Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some cold weather thoughts and tips

Every year a close friend and I head to Montana for a late season hunting adventure. This takes place from mid to late November and the temperatures vary widely from 5 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

In the past we always took a canvas wall tent with a wood stove. It was generally comfortable but getting a decent shower was difficult at best. Since getting my ORV trailer a few years ago we have been taking it instead of the tent.

Here are a few things I have done to upgrade the trailer for the cold weather we can have.
  1. I sprayed foam sealant underneath the front fiberglass cap of the trailer.
  1. I covered the interior of the front storage compartment with sheet insulation I purchased at Home Depot.
  2. My trailer has an outdoor kitchen. I took an old sleeping bag and stuffed it around the slide out kitchen to add extra insulation behind the door. I also stuffed some insulation around the outdoor shower.
  3. I removed the inside cover to the AC unit and noticed that it was poorly insulated from the outside cold so I stuffed a couple of old throw pillows up inside and then reinstalled the cover.
  4. I took off the access panels to the plumbing beneath all the sinks and the shower to get warm air to the plumbing.
  5. I bought some foam grey squares, used for stress relief when people have to stand for long periods. They connect like puzzle pieces and I cut them to cover the floor. This kept our feet warm and helped insulate the floor.
  6. I set the heat at 55 when we were sleeping and during the day when we were gone from camp.
  7. I used foam insulation blocks in the roof vents. During high moisture times, such as when someone was taking a shower, I would remove them and open the vent but reinstall them later.

All of these modifications worked fairly well. We used three 30 pound bottles of propane in two weeks. I had the fresh water tank freeze up for a few days. Next year I will install a tank heater. When the tank froze up I stuck the bypass hose into a spare 7 gallon water jug and turned the valve as if I was pumping in the pink antifreeze. This kept us going until it warmed up enough to thaw the tank out.
Of course there are other things people do to stay warm. Covering the widows with Reflectex or putting blankets over the door but I have dual pane windows so I just kept the blinds down at night.

I would love to hear any other ideas you have tried for short term cold weather adventures.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How did you get the foam under the cap? Maybe I could take out the shelves above the bed and stuff insulation in from there. But as I recall, there's a fair amount of wiring running around in that space so would have to be careful.

I've cut and stuffed foam "noodles" under the rubber flaps of the slide.

And have often thought that some sort of skirting around the bottom of the trailer would help. But maybe that's more of a long-term solution.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing all your tips with us.

But I can't help think how much ORV's marketing claim "Climate Designed Four Seasons Package" fails in so many ways. As you've shown the reality is the package only good for four seasons of relatively steady mild weather in the coastal regions of the NW, not for all of the "Mountain States & Western Canada" they say it's designed for.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Brulaz there was a gap at the bottom of the front fiberglass cap. Some folks mentioned that mice could climb up through that gap and setup housekeeping in the fiberglass bat insulation between the cap and the front wall of the trailer. Sometime after my trailer was built they started putting a barrier down there to keep mice out. I just sprayed some foam along the bottom as a way to mouse proof the front end and hopefully to keep some cold air from creeping in that way.

I haven’t been able to figure out a low cost, easy, simple way to skirt the bottom of the trailer for short trips. If I was staying in one spot for the winter I would head to Home Depot and find a solution but for a week or two in the middle of nowhere I am still pondering ideas.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I haven’t been able to figure out a low cost, easy, simple way to skirt the bottom of the trailer for short trips. If I was staying in one spot for the winter I would head to Home Depot and find a solution but for a week or two in the middle of nowhere I am still pondering ideas.
Not sure what definitions you're using for "low cost" and "simple", but you could check with an upholstery shop and have a skirt custom made out of the same heavy fabric they use for boat covers, including snaps for attaching to your trailer. (Look on Amazon for "Canvas Snap Kits" to get an idea...) If you really want to get carried away, have them make it a little long and put grommets holes on the ground side so you can stake it down.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Not sure what definitions you're using for "low cost" and "simple", but you could check with an upholstery shop and have a skirt custom made out of the same heavy fabric they use for boat covers, including snaps for attaching to your trailer. (Look on Amazon for "Canvas Snap Kits" to get an idea...) If you really want to get carried away, have them make it a little long and put grommets holes on the ground side so you can stake it down.
I seriously looked into doing this and it is probably the best solution. I just couldn’t see putting all those snaps around the clean smooth lines of my trailer. I just felt it would look kinda tacky to have snaps every six inches around the bottom. The price was kind of spendy for only needing it a few times a year as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

Fully Enclosed Heated Insulated Underbelly

This is the same line advertised for my Kodiak Cub. The Kitchen faucet supply lines froze within 2 hours of the temperature dropping from 34 deg F to 29 deg f. The temperature in the fresh water tank dropped to 34 degrees in about 3 days with temperatures down to 20 deg F. The furnace was running and set to 65 deg.
However, I am surprised the ORV tank froze. ORV has many good references in iRV2 forums. I suppose most of those owners don't winter camp. I assume you had the furnace running and were not using electric heat.
You may wish to check for problems with air flow and sealing in the underbelly. RV furnaces don't have outstanding blowers in them. Any unplanned obstructions can have a major impact.
Removing an obstruction, insulating, and sealing the underbelly in mine corrected my Cub problem and does not require shore power or generator to work. I now get stable 45 deg air coming out of the belly.
Removing and replacing the underbelly cover was however a major project.
Each 12 v tank heater now installed in my Cub draws 20 amp when the thermocouple turns on. I don't use then for dry camping.

