Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2023, 06:26 AM   #1

Surge Protector Placement

I needed a new surge protector and got the hughes 30amp epo built in unit. I didnt realize how big this thing was and it has me wondering where I can actually mount it. Anyone else with a 27TRX that installed a built in surge protector? Where did you mount it? I love my TRX but man did they put some things in impossible places to get to... ie water pump, inverter, etc.
goallight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2023, 08:17 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Pretty typical that rv manufacturers some things in impossible places to get to. Could return the hard wired one and buy a portable surge protector that connects to the shore power supply......that is what I use. One advantage is that it confirms the shore power supply is safe prior to connecting shore power cord to your rev.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Pretty typical that rv manufacturers some things in impossible places to get to. Could return the hard wired one and buy a portable surge protector that connects to the shore power supply......that is what I use. One advantage is that it confirms the shore power supply is safe prior to connecting shore power cord to your rev.
May have to but trying to avoid that. The theft of the plug in ones is a big reason why I opted for the built in.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:59 AM   #4

4+ years on this site. Never heard of a stolen surge protector .
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
4+ years on this site. Never heard of a stolen surge protector .
I never thought of it too until talking to some people who had theirs stolen. I personally had someone steal the bumper end covers off my old trailer. Almost lost my sewer hose driving down the highway. Irony is that we were the only TT in a park filled with Class A rigs. No idea what someone would do with them or would want them for a class A. Since then I am just a little extra cautious since people will apparently steal anything I guess.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:52 PM   #6

I've had the portables for years, and the biggest worry isn't theft, its forgetting to pack it back in before leaving camp.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:03 AM   #7

I purchased my portable 30A Surge Guard from TechnoRV.com and it included a Master Cable Lock, which takes about 30 seconds to secure. Like most security devices it just keeps honest people honest. Heavy cable cutters might remove it, but you can't just walk up and steal the Surge Guard.

I also agree that the advantage of the portable is the ability to test the pedestal before you get set up. It doesn't happen often, but there's nothing worse than getting leveled and unhooked only to discover no power or faulty wiring (it's happened to me).

Mike
Old 03-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goallight View Post
...... The theft of the plug in ones is a big reason why I opted for the built in.
Never had or heard of a surge protector theft in 20+ years. Theft can be mitigated with a cable lock.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:31 AM   #9

Quote:
I never thought of it too until talking to some people who had theirs stolen. I personally had someone steal the bumper end covers off my old trailer. Almost lost my sewer hose driving down the highway. Irony is that we were the only TT in a park filled with Class A rigs. No idea what someone would do with them or would want them for a class A. Since then I am just a little extra cautious since people will apparently steal anything I guess.
There's a good chance that some of the reported thefts were just people leaving them behind.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:52 AM   #10

goallight-

I don't own a similar trailer, but am willing to offer suggestions. Could you post some pictures of:

1) The 120V cable entrance, and
2) The first item (and its environs) that the 120V cable terminates upon, and
3) The inverter (and its environs)?

That will give us some idea on where you might mount the new device.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
I needed a new surge protector and got the hughes 30amp epo built in unit. I didnt realize how big this thing was and it has me wondering where I can actually mount it. Anyone else with a 27TRX that installed a built in surge protector? Where did you mount it? I love my TRX but man did they put some things in impossible places to get to... ie water pump, inverter, etc.

Looking at the layout, here are my thoughts:
1: behind the Elec breaker panel.
2: Under the shower.
3: In the pantry above the Elec breaker.

I have not seen this unit, so may not work.
JimRV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRV22 View Post
Looking at the layout, here are my thoughts:
1: behind the Elec breaker panel.
2: Under the shower.
3: In the pantry above the Elec breaker.

I have not seen this unit, so may not work.

I just realized this unit has a built in generator. The locations I suggested would also protect the generator output. Something you may not want to do.. I would find the shore power/generator transfer switch and try to mount it close if possible.
JimRV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #13

On my 250 RDS, the cord comes in right under the dinnette. If I was going to install a built in, it would be right at that inlet. I would bet there is some room to install it right there, I would assume it's on the left side at the rear of the coach. Might have to surface mount it inside the garage.

As for stolen portables, I bet a tiny portion of RVers post here. I have heard of them walking away. It wouldn't stop me from using a portable, I think it's a better solution. Surge protection doesn't last forever, current thinking in the electronics industry is about a 5 year service life. They are a different application, but I think it's still a good idea to replace them on a regular basis.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:58 AM   #14

goallight, you are right about things being a major PIA to get at in the TRX. I have a 29TRX and you need to be a contortionist to get at the water pump, hot water tank bypass valves (the water lines are crammed!), and low drainvalves. Even changing the oil in the generater is a pain when draining the oil. By the way I put magnets in place of the screws that hold the cover panels over the water pump/hot water tank. Makes things much quicker/easier.

If you want to mount that built in surge protector I think you're going to run into another PIA because I 'believe" the only access to where the outside 30 amp plug is would be behind the TV or under the TV through those cabinets in the garage area. Can't imagine that would be easy to get at. I've been using a regular plug in protector myself.

Tags
ace