RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Suspension Maintenance Schedule

One day I became aware that my "new 2015 CreekSide 20fq" was 5 years old and has 30,000 plus miles on it. Causing me start thinking towards packing the wheel bearings(I've EZ-Lubed them a couple times)checking into the rockers, shackles, bushings, bolts, brakes etc. I have had it on my agenda to replace all the bolts, shackles and rockers with a MorRyde rocker setup(wet bolts, bronze bushings etc) and new shocks. Due to a broken spring I was more or less forced into making this happen. After dis-assembling both sides I will say that 30,000 miles is the point that the suspension assy. needs to be addressed. All of my nylon bushings had reasonable but expected wear, some more than others. One nylon bushing was missing from the factory on the rocker, drivers side. In general, everything, save for the missing nylon bushing was in tact but loose. Two of the drums had grease from the EZ-Lube set up, though I'd greased them properly. The other two had grease in the backing plate area but not to the shoes. Bearings were all still in acceptable condition, grease was somewhat "thin" thinking due to heat break down from the hubs being filled with grease and building up pressure.
I'm now on the home stretch of this endeavor and when I'm done:
1. 4 new springs
2. MorRyde rocker and wet bolt kit
3. New Monroe Magnum Gas Shocks
4. 4 new sets of brakes
5. New Timken brand bearings and seals
6. Buffed and painted the frame and axles.

Definitely recommend having a look at your suspension system if you have anywhere near those miles.

Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At that point it would almost be easier to take the wheels off and unbolt everything from the frame. The only thing you kept was the axles.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Suspension Maintenance Schedule

I've a 2016 20FQ and ever since day 1 it's always been noisy to tow.
In fact, I often refer to it as our "CreekUnder" instead of CreekSide.
I've taken to spray lube on the spring joints a couple times a year and that quiets it down but to me that is a band-aid. Going to the wet bolts and upgraded after market parts is on my mind but I am not sure how (where) to order the parts and get the right stuff.
jmalone74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Possibly the factory.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalone74 View Post

Going to the wet bolts and upgraded after market parts is on my mind but I am not sure how (where) to order the parts and get the right stuff.
I've ordered from:

etrailer in the States
cerka in Ontario Canada

And I agree with the OP. From my experience, about 30-35K miles and it's time for new suspension and new tires. Currently on #3 for everything.

Trailer running gear is definitely not as robust as a truck or motor home's.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I spoke with Morride customer service last fall about the life expectancy of the wet bolt system. They quoted me 100K and recommended grease at every 6K. I have about 25K on my ORV and just replaced the wheel bearings with Timkens with new Timken seals. I grease the bearings using the EZ feature about every 1K and the wet bolts at the same time. The old bearings and seals looked good.

It really came down to boredom and the our unwillingness to go anywhere right now, so I did a little PM in the down time.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Email todd.morton@outdoorsrvmfg.com with your vin number and he will send you the part numbers you need and you may be able to buy direct from them at a discount.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

I got the wet bolts and the rockers from E-Bay. My wife and kids got me the shocks for Fathers Day. Not sure where they got them. Wet bolts were like $90.00-ish? I seem to recall. The rockers were $175.00.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In the past I have had Eaton Spring fabricate leaf springs for me for my Nova, 3 trucks and 2 trailers.
You tell them the eye diameter, eye to eye length, arch and # rating you want.
Easy peasy, the trailer springs ran right at $100.00 per spring. Yes a bit more expensive than etrailer or other sources for trailer springs but they are 1st rate quality, US steel and have held up very well for hauling a Bobcat every day (Brother in Laws).
There is a difference between IndiChiniPaki steel and US steel. The BIL got just under a year on his factory flatbed trailer springs before one broke and now has 4 years on his Eatons.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
In the past I have had Eaton Spring fabricate leaf springs for me for my Nova, 3 trucks and 2 trailers.
You tell them the eye diameter, eye to eye length, arch and # rating you want.
Easy peasy, the trailer springs ran right at $100.00 per spring. Yes a bit more expensive than etrailer or other sources for trailer springs but they are 1st rate quality, US steel and have held up very well for hauling a Bobcat every day (Brother in Laws).
There is a difference between IndiChiniPaki steel and US steel. The BIL got just under a year on his factory flatbed trailer springs before one broke and now has 4 years on his Eatons.
Actually Eaton was the first company I called and they told me it'd be at least $250.00 per spring. He said they keep rate doable for cars cause it's hand me down info and there is little in the way of tooling and legwork. He said they had no data on hand for trailer springs and that was the reason for the high cost. Maybe I caught the wrong guy on a Wednesday morning, but it wasn't very encouraging. I would really like to go the route of American Steel and quality. I may just need to call them back and hope someone else answers the phone
Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #11

Just one thing I forgot. Had my brakes not been gooped up with grease they wouldn't have required replacement. They still had way more than 75%.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
Just one thing I forgot. Had my brakes not been gooped up with grease they wouldn't have required replacement. They still had way more than 75%.

If you take your time, a $3 can of brake cleaner goes along way to saving the old brake pads. Any residue grease will then burn off after the next few stops if the drums are clean and dry. I have 100k+ on my fifth wheel brakes and do yearly/10k inspections and packing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If you take your time, a $3 can of brake cleaner goes along way to saving the old brake pads. Any residue grease will then burn off after the next few stops if the drums are clean and dry. I have 100k+ on my fifth wheel brakes and do yearly/10k inspections and packing.
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Brake Cleaner....the stuff dreams are made of......................

Tags
maintenance, suspension