Regards,
Paul Bristol
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll add my own list, most of which have photos in the mods thread.
  1. I also did the insulation in the pass-through storage.
  2. Where the bed platform meets the wall there was a gap that let in a draft. I caulked this.
  3. A layer of the same foam insulation used in the pass-through storage was added to the bed platform.
  4. I added a layer of Enkadrain (a construction product often sold as a moisture barrier for mattresses) below the mattress and behind the rear cushions of the dinette (we had a sheet of ice form on the wall prior to doing this).
  5. The center vent in the kitchen was replaced by one with a damper so that more air could be directed to the ends. Prior to doing this, the ends were typically 15ºF colder than the center.
  6. We carry a dehumidifier. This provides two purposes: removing humidity from the air and working as a circulation fan to stir up the air and minimize cold spots.
  7. Replaced the thermostat with a battery-powered digital one. This seems to result in fewer start/stop cycles on the furnace and keeps the temperature more stable.
  8. Added foam insulation gaskets to the outlets above the nightstands.
  9. Added additional insulation around the ceiling vents (removed the shroud) because there were a lot of gaps.

We have been out as low as 10ºF for a few days but have not had any issues with freezing. Like you, I noticed a lot of heat loss from the air conditioner, though I haven't done anything about that yet. It's the first area to melt on the roof when it snows.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I just couldn’t see putting all those snaps around the clean smooth lines of my trailer. I just felt it would look kinda tacky to have snaps every six inches around the bottom.
Put them on the underside of the trailer; the fabric will just fold along the line of snaps.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

We were camping over Thanksgiving in the Lake Powell area (30s overnight). Our emergency exit window, at the foot of the queen bed in the 21 DBS, literally rattles when you touch it - no seal at all. Same with the cargo door next to the lower bunk. Ran the heater all night, 5 people and a dog inside, still cold as heck. Ridiculous to claim to be 4 Seasons, brag about insulation, but not take care to make sure openings are sealed. You could literally feel cold air blowing around those areas.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
R.B. those are some good ideas I will incorporate next trip. I will look at the insulation around the vents and check on some foam gaskets for the outlets as I noticed some cold drafts coming through those.

I should have mentioned that this was a two week boondocking trip. There are no hookups where we hunt just some BLM ground you can park on. We only used the furnace in the trailer, no electric heat. The furnace ran for about 7-10 minutes and then went off for 7-10 minutes when it was at the coldest. I don't know if a dehumidifier would work if you only have A.C. during the mornings and evenings.

We run a 2000 watt Yamaha generator. We fire it up when we get back to camp in the evening and shut it off when we go to bed. We start it back up again in the morning until we leave to hunt. I expect it ran about 6 hours a day on average because of the short daylight hours. I brought my portable solar panels but between the snow storms and the overcast days I never used them. The coldest night I let the generator run all night as I was worried the furnace would deplete my two 6 volt batteries. We used maybe 10 gallons of gas in the generator over a two week period. Running the fridge on propane all the time, the generator barely came off of idle, as it was mostly keeping the batteries charged and giving us A.C. for charging our GPS units and a few outside lights.

To those who fault Outdoors RV for calling this a 4 season trailer I would say that down to about 15 degrees it worked just fine. I consider single digits pretty harsh for camping and most probably don't camp at those temps very often. I am still very satisfied with the trailer. It beats a tent, I was comfortable inside on the coldest nights with the furnace running, I didn't use as much propane as I thought I would, and keeping the water running was the biggest challenge. I'm not sure what our expectations of a trailer should be as far as winter camping. Maybe someday they will come out with degree ratings for trailers like they have for sleeping bags. A zero degree trailer will be guaranteed not to freeze up down to zero. That's a lot to ask of a trailer. Perhaps when they come out with better, more efficient furnaces, we will see that happen.

If I had a tank heater on the fresh water tank I don't think I would have had any problems with the water. I believe the pickup tube for the fresh water is in the bottom of the tank and that is probably one of the first places to freeze up. I will put a tank heating blanket on the tank for next year. I am thinking a 120 A.C. one would probably work best. I can just run it off the generator and it will warm it enough to get through the night.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Put them on the underside of the trailer; the fabric will just fold along the line of snaps.
Hmm, I may have to ponder this idea further.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a You Tube video featuring a Glacier Peak parked in the McCall, ID area if I remember right. Lots of snow around the rig. The owner has a custom vinyl skirt (with snaps) around the trailer. It seems to work well.
There are some great ideas in this thread-----thanks.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
winter rv camping

The site Blazzing Zipp is talking about is called RV ACROSS AMERICA lots of tips winter camping fulltime
benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather