airstream says 140 - 175 deg. F.

EZ Loader says under 180 deg.

Tige says 140 - 150 deg.

many sources (bearing manufacturer, etc.) suggest less than under 200 isn't an issue.

Most agree that while a slight variance between wheels is fine, a big difference is the #1 indicator of a problem.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 12-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Measuring surface temps does not tell you how hot the journal is. Surface temps above 120 should be concerning in a bearing with non-circulating lubrication. AWTTW
Old 12-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #10

So, this outer hub does not come off unless the tire is removed. Just wondering if measuring temperature via IR is a suitable test? Iím not sure of another process.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Measuring surface temps does not tell you how hot the journal is. Surface temps above 120 should be concerning in a bearing with non-circulating lubrication. AWTTW
From Dexter;

What are the normal Operating Temperatures for Dexter Axle Components and Assemblies? This is a
question that we have asked Dexter to help address due to the volume of questions we receive in Airstream
Customer Support on this topic. We are contacted by owners that indicated that their brakes are hot or very
warm, is this normal or do I have a problem?
Brake Drums and Shoes: The function of brakes is to convert the kinetic and potential energy of the vehicle
to heat generated by the rubbing friction of the brake linings against the brake drum or rotor. Normal operating
temperatures for most drum brakes range from 150 degrees F. to 400 degrees F. Temperatures can exceed 600
degrees F. during certain stopping conditions although the braking effectiveness is considerably reduced at
these elevated temperatures. Temperatures above approximately 650 degrees F. may damage brake components
and brake drums. Disk brakes may operate up to about 1600 degrees F. without damage. Most people fi nd 150
degrees F. too hot to touch comfortably. Do not touch brake drums or brake components immediately after
stopping the vehicle. Severe burns may occur.
Bearings: Tapered roller bearings can withstand considerable temperature without damage. The bearing
lubricant generally cannot. Temperatures in excess of about 200 degrees F. (measured at the outside of the
hub.) may indicate a bearing or bearing lubrication problem. Temperatures in the range of 140 degrees F. to
175 degrees F. are considered normal.
Use extreme caution when attempting to determine hub temperature.
Normal bearing operation temperatures may cause the hub to be too hot to touch comfortably. The above
information courtesy of Dexter Axle Engineering