RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

Sewer Hose Won't Fit

We just picked up our new 250 RKS and am in the process of getting it set up. One surprise is that the bumper storage for the sewer hose is too small for the fittings of a Campco Rhino Flex hose. I can jam it in a little, but just barely before it binds up. Kind of disappointing. I know I could buy some PVC and make a storage container but just not crazy about that idea and don't know why they wouldn't include a bumper that can store a decent sewer hose.

Does anyone have suggestions on a decent quality sewer hose that fits the standard ORV bumper? The inside diameter of my bumper is 3.75".

Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

Just cut the lugs off the fitting. Had to do that once

fletch460 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Nothing to cut really - just too big of a fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200628_161533(1).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	291316  
Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The fitting should unscrew easily. Slide the slinky into the bumper and stow the fitting in your pass through. Works for me.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

This Rhino hose isn't designed for the fittings to come off. They swivel, but can't be taken off, at least not easily. For sure not what I want to mess with every time.
I could maybe file them down but that may weaken the side enough that it could break. If rather find a different style hose.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had that problem as well. I just placed a cheap sewer hose in that pipe and keep my Rhino in one of the storage compartments. The cheap sewer hose is good for dump sites. And the Rhino has end caps that keep it from leaking when you store it.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I had that problem as well. I just placed a cheap sewer hose in that pipe and keep my Rhino in one of the storage compartments. The cheap sewer hose is good for dump sites. And the Rhino has end caps that keep it from leaking when you store it.
Yep...won't go in. I gave up on ours. There are some weld seams inside as well that tear up your hose if you forced it in.

I put our Rhino hose in a long tupperware plastic storage container I got at Target years ago, the whole thing goes inside the front storage area of our fifth. Neat and tidy. No mess.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just bungee cord it to the back ladder. People following you will love it. LOL
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Why not just go to your local metal supply house and buy some 4" square tubing and replace that junk they ship from the factory......that will be much stronger AND your hose will fit
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Had the same issue on our 19 24RLS.
1- take a file and deburr each end of the bumper tube, there were some nasty and sharp burrs from the cutoff saw.
2- take an angle grinder with a sanding disc and give each flat on the Stinky Slinky fittings a kiss, it doesnt take much. By hitting each flat equally your not compromising the strength of the fitting.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #11

Home Depot 5" square PVC fence post sleeve and matching caps make storage easy and painted black look good. Mount above or below the existing. Sewer hose or folding ladders fit fine and use the smaller tube for long poles, washing extensions. Etc
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
BPTS & winemaker have the ideas. I've made three vinyl fence post carriers for above the standard metal tube and they work fine. I bought corner posts that have openings on two sides for ventalation and drainage. I screwed on one end cap, and hold the other end cap in place by a rod going through holes drilled top and bottom--never lost anything after thousands of miles.
I've always kept them white, but black might be good also due to the bumper already being black.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Why not just go to your local metal supply house and buy some 4" square tubing and replace that junk they ship from the factory......that will be much stronger AND your hose will fit
Bad idea in this instance. ORV has a rear hitch receiver on the bumper.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #14

Sounds like I'm not alone. So nobody has found another brand of hose that will fit?

Ours is a travel trailer and outside storage is at a premium - I don't want to waste any with a big plastic tub. I'll take a look again at BPTS's suggestion of knocking down the edges of the fitting. Was trying to avoid that so that I could return this one if I could find a different brand.

It surprises me that ORV doesn't use something that could accommodate a decent hose. I didn't have that problem with the same hose in our previous Arctic Fox trailer.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
hose