Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Rust on my 1 year old Creek Side

I was prepping my trailer to take to the dealer for some other warranty work and I noticed what looks like a fair amount of rust especially on the bumper and rear receiver. Plus the suspension bolts look pretty bad too. Does this seem abnormal or excessive? I don't know why this forum flips my photo but you get the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4316.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	154934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4319.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	154935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4322.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	154936  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Nothing looks unusual in your photos. The frame and axles could have been sitting outside for months before your 'house' was put on the frame. Very little paint and no undercoating was used to protect bare metal, especially at welds.

You could expend a lot of time and a fair amount of money treating the rust to stop it, then seal the treated steel with paint, then spray undercoating over that. That will probably make you feel better and it will look better, EXCEPT the rust will continue on the inside of the boxed steel unseen by you.

Steel (iron) interacts with oxygen and creates iron oxide (rust) The rust actually seals off the steel and slows future rusting and generally won't weaken the frame for many, many years.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And, you live near the ocean!!! Almost like living back in the midwest or the east!! Rust there is very normal and quick. It probably would be worth it to paint to help protect, if not just for your own peace of mind and satisfaction.

I do spot and touch ups on any area I find on our Timber Ridge. Haven't had to do much to the main frame yet, but keep checking it. There are some pretty good rust control products and paint out there. I'm sure someone here will recommend good ones. Me, I use good old Krylon shake and shoot!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #4

I might hit it with a coat of navel jelly then paint it. Navel jelly reacts to the rust and should help kill it and make it a paintable surface.
Blackbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
I was prepping my trailer to take to the dealer for some other warranty work and I noticed what looks like a fair amount of rust especially on the bumper and rear receiver. Plus the suspension bolts look pretty bad too. Does this seem abnormal or excessive? I don't know why this forum flips my photo but you get the point.
I've done rust restoration work here on the farm and have restored many a vehicle with frame off detail since '72. I'll give a brief overview and some suggestions for your consideration.

I would suggest you wash the area/s of dirt and grease.

You can decide to remove the rust if you wish to by either mechanical or chemical means, OR you can just encapsulate. A brief explanation of each:

Mechanical: wire brush, material blast or sanding. Then prime and finish.

Chemical: https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...ust-treatment/ apply,dry and it has now converted rust to a primer. Then add a finish.

Encapsulate: the easiest route. It neutralizes, seals and finish coats in one step.
Rustoleum or POR15 both available on Amazon.

For in between treatments or area's you can't reach readily: you can use "Fluid Film", also available on Amazon. It essentially is lanolin, it temporarily stops oxygen from reaching the rust, the encapsulation products are more permanent. No oxygen....means no rust. Or you could use Eastwood's internal coating which comes with a small tube and nozzle to spray into frames etc. Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol

Hope this helps!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I lightly steel brush it and spray with rust-o-leum or similar paint product.
But it's just cosmetic.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone. While this is my first travel trailer, it's my third trailer. The first two were car car haulers, one open one enclosed. The open trailer stayed at a place with an ocean view and seemed to rust less quickly. My enclosed car hauler stayed in the spot the RV now lives for several years and I never noticed anywhere near the amount of rust.

I'm heading to the dealership today to have a last few things taken care of before my 1 year warranty expires, we'll see what they have to say. If it seems to be normal, I have some POR15 I'll put to use. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #8

There is a paint that's called paint over rust that works good, It seals the air away from the rust. what I used went on with a brush. Used it on truck frames
oh oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
imho, any amount of rust will weaken a frame. understand your sentiments. shared. way back in the days when a new TT was only $2k, we were never concerned about rusting, as it was easy and cheap to tack on new metals. but today a TT can be $35k to $100k, and at this price, the rapid rusting, depreciation and repair costs become an entirely different matter. rust has now become a pet peeve for me. truly, I think ORV should step up its game and give us far better anti-rust coatings. the added cost is minimal during fabrication, but exorbitant after purchase.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doesn't look good to me. Curious what the dealer says.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #11

The dealer would say that this is normal. Because it is. RV's are built cheaply. Their frames are for the most part not powder coated. They are not E-coated which is a newer process used on newer trucks. If they were you wouldn't see what you have.
Scrape and paint with Rustoleum oil based black gloss paint.
Since most people shop by price we get what we pay for.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

I find the differing opinions on the subject interesting.

The service writer at the dealer thought it seemed excessive too but he's pretty new to the RV world. I dropped it off yesterday but haven't heard anything beyond the drop-off talk. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

I'd ask for a new one. If you can see that poor workmanship imagine whats wrong where you can't see.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'd ask for a new one. If you can see that poor workmanship imagine whats wrong where you can't see.
Good luck with that!! If you do a search on the forum, you'll find many threads about rust on frames and unprotected steel. As someone else said, RVs are cranked out with little real regard to the environment they will be used. inappropriate fasteners, metallic incompatibility, (electrolysis) poor sealing or caulking, and many other issues are common in the industry.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust