Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Slide topper horizontal adjustment

Hi everyone. First post here. We just purchased a 2016 280RDSB Blackstone and used it for the first time this weekend. We're enjoying getting to know how things work and already have a list of things to figure out and adjust. The next item on the list is figuring out the horizontal slide topper adjustment. When we move the slide in the topper/awning rolls up crooked and gets in a bit of a bind. I've searched online and this forum but didn't find the answer. I couldnt see any manufacturer information on the toppers. Can anyone provide some direction?

I'm also enjoying making my way through the giant thread of ORV Modifications. Some really great ideas in there!

Thank you!

Eric
EricM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM74 View Post
Hi everyone. First post here. We just purchased a 2016 280RDSB Blackstone and used it for the first time this weekend. We're enjoying getting to know how things work and already have a list of things to figure out and adjust. The next item on the list is figuring out the horizontal slide topper adjustment. When we move the slide in the topper/awning rolls up crooked and gets in a bit of a bind. I've searched online and this forum but didn't find the answer. I couldnt see any manufacturer information on the toppers. Can anyone provide some direction?

I'm also enjoying making my way through the giant thread of ORV Modifications. Some really great ideas in there!

Thank you!

Eric
That"s a nice rig you have there! I don't know the answer to your question but I would find a place or person who installs toppers and ask them. I might even go to an RV dealer!

Welcome to this forum! By the way it would be great if you could complete your "signature" with rig and TV info similar to what I have below.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Bob. We're really enjoying it so far.

We have so many dealers close by that I'll probably take your advice and talk with one of them. When I have the answer I'll post it for others.

Also, signature completed! 😁
Old 05-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #4

Here's what I'd do. Take a look at the fabric on the roll to see if it's somewhat centered, or not. If it's somewhat centered on the roll, remove the two screws that secure the fabric in the groove/track on the camper. With the slide extended, pull/slide the fabric in the groove to one side, or the other a little and see how it rolls up. Once you have it rolling up correctly, reinstall the two screws in the groove.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Thanks Bob. We're really enjoying it so far.

We have so many dealers close by that I'll probably take your advice and talk with one of them. When I have the answer I'll post it for others.

Also, signature completed! 😁

Good luck and thanks for the signature!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf-Peeper View Post
Here's what I'd do. Take a look at the fabric on the roll to see if it's somewhat centered, or not. If it's somewhat centered on the roll, remove the two screws that secure the fabric in the groove/track on the camper. With the slide extended, pull/slide the fabric in the groove to one side, or the other a little and see how it rolls up. Once you have it rolling up correctly, reinstall the two screws in the groove.
Nailed it...... thatís what I had to do on my main awning... itís the little things that drive crazy.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #7

Exactly! Just replaced one a couple weeks ago. Easier than I thought it would be.

I cannot recommend Toughtop awnings. Much flimsier than the original. Saw them recommended on Irv2.
We'll see.
Quote:
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #8

https://youtu.be/Y9aQ_YFKVqw
Choclabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll try this after work and see how it goes. All 3 toppers have a space between the rod holding the fabric and the screws holding the rod in so I should be able to move it slightly one way or the other.

I tried pulling on the fabric with the slide out and it wouldn't move due to being so tight so I may try removing the screws and using a punch to tap the rod to the side. I'll report back with the results but it sounds like this has been successful for others.

I appreciate the feedback! These forums are great for helping each other out. I've had a difficult time finding answers to some things specific to ORV products so this is very helpful.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclabs View Post
Thank you for this link! I didn't notice the "set screws" through the aluminum keeper but I'm sure they are there. That's likely why it wouldn't move the first time I tried it.
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #11

Not every slide out has the set screws.
Watch some utube videos on how to change the topper and you will see how to put a pin (I used a piece of clothes hanger) in the roller. Then run the slide in just a little. That takes the tension off allowing you to easily adjust the part attached to the RV.
Only one end of my roller has a place to insert the wire. AE brand. Right end while looking at it.
Good luck!
Quote:
Thank you for this link! I didn't notice the "set screws" through the aluminum keeper but I'm sure they are there. That's likely why it wouldn't move the first time I tried it.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horizon, slide