Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

Roof Layout 22fqs

Hi, does anyone have an outside roof layout with measurements for a 22fqs titanium. I have a 22fqs on order for next year and want to review my options for solor install. I am looking to place 3 200w panels (65" x 26.5") up on the roof.

Thanks for any information on this.
Darryl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #2

Here is a couple pictures of my 22FQS. It is not a titanium but since the floor plan is the same as my mountain series I am pretty sure the roof will be the same.

My panels are 58 x 27 170 watts and are at the front of the trailer. There is plenty of room to put in 65 inch panels up front in place of my 58 inch panels. The third panel will fit in the rear of the roof (to the left in my picture).

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA4FBE47-DD4B-4BBB-BC8A-E235C28A88A2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	350018   Click image for larger version

Name:	6DECE12C-5ADF-45C0-A028-524EDD0803F5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	350019  

Old 11-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #3

I have a 2020 Anniversary Series 22FQS. I purchased two Solarland 190 watt, 24 v panels that are waiting for me to install. I purchased them from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun in Flagstaff. The panels measure 62" x 31". They were just large enough that they had to ship via freight, which was expensive. But I really wanted 24 v panels and plan to wire them in parallel not series, against all current advice. I am concerned about shading and believe I will get more power in parallel. If I am wrong, it will be easy to re-wire in series.

I did a test layout with tape to see what would fit. I also measured a width of 39" from the end of the roof to the edge of the roof vent. I could fit up to 4 panels, but given my trailer use, I think 2 will be enough. The 4 panel layout will get shading from the air conditioner. Another factor for me is that I do cover my trailer when it is in storage and it would be hard to walk on the roof to place the cover with 3 or 4 panels installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01Solar Layout.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	350033   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Solar Layout.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	350034  

Old 11-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

Thank you both for the pictures, this has helped with my layout plans. I will be going with 3 200 on the roof with a single 175 portable attached with the port available at ground level. My first mod will be the removal of the propane/110v fridge for a 12v, we like to camp without hook ups as much as possible.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_ View Post
Thank you both for the pictures, this has helped with my layout plans. I will be going with 3 200 on the roof with a single 175 portable attached with the port available at ground level. My first mod will be the removal of the propane/110v fridge for a 12v, we like to camp without hook ups as much as possible.
Why would you remove a perfectly good 110V/propane fridge for a battery sucking 12V? 12V fridges put a lot of stress on finding locations to camp where you have full sun most of the time. Any tree branches will greatly hinder the ability of the panels to provide power.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru2 View Post
Here is a couple pictures of my 22FQS. It is not a titanium but since the floor plan is the same as my mountain series I am pretty sure the roof will be the same.
It's all the same; Titanium, Mountain, Anniversary; all identical construction 'cept for some different standard options, colors and finishing.

Dave
Old 11-29-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

A quick note on the reason for 12v fridge, based on my battery reserve and the enery requirements of a enery efficient 12v fridge, I will be able to get close to 7 days without full sunlight. If the clouds do stay away longer I can recharge them up if needed without sunlight but don't expect to need to from past experience. A second benefit to me is the ability to run the fridge while traveling.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #8

I would prefer a 12v refrig since I know I could handle it with my solar and battleborn batteries. We had an DC refrig on our Airstream Van and we had no problems.

However after 7500 miles in 2 1/2 months the refrig has operated seamlessly switching from AC to propane. We travel with the refrig on propane and have never had any problems. It has never blown out and keeps everything at temperature down the road.

It has been our first experience with an AC/propane refrig and so far so good.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
A quick note on the reason for 12v fridge, based on my battery reserve and the enery requirements of a enery efficient 12v fridge, I will be able to get close to 7 days without full sunlight. If the clouds do stay away longer I can recharge them up if needed without sunlight but don't expect to need to from past experience. A second benefit to me is the ability to run the fridge while traveling.
to each thier own; some people love the 12v compressor fridges. .....that 7 days is probably with no other battery usage, right? I prefer to keep my battery power for my furnace and other loads. I also run my propane fridge whilst travelling.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 11-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
What fridge are you getting? I have a 12V fridge in my 25RDS because my Norcold failed at 1.5 years. It's a little on the power hog side and with my usable 225 AH It would only last about 2 days on battery alone. It would depend on ambient temps and which side the sun's on.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof