Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #15

Go for April first if you want to be safe. We go from Rockport Texas to Washingto State every year and, by far, the roughest stretch is not through Idaho or Utah, but the Blue Mountains between Ontario Oregon and Pendleton Oregon. If you bring chains and are willing to stop in the snow and install/remove them, go for it. We've gotten stuck in Mountain Home Idaho for a long time along the way, due to weather. Watch the weather maps/forecasts and be prepared to stay in one spot for up to a week or so due to weather. The weather in the mountains between Ontario and Pendleton can be pretty nasty. I'm sure others will call me a wimp, but, at my age, digging out in the snow and ice doesn't have much appeal. Hope this helps.
From a 'Winter Texan' in Rockport.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We try and be home for Easter.

Have hit snow in NM, CO, UT, OR. Cabbage Hill was closed for a while.

Some lonely roads between Ft Stockton ABQ. ABQ. and Salt Lake.

Winds on I 10 and I 40 can be brutal.

"Be Prepared". Keep the fuel above a half. Carry tools, water, food, and blankets.

Past alerts https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...hill+closeures
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Boy this sounds more fun by the minute!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofakleez View Post
Go for April first if you want to be safe. We go from Rockport Texas to Washingto State every year and, by far, the roughest stretch is not through Idaho or Utah, but the Blue Mountains between Ontario Oregon and Pendleton Oregon. If you bring chains and are willing to stop in the snow and install/remove them, go for it. We've gotten stuck in Mountain Home Idaho for a long time along the way, due to weather. Watch the weather maps/forecasts and be prepared to stay in one spot for up to a week or so due to weather. The weather in the mountains between Ontario and Pendleton can be pretty nasty. I'm sure others will call me a wimp, but, at my age, digging out in the snow and ice doesn't have much appeal. Hope this helps.
From a 'Winter Texan' in Rockport.....
has any of this getting stuck business happened after April 1st?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #19

Just to chime in, I couldn't help myself. I looked up who flies from pdx to pdt. Here is a quote.
"
8:05am to 9:05am 1h
Portland to Pendleton Portland Intl. (PDX) to Eastern Oregon Regional (PDT) Boutique Air 352 Economy / Coach (V) PILATUS PC-12
Bag fees Estimated baggage fees charged by Boutique Air (Please confirm with airline) Carry on: No fee 1st checked bag: No fee 2nd checked bag: No fee Baggage Information: Boutique AirOpens in a new window
Total distance 183 mi I thought maybe Horizon had a flight there, guess not. Pilatus is a cool plane, cool looking any way. Would be a fun flight.
Years ago when I was stationed in Corpus, three of us drove home for Christmas, via Roswell, Albuquerque, Salt Lake, Boise, from BOI you would be to Pendleton, then we went on through Yakima and Seattle, Tacoma area. Now I will tell while we were driving through Roswell at night, I thought I seen bugs everywhere. NO, it's SNOW. A foot or so In ABQ, and snow all the way till we came over Snoqualmie pass. Interesting to say the least, and cold. Be ready for anything. We was young then, lol. I would enjoy doing it again though, just not winter time. Oh, the price of that ticket said under $65, maybe some more for taxes, I dunno. Anyway, enjoy the ride whatever you do and Be Safe>
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
We have made a winter trip from Idaho (or Washington State) to Houston almost every year since 1998 (pulling a travel trailer). We alway head west from those starting points to the coast (west ) and go south on US 101 to Southern California. (Even I-5 is often nasty in the winter.) We then go east on I-10 to Houston. No snow, no ice, once Portland is in the rear view mirror.

Before April 1, I would never go north from TX into Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, etc. Even in early May we have encountered foot deep snowfalls in Wyoming. Find your way to I-10W and follow it at least into western AZ.

If the OP might want more info from my experiences, pls send me a PM. I have lots of opinions!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
We have made a winter trip from Idaho (or Washington State) to Houston almost every year since 1998 (pulling a travel trailer). We alway head west from those starting points to the coast (west ) and go south on US 101 to Southern California. (Even I-5 is often nasty in the winter.) We then go east on I-10 to Houston. No snow, no ice, once Portland is in the rear view mirror.

Before April 1, I would never go north from TX into Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, etc. Even in early May we have encountered foot deep snowfalls in Wyoming. Find your way to I-10W and follow it at least into western AZ.

If the OP might want more info from my experiences, pls send me a PM. I have lots of opinions!

Bob
Hiring a delivery driver is sounding better and better. By the time I get this rig back to texas, it will be just in time for my favorite season.. SUMMER.. just the time I want to be LEAVING texas...

It's really hard to buy a rig though without ever seeing it, not even an example of one..
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hiring a delivery driver is sounding better and better. By the time I get this rig back to texas, it will be just in time for my favorite season.. SUMMER.. just the time I want to be LEAVING texas...

It's really hard to buy a rig though without ever seeing it, not even an example of one..
Personally I would never buy a RV, without looking at that actual floorplan and interior color in person. When we were in Yellowstone last May / June, we did a day trip to Idaho Falls ID. to the Camping World to look at Timber Ridge models. At the time my wife thought she would like one of the Creekside floor plans. But once she saw it, she didn't like it. In the Timber Ridge line I thought the 24 RKS fit our family and travel pattern much better. They didn't have the 24 RKS. At that time I knew the RV dealer in Casper WY. had one. So a week later, after leaving Yellowstone we stopped in Casper to look at the TR 24 rks. 15 minutes after looking over that floorplan, the wife turned to me and said "This is the one". When the wifey says that, your Golden. It was the right floorplan but was the higher end Titanium trim. I only wanted the Mountain Series trim. So once back home (Ohio) I set about researching options, price and available dealers.

Having already reserved all my camping for last summer up till our last trip to Myrtle Beach SC. in mid Sept. I didn't want to post my 2013 Aerolite on RV trader and or Craigslist knowing if I sold it mid-summer, I could be without an RV if I had to order a Timber Ridge. Many people at the time who were ordering one were on a 2-4 month wait or longer. So I listed my RV during my Myrtle Beach trip, received an offer I almost excepted. For the heck of it I called a few dealers who had what I wanted in stock. Just so happened Thompson RV had what I wanted, and with my trade it was very exceptional price. That was around Oct. 1st, by the time I could clean out my Aerolite, set aside 10 or so days to drive out to OR. that was about the 3rd week in the month.

I highly suggest since your out in OR. take the factory tour. They happened to be making our model / floor plan that day.

I transporter will charge you $1.80 a mile.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sounds a lot like how we ended up with the 25rds. DW said this is it
Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #24
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Sounds a lot like how we ended up with the 25rds. DW said this is it
We went in thinking we wanted the 26RLS and came out with the 25RDS ourselves.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
IF you are traveling to git there and straight back (non vacation) from Houston..
45 north to DFW,20west to 820 to 35 to 287 west to Amarillo, then 287 north to I-70 west to I-25 n to I-80 west to US-30 to Cokeville(WY) follow west to I-15n to I-86 west to I-84w and hammer down.. Have tire chains with you. and pay close attention to the weather/road reports. this is the route I used many many times with super load/oversize loads.... just be sure to pay attention to the speed limits in the little towns..tickets are their only source of income (TX/CO/WY/ID)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Personally I would never buy a RV, without looking at that actual floorplan and interior color in person. When we were in Yellowstone last May / June, we did a day trip to Idaho Falls ID. to the Camping World to look at Timber Ridge models. At the time my wife thought she would like one of the Creekside floor plans. But once she saw it, she didn't like it. In the Timber Ridge line I thought the 24 RKS fit our family and travel pattern much better. They didn't have the 24 RKS. At that time I knew the RV dealer in Casper WY. had one. So a week later, after leaving Yellowstone we stopped in Casper to look at the TR 24 rks. 15 minutes after looking over that floorplan, the wife turned to me and said "This is the one". When the wifey says that, your Golden. It was the right floorplan but was the higher end Titanium trim. I only wanted the Mountain Series trim. So once back home (Ohio) I set about researching options, price and available dealers.

Having already reserved all my camping for last summer up till our last trip to Myrtle Beach SC. in mid Sept. I didn't want to post my 2013 Aerolite on RV trader and or Craigslist knowing if I sold it mid-summer, I could be without an RV if I had to order a Timber Ridge. Many people at the time who were ordering one were on a 2-4 month wait or longer. So I listed my RV during my Myrtle Beach trip, received an offer I almost excepted. For the heck of it I called a few dealers who had what I wanted in stock. Just so happened Thompson RV had what I wanted, and with my trade it was very exceptional price. That was around Oct. 1st, by the time I could clean out my Aerolite, set aside 10 or so days to drive out to OR. that was about the 3rd week in the month.

I highly suggest since your out in OR. take the factory tour. They happened to be making our model / floor plan that day.

I don't have this same issue.

My wife and I have been in and out of enough 5th wheels and travel trailers to knock a mule over.

She took one look at the photos and that was enough to know this would work for us.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
IF you are traveling to git there and straight back (non vacation) from Houston..
45 north to DFW,20west to 820 to 35 to 287 west to Amarillo, then 287 north to I-70 west to I-25 n to I-80 west to US-30 to Cokeville(WY) follow west to I-15n to I-86 west to I-84w and hammer down.. Have tire chains with you. and pay close attention to the weather/road reports. this is the route I used many many times with super load/oversize loads.... just be sure to pay attention to the speed limits in the little towns..tickets are their only source of income (TX/CO/WY/ID)
UPDATE!!
Going this route will minimize the number of steep grades you will have to traverse.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

My bids ranged from $0.67 to $1.25 one way with the exception of my dealer which was around $1.60.

I accepted a bid at $1/mi which would pretty well be my cost all in.

Tags
texas