RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Staple under vinyl flooring

Just found this last week on a camping trip. Hard to tell in the pic but it's a staple under the flooring right in front of the bathroom door. It's sticking up under the vinyl about 1/8" and is about 5/16" wide. Hammering it down would IMO cut into the vinyl and leave a cut.
I'm calling Todd tomorrow and see what to do. Not that I don't trust Apache where we bought it but they're 50 miles away and making four 1 hour trips in the middle of camping season won't cut it. Guessing they won't really do anything if I just bring it up there. Thinking I'd have to leave it.
I put some green tape on it so we won't accidentally step on it. Good part is it's actually not where you naturally step when entering the bathroom.
Anyone ever have this issue and what was the fix?
Bought the 25RDS May 4th so warranty's not an issue at this point.

FWIW I have several other unhappy issues as well. Semi discouraged with ORV, but still love the floor plan, just not some of the 'could careless' quality of work in a few areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	staple.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	254417  
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Probably a fastener for something underneath the trailer. Driven in too far. Or it could be something left over (FOD) trapped underneath the vinyl. Easy to make a small slice and look. Then re-glue it. Have the cut follow the grain pattern.

What about knocking it down level with the floor? I don't see how that would do any damage. I wouldn't take that to a dealer for repair.

Todd may be able to advise what that is retaining underneath. Maybe not.

Small details drove us crazy when ours was new as well. Including the television died and Todd sent us a new one.

You're on your own after the first year. Find all the issues you can during that warranty time is my advise.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

Easy to make a small slice and look. Then re-glue it. Have the cut follow the grain pattern.

Good idea. Don't think anybody would ever notice the cut later. The wood grain floors have their advantages.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yep, that's how I repaired a rip in our vinyl floor where the slide screw grabbed it and tore it.
Can't even tell I repaired it. Only I know.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Cumminsfan How did you fix this? I also have a staple in front of the fridge and took it to our dealer and they didn’t know what to do. I have a message in to Todd at ORV.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewr06 View Post
Cumminsfan How did you fix this? I also have a staple in front of the fridge and took it to our dealer and they didn’t know what to do. I have a message in to Todd at ORV.
I took a razor knife with a new blade, made a 3/4" slit right in front of the bump. I followed the grain pattern in the flooring. I then used a small knife to lift up one side of the cut to expose what was causing the bump. That's when I saw it was a staple and not a random piece of debris.
I used a chunk of flat wood and a hammer and knocked down the staple.
I was going to just pull it out but it was in pretty deep and I didn't want to risk slipping up and possibly tearing the vinyl.
I never glued the slit in the vinyl and it's been unnoticeable since I did the repair.
Honestly standing over the bump area I can't see anything weird when looking at the floor.
There's so much action in the floor with the grain and colors that even if there was an imperfection it probably wouldn't stand out.

As of now I'm not going to glue it. I think the key is to get a deep cut all the way thru in one pass. Trying to cut through in multiple passes runs the risk of making the cut wider.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glue it and seal it so water doesn't get under the floor. Then forget about it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I took a razor knife with a new blade, made a 3/4" slit right in front of the bump. I followed the grain pattern in the flooring. I then used a small knife to lift up one side of the cut to expose what was causing the bump. That's when I saw it was a staple and not a random piece of debris.
I used a chunk of flat wood and a hammer and knocked down the staple.
I was going to just pull it out but it was in pretty deep and I didn't want to risk slipping up and possibly tearing the vinyl.
I never glued the slit in the vinyl and it's been unnoticeable since I did the repair.
Honestly standing over the bump area I can't see anything weird when looking at the floor.
There's so much action in the floor with the grain and colors that even if there was an imperfection it probably wouldn't stand out.

As of now I'm not going to glue it. I think the key is to get a deep cut all the way thru in one pass. Trying to cut through in multiple passes runs the risk of making the cut wider.
Thank you Cumminsfan. I’m still under warranty so I’m waiting for ORV to reply. Otherwise I will slice and patch myself.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll second the disappointing quality. We've had tons of issues with our 2019 21rd. 3 weeks out of warranty and now we have a mystery electrical problem. The fit and finish is really suspect. Things installed crooked and those cabinet catches being installed multiple times leaving too little wood for them to work correctly. Whoever was on the line doing finish work wasn't on their game when our coach was built.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a similar issue with our 2016. I laid a 2x4 flat on the floor over the nail and smacked the 2x4 with a hammer. Problem solved.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring, vinyl