Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #1

Simple solar

I have a single 100w panel on the roof with a Renogy charge controller. I have a simple question. I want to prevent overcharging when my 18rbs is parked for a couple of weeks in storage. I have a fuse going from my charge controller to the battery. I have not yet fused the other side (Positive from rooftop going to the charge controller). If I did fuse it I would think pulling the fuse would cut the incoming power to the controller and prevent any possible overcharging? Should I trust my controller to behave and not cook my wet lead acid batteries (Two 12v batteries)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

I would trust the controller. I leave my solar on 24/7 for the most part. My TT sits by my house and it's much easier after a trip to just let the solar and controller keep the batteries charged vs disconnecting the solar and plugging into shore power. I've been relying on my solar panels like that for 3 years. Only time they get disconnected is if I put the cover on for the winter.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #3

Should be fine. If you have flooded cell batteries just make sure they are topped off. You panel is only putting out about 5 amps at peak, and the controller will reduce the input when the batteries are fully charged so it won't overcharge.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTScruff View Post
I have a single 100w panel on the roof with a Renogy charge controller. I have a simple question. I want to prevent overcharging when my 18rbs is parked for a couple of weeks in storage. I have a fuse going from my charge controller to the battery. I have not yet fused the other side (Positive from rooftop going to the charge controller). If I did fuse it I would think pulling the fuse would cut the incoming power to the controller and prevent any possible overcharging? Should I trust my controller to behave and not cook my wet lead acid batteries (Two 12v batteries)?
Yes, with the others on this. Trust your controller.....at least I trust mine. You will need to periodically check the water level of your batteries. i find that I put about 1-1/2 quarts of water in my four 6v Golf Cart batteries about every 2 months.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar