Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tank support

I've seen a few scary stories elsewhere online of inadequate tank supports, leaving water tanks on the ground.

To those trailer owners who have dropped their coroplast and actually looked at the tank supports- how are we ORV owners set? pics would be great

I'd especially like to know about the 22FQS, but am assuming most ORV trailer models will be similar. For boondocking purposes, I would like to be able to travel with full fresh water, and drive on dirt roads.
PaulStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #2

I've got some pics somewhere but I don't think we have anything to worry about. I travel with full tanks all the time and I did the same with my 2020 21RBS.

Dave
Old 08-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #3

My 2020 21 RBS had three U channels bolted to the frame....looks like maybe 1 1/2" deep and maybe 1/8" thick.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know that what came from the "factory" is barely adequate to hold the tank empty, and now your going to put water in it? Are you nuts ?
For your own piece of mind, get under there and use some heavy channel iron, AND twice as many as they did..............
Water weighs 8.3#/ gal and F=MA Remember that ?
Bouncing down the trail with a tub full of water ?
Think about it.................

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStafford View Post
I've seen a few scary stories elsewhere online of inadequate tank supports, leaving water tanks on the ground.

To those trailer owners who have dropped their coroplast and actually looked at the tank supports- how are we ORV owners set? pics would be great

I'd especially like to know about the 22FQS, but am assuming most ORV trailer models will be similar. For boondocking purposes, I would like to be able to travel with full fresh water, and drive on dirt roads.
The tanks are held up by tow "fabricated U-channels". Prolly 16-14 gauge. One is welded in place, the tank is slid into place and then the second one on the opposite side is put up in place and screwed to the frame. One of the welds broke loose on mine...zero penetration. I rewelded both of the welded ones, then added bracing under them. The bolted ones seemed real solid so I left them be. What I wish I'd done while the coroplast was down was put a support strap right in the middle of the tank for additional support. Really frustated with myself for not thinking of that at the time.....as usual the pic is sideways. it should be rotated 90* clockwise
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	373691
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:41 PM   #6

My 24KRS used a bolted cross member to support the 100-gallon tank. One bolt per end, and one end of mine came loose. The dealer fixed it, so I don’t know if there was a second supporting member.

I noticed it when I was looking for ways to run wire under the trailer. I did not actually lose the tank in the middle of some bumpy road, but if I had not seen it then I probably would have lost it on the next trip.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
You know that what came from the "factory" is barely adequate to hold the tank empty, and now your going to put water in it? Are you nuts ?
For your own piece of mind, get under there and use some heavy channel iron, AND twice as many as they did..............
Water weighs 8.3#/ gal and F=MA Remember that ?
Bouncing down the trail with a tub full of water ?
Think about it.................

Mike in Colorado
Where do you get the idea that the supports are "barely adequate to hold the tank empty"? I've used both my ORVs offroad with full tanks every time without an issue. I'll let you know when my tank falls out. 😉👍
Old 08-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Where do you get the idea that the supports are "barely adequate to hold the tank empty"? I've used both my ORVs offroad with full tanks every time without an issue. I'll let you know when my tank falls out. 😉👍
I'm not thinking that the design is barely adequate, but the design is not a good one, though nearly every manufacturer uses this design. You have about 2"-3" of "lip" on each end of the tank that supports all the weight that is generated in the center....then bouncing down the road the impact of that weight increases exponentially. And if the welds are junk like mine were, failure is almost certain. I think a center strap is a real good additional support.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
I'm not thinking that the design is barely adequate, but the design is not a good one, though nearly every manufacturer uses this design. You have about 2"-3" of "lip" on each end of the tank that supports all the weight that is generated in the center....then bouncing down the road the impact of that weight increases exponentially. And if the welds are junk like mine were, failure is almost certain. I think a center strap is a real good additional support.
My 21RBS has a center strap....and IIRC, they were bolted.

Dave
Old 08-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
so it sounds like the design is good, but execution can be spotty - bad welds or loose bolts.

So worth an inspection... crap - not easy to do. if only they built in inspection panels that could be dropped.
PaulStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
From having owned a KOA campground in the 70's and 80's, here in Colorado, and having to fix many that came in dragging a trailer / 5th wheel with broken welds / missing hardware and broken plumbing / suspension components.

Fortunately, I was a production welder @ John Deere Waterloo, Iowa for several years.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
You did notice he was talking about a Fleetwood MH, right?

Frankly, I suspect day of the week matters, too.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
From having owned a KOA campground in the 70's and 80's, here in Colorado, and having to fix many that came in dragging a trailer / 5th wheel with broken welds / missing hardware and broken plumbing / suspension components.

Fortunately, I was a production welder @ John Deere Waterloo, Iowa for several years.

Mike in Colorado
So nothing specific to ORV's then?

Dave
Old 08-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #14

Honestly, you need to remove the coroplast and check your trailer yourself. Or have somebody you trust to check yours out. Just based on things I've read on this forum and youtube videos, the manufacturing "process" is hit and miss at best.

If the tank is held in with a welded piece of u-channel, each weld will have to be inspected to be sure it is structurally adequate. Doesn't really matter how the one before yours was built, or the one after for that matter...

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank