RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:26 AM   #1

Seeping past waste tank valves

The last two trips out with our 2020 f28rks we've had the surprise of water waiting behind the cap. I'm good about having hose ready and catch this but have never had this issue with either previous RV. I'm assuming that the valves may be somewhat adjustable but that the belly cover would need opened. This last dump stop and both the front and galley connections had this problem. Anything I can do to remedy this, and I'm not wanting to add another shutoff to these, but to get the valves to function as they should.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #2

In my coach valve it has a sliding white plastic guillotine blade that shut the flow off. If "something" gets stuck in the rubber seal where the guillotine slides water may leak. I occasionally will smear some Plumbers Grease on the blade. That not only seals the valve, but also makes it slide much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumber Silicone Grease.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	288316  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #3

Iíve had a similar problem that was caused by a small amount of plumbing pipe adhesive stuck in the groove that the valve slides in. Used some picks to clean it out. Solved the problem.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #4

….some valves aren't accessible from the dump opening....for many valves, you can remove the 4 bolts on the coupling and remove the blade mechanism...."debris" trapped in the blade rubber seals is often the issue.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #5

If you do remove the valve, make sure you place something on the O ring that will hold it in place when trying to slide the valve back. That sucker can be a pesky rascal to keep the O rings from coming off.

When we first brought this coach home it too had a leaking valve. I ended up removing the valve so I could replace it. When I was inspecting it I found a very small hearing aid battery jammed in the rubber gasket. I removed the hearing aid battery, tested it (it was deader than a doornail) and after lightly coating the rubber gasket with the Plumber Grease put the valve back in. After 5 years its still working.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #6

I spoke with dealer today and learned that are are no adjustments. The suggestion was to completely drain all tanks, then add clean water and see which valve may be seeping. I could then try flushing that out but if it doesnt clear any debris, the valve would have to be accessed for repair/replace, which would be a warranty claim.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #7

Get some red dye and pour a bottle in one of the tanks. If the water collecting in the end cap os clear, you will know it is the other valve.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #8

So, update. Grey tanks seem to be holding. Drained every drop out, put five gallons into them, no seepage. No surprise, the trouble is black tank valve. Will test to see if any debris has been rinsed out. The dealer described the repair process, nothing I want to take on, but not a big thing for the experts.
Next, to figure out why the main awning doesn't fully retract on the rear arm, but stays out about two inches. Photos sent to dealer.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Iíve had similar problems and purchased a valterra valve that goes on where you attach your sewer hose. It acts as a safety in the event there is seepage past one of the tank valves. Once I have the hose connected to the trailer and into the drain then I open the valve before opening the waste valve on the tank. If they are leaking you will be able to see it if you have a clear elbow at either end and you wonít get any surprises taking the cap off.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #10

X2 on the exterior Valterra waste valve. Itís a great safety feature and cheap too. Make sure you put some sort of safety strap (wire ties) on it because they will fall off.
Tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
So, update. Grey tanks seem to be holding. Drained every drop out, put five gallons into them, no seepage. No surprise, the trouble is black tank valve. Will test to see if any debris has been rinsed out. The dealer described the repair process, nothing I want to take on, but not a big thing for the experts.
Next, to figure out why the main awning doesn't fully retract on the rear arm, but stays out about two inches. Photos sent to dealer.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

I have the same problem with my black tank and don't want to tear into the valve so I use the Valterra valve on the end. With regards to your awning. Mine did the same. The awning sits in a channel on the top of the rig. There should be a small screw going through the top of the channel into the part of the awning that feeds into the channel. I had to remove the screw and slide the awning at the top towards the back a few inches. Then I reset the screw. That kept my awning from sliding and the arms back into their slots.
spogdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
The last two trips out with our 2020 f28rks we've had the surprise of water waiting behind the cap. I'm good about having hose ready and catch this but have never had this issue with either previous RV. I'm assuming that the valves may be somewhat adjustable but that the belly cover would need opened. This last dump stop and both the front and galley connections had this problem. Anything I can do to remedy this, and I'm not wanting to add another shutoff to these, but to get the valves to function as they should.
This twist-on valve is the best $20 investment I've ever made. Actually $80, I've had one on 4 different rigs!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have added the Valterra valve at the end of the line like others. Glad we did. Makes life easier and less worry.

On the Glacier Peak, the valves are 3 feet from the handles....very hard to open and close due to the cable length. The only time I've had issues with seepage was debris caught in the valve.....drained the tank and put hot water in it. That did the trick.

You're under warranty....let them crawl under and remove the coroplast and deal with it.

Use the flush system every time you can.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have not had the problem, but added the Valtera valve for insurance. I lube my valves by using some vegetable oil in the tanks, The black tank gets it added between draining and flushing. While flushing I operate the handle several times to "work" the vegetable oil into the seals. Worked so far.

Tags
tank, valve