Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2023, 10:22 AM   #1

The quest for a hitch setup continues...

Ok,

Ever since I bought my 25RDS I've been trying to find a decent setup for the hitch. ORV's are a challenge because they are so much taller than most trailers and because the fiberglass front cap sticks out making the ball to cap distance very small which can mean you can hit the cap in a turn.....this happened to me once.

To add to the hitch configuration pain, my new 2022 F350 DRW 4x4 has a 3" hitch receiver. To start with I used a 3" to 2.5" adaptor and a 2.5" to 2" adaptor but there is no way I'd consider that a permanent setup as there is slop added with every extra joint.

My temporary setup consisted of a slide in hitch using a WD head (I don't use the WD bars, but that's another topic). the distance from the receiver pin to the bolts holding the equalizer head were 12" long and provided very little extra clearance between the truck taillights and front cap when jack knifed. This receiver also had a rise of 10".

Soooo....I set about on a quest to find a 3" receiver hitch with the right dimensions and found....ONE; the GenY Boss

The good was that this hitch had the necessary height, and almost as much length (11.5" vs. 12"), it's 3" (Model GH1803) and the torsion set-up should improve ride quality. The bad is that it cost me $1,312.00 Canadian including taxes, duty and shipping and it weighs a ton....I haven't weighed it but it feels like about 100lbs.

The issue now is that the tailgate cannot be lowered with the hitch in place and since the hitch/head/ball assy weighs 100 - 150lbs, it's a real pain to remove every time you want to lower the tailgate. I carry motorcycles or E-bikes in the bed so I need to be able to lower the tailgate. My options;

- keep pumping iron so I can manually re&re the hitch by hand every camp trip! I'm no spring chicken so not sure how long I can keep that up!

- install an undermount coupler on the trailer.....this would fix the tailgate interference issue but it's expensive and IF I was ever to decide to use WD bars with the trailer, it puts them lower and reduces clearance.

- install a lift kit on the truck to raise it up at least 4". I don't like this idea as it's an expensive solution and makes it harder to load and unload stuff.

I can't lower the trailer because it would hit our driveway at the transition at the street.

Just wanted to share as I can't be the only person with these issues - ORV makes a trailer with great ground clearance and the flush mount tongue is better than the typical tongue tacked on to the bottom of the main frame members but it makes for a VERY high ball height.

If anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of or other comments, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2023, 10:55 AM   #2

Not sure it would help your scenario but I use a Blue Ox on my 19 Ram 3500. My tailgate clears the top of the coupler by 1/2". My caps different than yours so I'm not sure whether that comes into play with yours.
FWIW on the BO the pin hole is 14.5" from the ball center.

Have you looked into Weigh Safe? Guess you probably have, they extend out much further than most WDH's. Of course you'd have to use the bars with it.

I've looked at those Gen-Y hitches and the idea is pretty cool. It will be interesting to hear your feedback on how it works.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Not sure it would help your scenario but I use a Blue Ox on my 19 Ram 3500. My tailgate clears the top of the coupler by 1/2". My caps different than yours so I'm not sure whether that comes into play with yours.
FWIW on the BO the pin hole is 14.5" from the ball center.

Have you looked into Weigh Safe? Guess you probably have, they extend out much further than most WDH's. Of course you'd have to use the bars with it.

I've looked at those Gen-Y hitches and the idea is pretty cool. It will be interesting to hear your feedback on how it works.
Thanks for the response and I will update once I start using it. I'm a bit concerned that I won't get the movement from the torsion set up that I should as the hitch is designed for a tongue weight in the 1,500 - 2,200 lbs and my hitch weight is only 1,300.... but that's the only way the 3" hitch comes.

The distance from the receiver pin to the ball on my current set up is 17.5", I don't think 14.5" would work for me due to the front cap interference issue.

Yes I looked at the Weigh safe but it had a max 8" drop for their WD hitch and only a max 2.5" hitch size. Their ball mount had no provision for a WD head if I ever chose to use one plus it was way too short. I also wasn't sold on the aluminum construction though I would have been much lighter!

The long 2"x2" receiver with the two adaptors I used last season was really sketchy; at least this new Gen Y 3" x 3" monster inspires confidence and is rated for double my trailer's weight.

My current plan is to just bolt on the WD head and run it and I'll have to eat my spinach to remove it once we get setup at camp. I think I'll modify the head to get rid of the attitude adjustment 'cause if you don't use the WD bars, the head tends to slip downwards during use.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-24-2023, 09:34 AM   #4

Oh, and I don't know what the 2019 Ram tailgate looks like but my Ford has the built in tailgate step and camera system and the top of the tailgate sticks out about 3-4 inches which is where the interference is. ....the ball hits pretty much dead on the camera...of course!

Dave
Old 02-24-2023, 10:28 AM   #5

Can you post pics of your setup for us to see?

I don't have a solution for you, but I am one of those "picture worth a thousand words" guys.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Can you post pics of your setup for us to see?

I don't have a solution for you, but I am one of those "picture worth a thousand words" guys.
Yes, I will but it will take me awhile as I'm still putting it all together.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-24-2023, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yes, I will but it will take me awhile as I'm still putting it all together.

Cheers,
Dave
No problem.

On many of these issues, I feel like there has to be many people having similar, or close to similar issues. Worse, there are people having the issue, but it just hasn't blown up yet.

Seeing a picture, someone may do the old palm slap to the forehead as the recognize your issue is their issue.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:16 PM   #8

For the money you spent on the Gen-y you could have just installed a new 2 inch receiver hitch on the truck and had more options I think.

Having said that, I have the same problem with my 24RKS. Hitch needs to be 2" taller for level trailer but the the ball hits the tailgate when opened. I have elected to just run it like that for now. I'm not convince it is enough off level to really matter? I am not removing the hitch every time I need to open the tailgate that's for sure. This mush be a problem for most people who own ORV trailers especially for those who tow with a 4x2 truck.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 08:45 AM   #9

I also have a Ford F350 towing a 24RKS. My truck is a 4X4 2017 so it’s sits higher stock than the 22’s. I went with the Andersen. It comes in a 3” shank and is super light, 80 lbs I believe for the whole set up.
Big Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dozer View Post
I also have a Ford F350 towing a 24RKS. My truck is a 4X4 2017 so it’s sits higher stock than the 22’s. I went with the Andersen. It comes in a 3” shank and is super light, 80 lbs I believe for the whole set up.
What year 24RKS? 16" wheels? Is your truck running stock tires? I'm assuming SRW....
Old 02-25-2023, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
For the money you spent on the Gen-y you could have just installed a new 2 inch receiver hitch on the truck and had more options I think.

Having said that, I have the same problem with my 24RKS. Hitch needs to be 2" taller for level trailer but the the ball hits the tailgate when opened. I have elected to just run it like that for now. I'm not convince it is enough off level to really matter? I am not removing the hitch every time I need to open the tailgate that's for sure. This mush be a problem for most people who own ORV trailers especially for those who tow with a 4x2 truck.

John
Yes there are tons of 2" options but I didn't want to derate my truck or hitch. I agree this is a common issue with ORV's; the downside of a superior frame design and more ground clearance. I really think they should be using an undermount coupler from the factory

Dave.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:01 PM   #12

As far as the two adapters you had to use to get down to a 2" receiver, if wobble is the issue, might have the 2 adapters welded together to eliminate one wobble. Better yet, weld to the ball hutch itself so the only wobble is at the 3" receiver.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
What year 24RKS? 16" wheels? Is your truck running stock tires? I'm assuming SRW....
2019 24RKS, with the 16’s, yes it’s a SRW stock height on 35” tires, so pretty much stock height for tires. I can open my tailgate no issue and the trailer sits level. But like I said I believe the 17’s sit higher than the 22’s unless you have the Tremor package. I’m really happy with the Andersen set up. Really light, simple to hook up, sway control works great, and no grease on anything. The only downfall is the equalization isn’t as good but with a 1 ton I don’t need it. Oh and it’s a 3” shank so not dealing with reducers.
Big Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:18 AM   #14

Thanks Big Dozer; yes the pre-2020's are 1.5" higher and your tires are 2" taller so maybe 2.5" overall....my interference looks more like 4" for some reason...

Tags
hitch