Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2022, 08:03 PM   #1

Snowload

I wonder what kind of snow load the ORV trailers can take ? I have been raking the snow off as best i can but wonder if we get 2-3 ft in a storm and i cannot get to it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

When I did the math on the wettest snow possible, it looked like it would take 10 feet or so to equal the same load as me walking around. I don't think 2-3 feet can damage the structure and since removing the snow risks damaging things up there, I leave it alone until there is 2' or so. 2 cents
Old 12-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanks, iím not worried about psf load, its the total load that worries me. Manual says to keep it cleared when possible.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:10 PM   #4

Wet snow is about 13-14 pounds per square foot. On a 10x25 roof, two feet will weigh about 7000 pounds. Plan accordingly!

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #5

This was a topic on the FB owners group awhile ago. A couple feet won't cause a problem on an ORV roof. These roofs are pretty strong... far stronger than most. My sons 1973 travelair has had 1-1.5 ft. On its flat roof without issue
Old 12-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

Nick, if I remember correctly you are on the west side off the McCarr loop. So you get that lovely heavy wet Sierra Cement, which means your total snow load is going to be high even under a few inches of snow.The second issue you will have is when we get that wet snow and it turns bitter cold around here and the bottom layer freezes, it can jack all kinds of fittings and cause all kinds of damage and leaks later.

What I have done in the past is build a lightweight frame with a steep pitch to sit ontop an old RV and cover it with a tarp, then the snow just slides off. It's a bit of a pain, if you go out a lot, but it will make your life easier. At least you don,t have to deal with the frequent 60 mph winds we have out here by Lahontan.

Dave
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #7

Iím in Graeagle now, moved here from Lamoille
Old 12-12-2022, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Nick, if I remember correctly you are on the west side off the McCarr loop. So you get that lovely heavy wet Sierra Cement, which means your total snow load is going to be high even under a few inches of snow.The second issue you will have is when we get that wet snow and it turns bitter cold around here and the bottom layer freezes, it can jack all kinds of fittings and cause all kinds of damage and leaks later.

What I have done in the past is build a lightweight frame with a steep pitch to sit ontop an old RV and cover it with a tarp, then the snow just slides off. It's a bit of a pain, if you go out a lot, but it will make your life easier. At least you don,t have to deal with the frequent 60 mph winds we have out here by Lahontan.

Dave
There is nothing better you can do than store any RV under a roof. I had a commercial tent for my last RV and it was great. I'm currently planning on building a hard roof carport for my 25rds but another option (and one I think is better than any tarp or cover) is to shrinkwrap it. I've done this many times for both my boat and RV and it works great. Downside is that it is a "one and done" thing - it's garbage when removed so you need to leave it on all winter to get the value.

Dave
Old 12-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
There is nothing better you can do than store any RV under a roof. I had a commercial tent for my last RV and it was great. I'm currently planning on building a hard roof carport for my 25rds but another option (and one I think is better than any tarp or cover) is to shrinkwrap it. I've done this many times for both my boat and RV and it works great. Downside is that it is a "one and done" thing - it's garbage when removed so you need to leave it on all winter to get the value.

Dave
Does the interior of the RV get moldy when it's shrinkwrapped?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
NV Nick, I live in South Lake Tahoe and kept my 25RDS here for the first winter we had it. I now winter it in Gardnerville. When it was up here with our famous "Sierra Cement", I tried to keep the snow off. At first I did not, the snow was nice and fluffy. Then it partially melts, then freezes, then snowed some more, etc. I strongly suggest you try to keep up on it. I use an orange rubberized snow rake on a 6' metal pole. I have used either a 12' telescoping ladder or an 8' standard folding ladder. Good luck. By the way, we just had 5' over the weekend. Glad my camper is off the hill.
Teakmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #11

I’m keeping most of it off of there with a roof rake, i know what you mean about snow then freeze etc as i have an 8.5x20 enclosed trlr and a few years ago it flattened the bows in the roof so now i prop the center of the bows the length of the trailer. I’m going to check into covered storage for it until we get something built for it.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Does the interior of the RV get moldy when it's shrinkwrapped?
Nope. The shrinkwrap has vents in it but I also use two Dri-Air chemical moisture collectors in it. Our environment isn't particularly humid but no issues with regards to moisture at all.

Dave
Old 12-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakmtn View Post
NV Nick, I live in South Lake Tahoe and kept my 25RDS here for the first winter we had it. I now winter it in Gardnerville. When it was up here with our famous "Sierra Cement", I tried to keep the snow off. At first I did not, the snow was nice and fluffy. Then it partially melts, then freezes, then snowed some more, etc. I strongly suggest you try to keep up on it. I use an orange rubberized snow rake on a 6' metal pole. I have used either a 12' telescoping ladder or an 8' standard folding ladder. Good luck. By the way, we just had 5' over the weekend. Glad my camper is off the hill.
Yep, if it's cold enough, sometimes you can even blow the snow off when it's fresh using a leaf blower. No damage from shovels, brooms or rakes that way.

Dave
Old 12-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Iím going to check into covered storage for it until we get something built for it.
Best choice IMO.

Dave