Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #1

Shoddy slide awning mounting

Just noticed today that the slide covers in both slides is coming away from the wall. This is on our 2020 Titanium, not on a ten year old RV.
No idea what to do about this, as it's coming up on being two years old, and thus out of warranty.
Both slides are on same side, so standing between them you can see this occuring in the rear of the bedroom closet slide and the front of the dinette slide. Kind of rules out road wind. On the main slide I can see a significant gap for about half the run of this mounting rail, which is also a rain gutter.
In another recent post, an owner found that his center awning support was loose and was only screwed into the siding. I wonder if this is more of the same.
I am really beginning to think trading in my Jayco for this was a mistake. We never had this many issues in all of the years we had the last fifth wheel.
Friends were thinking about an ORV too but after seeing the issues in ours have scratched it from consideration. I no longer sing their praises nor push their products.
[Moderator Edit}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210913_151004962_HDR.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	342976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210913_150921668.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	342977  

CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #2

These pics might make more sense. I've reached out to ORV by email with these pictures, asking what should be done, no response yet.
After thinking about it overnight, I'd imagine that the awning would need ran out, locked in place, then back in a way to give slack. From there not certain if the screws need tightened or if they are stripped out, and a possible water entry problem.
Anyone know if there is some structure behind for mounting these into?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1631650559270.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	343082   Click image for larger version

Name:	1631650296260.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	343083  

Name:	1631650103869.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	343084  
Old 09-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #3

My guess is the fabric needs to be removed from the mounting rail. Appears to me there is also some type of adhesive, in combination with the screws.

Try posting under Travel Trailer section for more exposure, and help. Slide out awnings are common amongst many different manufacturers.

Good Luck
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #4

Only the one comment on this. Maybe pointing out issues isn't what we are here for.
I'll try and find more positive things to comment on.
The factory has stepped up and I'm going to have the same local RV repair business that is removing and replacing my defective shower repair this awning fail too.
Something isn't right with main door hinges now. Dealer hit it with silicon which quieted it for a while, and I've repeated it a few more times, but still creaks like a haunted house.
The small access door to the garbage can storage is binding up and hard to open.
The outside paint to staying on though.
Glad I didn't go with a lesser quality build.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
but still creaks like a haunted house.
\
My dealer told me that was a feature... he called it the intruder alert feature.

-B

BTW: Just kidding... that would drive me crazy.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
Only the one comment on this. Maybe pointing out issues isn't what we are here for.
I'll try and find more positive things to comment on.
The factory has stepped up and I'm going to have the same local RV repair business that is removing and replacing my defective shower repair this awning fail too.
Something isn't right with main door hinges now. Dealer hit it with silicon which quieted it for a while, and I've repeated it a few more times, but still creaks like a haunted house.
The small access door to the garbage can storage is binding up and hard to open.
The outside paint to staying on though.
Glad I didn't go with a lesser quality build.
try this on your door hinge. I carry it in my rig.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-...df_B000BRUYSK/
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPNW View Post
try this on your door hinge. I carry it in my rig.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-...df_B000BRUYSK/
Thanks. I see that a few local stores carry it so might be able to pick it up today.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=CosmikDebris;5931847]Only the one comment on this. Maybe pointing out issues isn't what we are here for.

Most are here to help any way they can, but I will not comment or offer suggestions on issues I have no personal experience with. Other forums are full of people offering suggestions when, sometimes, you even wonder if they own an RV or have ever turned a wrench.

Wish you the best with your repair and I am following to see what ORV has to offer as a fix.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry you don't get the response you expect. Happens to all of us. I just say oh well and move one. Life's too short! Plenty of answers on the web if you search hard enough.

I use wd40 on my main door friction hinge when it gets too hard to open and close. Sometimes it will creak so I know when to reapply.

Repairing the trash door should be easy if you're at all handy. Check the hinges.

Awning railing is not attached correctly. The screws are pulling out. It will have to be removed and done correctly. The putty tape is there for water intrusion through the screw holes. I am not sure if there is a aluminum support behind that area in your model. Ours has it in the Glacier Peak, but is a 2016 model.

My trailer has never seen the dealer since I bought it.

Keep on camping!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I use wd40 on my main door friction hinge when it gets too hard to open and close. Sometimes it will creak so I know when to reapply.

Repairing the trash door should be easy if you're at all handy. Check the hinges.

Awning railing is not attached correctly. The screws are pulling out. It will have to be removed and done correctly. The putty tape is there for water intrusion through the screw holes. I am not sure if there is a aluminum support behind that area in your model. Ours has it in the Glacier Peak, but is a 2016 model.
I've wanted to avoid any wet lubricant so it doesn't gum up from dirt. I think that's what initially happened. When I told the dealer that the door was hard to close and sometimes popped open, they shot to full of some spray, which then spattered onto the door going down the highway. I later found that the strike plate was installed backwards which fixed the door issue but now the hinges squeak. Today I'm going to try compressed air and try and ungunk it, then shoot it with dry lube.
I've tried to figure out the little trash door hinges. When opened the door is very loose in the hinge but I don't see anyway to remedy that.
As for the slide covers, the factory said that it should be screwed into the wood roof framing. I can't see where there is a single screw visible along this rail, but can't believe it doesn't. No way that tape would've held it this long.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #11

Update on squeaking door

I didn't notice that the lower hinge, that was the noise maker, has a black rubber plug in the top. It was gunked up from whatever the dealer sprayed on it, and accumulated road dirt. Popped that out and tried some compressed air. No help. Carried no solvent like cleaner but DW had a spray bottle of vinegar. Gave it a few shots, then more compressed air, and now silent. I carry a can of the spray Dry Lube and finished it off with that.
Going to try and get another look at those slide covers today. The gap seems to be wider.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #12

To let you all know, ORV stepped up and had a local shop handle this for me, and covered the costs. It seems that several screws were coming out. The repair shop used what he called expanding rivots and resecured it to the exterior wall.
Thanks ORV!
Old 12-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #13

I thought you mentioned that the manufacturer said it was screwed into wood, how do expanding rivets work in wood ?
Quality Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #14

We'll, I guess if you miss the wood. I don't know what expanding rivots are but assume it's along the lines of pop rivets, so might be they had to drill out first, then attach.

Tags
awning, slide