Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #1

Shutoff valve for toilet line

One day, when my 250 RKS arrives I plan to install a shutoff valve in the water line to the toilet. This will keep me out of the tavern for a while and allow me to shut off the water in the off chance that the valve on the toilet starts to leak.

If anyone has done this, can they please let me know what parts I will need. I thought I saw somewhere I'd need a 1/2" sharkbite fitting, but I am not sure.

Thanks...
STDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
Community Moderator

A simpler and safer method is the install quick disconnects on the fresh and black tank flush hoses at the shore connnection. This way the entire tailer is protected from the risk of a leak. That is what we have on our trailer and boat. Additionally, we always turn the shore water off when we leave the rv and boat and disconnect the blank tank flush hose when not in use. If you want added safey you can quickly and easirly disconnect the fresh water hose when away from the trailer.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The first thing is we never leave a hose connected to the back tank flush. When parked for an extended period of time, we will dump out black tank after about 10 days....depends on how much beer is consumed.

It is pretty simple to cut the PEX line at the toilet and install a quarter turn Shark-bite in the line.

But it is really simple to shut off water to individual things in the RV. We have a water distribution manifold in the basement, and I can shut off hot or cold water as needed to each sink, shower, toilet, washer/drier, etc. I don't know why the manufacturers go cheap and not provide a service item.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:50 AM   #4

I've done this on a couple of RVs. The first time was when we had a flush valve leak and replaced the toilet, as an upgrade. I used 1/2" pex and crimp fittings, but shark bite would be easier, you don't need to buy the crimp tool. The hard part about this particular upgrade, and inline shutoff, was that the new toilet connections were in slightly dufferent places, requring me to have to use elbows and short pex sections, to get it all connected.
A direct install on the existing toilet should be easier, but you have to work around it. Being so that shark bites just push on you don't have to try and get crimper behind things.
Pretty straightforward.
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #5

I put a shut off valve on the toilet water line on our previous trailer after experiencing a leak in the foot flush pedal assembly.
I thought it was such a great idea I just installed one in my new Titanium a couple weeks ago.
It’s very easy job. I’ll try to find some links that will help you out.
bsmall2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall2800 View Post
I put a shut off valve on the toilet water line on our previous trailer after experiencing a leak in the foot flush pedal assembly.
I thought it was such a great idea I just installed one in my new Titanium a couple weeks ago.
It’s very easy job. I’ll try to find some links that will help you out.
Here’s what I bought. I ended up using the plastic Pex valve and not the metal one? I just liked the way it installed better.
Both the hose kit and metal valve were purchased from Amazon. The PEX valve I think I bought from HomeDepot or Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C6D69ED-053D-43E1-83F6-5E7A6A44C716.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	379502   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F323724-AE2E-4B0D-AA13-924CF2A6992A.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	379503  

Name:	3DF7CE47-D5C0-4D6B-9226-3E62D7C3DE09.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	379504   Click image for larger version

Name:	792FFA86-D647-4F83-8DEF-C4A10815AC4B.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	379505  

Name:	3051D9A1-826A-47EC-BC2D-A8E0E7BD6ED8.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	379506  
Old 10-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Here’s what I bought. I ended up using the plastic Pex valve and not the metal one? I just liked the way it installed better.
Both the hose kit and metal valve were purchased from Amazon. The PEX valve I think I bought from HomeDepot or Lowes.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will go hunt the valve down. I see that there is a piece of blue hoze or something on the lower end of the valve. Were you able to crimp the factory PEX onto the valve or did you have to shim things up with something?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDevil View Post
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will go hunt the valve down. I see that there is a piece of blue hoze or something on the lower end of the valve. Were you able to crimp the factory PEX onto the valve or did you have to shim things up with something?
The blue you see is just tape from the factory indicating a cold water line.
I did have a crimping style pliers that squeezes the metal ring for making a water tight seal around the fitting & water line.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I just did this little project. Our toilet began leaking on the last trip and I had to disconnect it so we could continue to use the rest of our plumbing. Fortunately I had an old low-point drain plug in my toolbox and it fit perfectly.

I was surprised (well, not really) that Forest River didn't bother to include a shutoff. My toilet is supplied with a 1/2" ID flexible hose, so I bought a sharkbite 1/4 turn valve and two standard hose clamps. Cut the hose, popped in the valve and cinched down the clamps. Good to go!

A Pex supply line would have been just as easy, as I already have crimpers. If you don't, they are easy to use but will cost you a few bucks. Not a bad idea to have them along in the event of another plumbing issue while on the road.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #10

Steve, yes I carry multiple pex fittings, extra pex line, crimp rings and crimping pliers in the trailer.
Our previous trailers toilet also started leaking and like you was surprised they don’t put a shut off valve in the service line to the toilet so I installed one.

Very glad I put one in the our ORV couple weeks ago something everyone should either install or have installed.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
The blue you see is just tape from the factory indicating a cold water line.
I did have a crimping style pliers that squeezes the metal ring for making a water tight seal around the fitting & water line.
Ah. Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a small metal sharkbite fitting and the water line you provided an image of (all from Amazon). I did not have the crimping pliers so I decided to just go with the sharkbite. I have never used sharkbites before but I assume it'll hold (I am an old solder and copper guy).

I really appreciated all the images you provided.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDevil View Post
Ah. Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a small metal sharkbite fitting and the water line you provided an image of (all from Amazon). I did not have the crimping pliers so I decided to just go with the sharkbite. I have never used sharkbites before but I assume it'll hold (I am an old solder and copper guy).

I really appreciated all the images you provided.
I don’t think you’ll have any problems using the Sharkbite products, the outcome will be the same.
You’re very welcome, glad I was able to help.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #13

Just make sure you push the line completely into the sharkbite.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Just make sure you push the line completely into the sharkbite.
x2 on this! Sharkbite fittings are fantastic - just need to make sure you get that line all the way in!
ContagiousYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, valve