Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thoughts on our Blackstone....

We purchased our 2015 Blackstone 280RKSB last October and got one trip in before we put it away for the Winter. We have been using it almost every weekend since mid February traveling to our Son's College baseball games near Portland, mainly dry camping in the College parking lot. It has been a pure joy using this trailer! We have owned a TT and 2 fifth wheels and this is definitely the best one we have owned to date! It pulls like a dream, even in the winds of the Columbia River Gorge and having the large fresh water tank, you can take long showers and still have plenty of water! The parts I really enjoy are the things that most RV'ers update are included from the factory. The fantastic fans are awesome, the large LED TV is great, really everything you would want. Now that I have truly been able to use this, I am really a fan of ORV and hope they continue to keep a low production quality unit that is worth every penny!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdross View Post
We purchased our 2015 Blackstone 280RKSB last October and got one trip in before we put it away for the Winter. We have been using it almost every weekend since mid February traveling to our Son's College baseball games near Portland, mainly dry camping in the College parking lot. It has been a pure joy using this trailer! We have owned a TT and 2 fifth wheels and this is definitely the best one we have owned to date! It pulls like a dream, even in the winds of the Columbia River Gorge and having the large fresh water tank, you can take long showers and still have plenty of water! The parts I really enjoy are the things that most RV'ers update are included from the factory. The fantastic fans are awesome, the large LED TV is great, really everything you would want. Now that I have truly been able to use this, I am really a fan of ORV and hope they continue to keep a low production quality unit that is worth every penny!
Glad to hear you are having fun times with your Blackstone!
Safe travels!!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
It is terrific your new rig is "pure joy" for you! Many of us have similar experiences but fail to report them. Forums tend to support problem solving and the posts can paint a distorted picture of a great product, like ORV trailers.

Mr. Wonderful

P.S. Currently we are about 2500 miles from home base, with our WR. And happy as clams. (Where did that expression come from?)
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
It is terrific your new rig is "pure joy" for you! Many of us have similar experiences but fail to report them. Forums tend to support problem solving and the posts can paint a distorted picture of a great product, like ORV trailers.

Mr. Wonderful

P.S. Currently we are about 2500 miles from home base, with our WR. And happy as clams. (Where did that expression come from?)
Follow-up:

Origin: Happy as clams"

Why would clams be happy? It has been suggested that open clams give the appearance of smiling. The derivation is more likely to come from the fuller version of the phrase, now rarely heard - 'as happy as a clam at high water'. Hide tide is when clams are free from the attentions of predators; surely the happiest of times in the bivalve mollusc world. The phrase originated in the north-eastern states of the USA in the early 19th century. The earliest citation that I can find is from a frontier memoir The Harpe's Head - A Legend of Kentucky, 1833:

"It never occurred to him to be discontented... He was as happy as a clam."

So, the few of you that didn't know this, "You're welcome!"
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My final straw before checking into the ORV products was a 2015 Forest River Chaparral 5th. Wheel that we purchased brand new. We liked the glam factor of it, but there was some notable flaws. I finally was fed up with it about a year and a half into our experience with it when I was climbing the stairs up into the front bedroom and saw daylight between the stairs and the exterior wall! That was it! I started researching and found ORV, went to the closest dealer, and was hooked! We traded our fifth in, took a pretty good hit by the way, and got into our very slightly used Blackstone! Best decision I've ever made! I see far more positive input on this forum than negative and that proves that this is going to be a long term quality investment.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
My final straw before checking into the ORV products was a 2015 Forest River Chaparral 5th. Wheel that we purchased brand new. We liked the glam factor of it, but there was some notable flaws. I finally was fed up with it about a year and a half into our experience with it when I was climbing the stairs up into the front bedroom and saw daylight between the stairs and the exterior wall! That was it! I started researching and found ORV, went to the closest dealer, and was hooked! We traded our fifth in, took a pretty good hit by the way, and got into our very slightly used Blackstone! Best decision I've ever made! I see far more positive input on this forum than negative and that proves that this is going to be a long term quality investment.
My buy it new 2015 ORV Timber Ridge so I don't have to repair anything was your 2015 FR. Final straw for me was looking into why the floor was sagging.....they'd cut the front steel cross member and the weight of the floor was bending the .100" steel over.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #7

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
My buy it new 2015 ORV Timber Ridge so I don't have to repair anything was your 2015 FR. Final straw for me was looking into why the floor was sagging.....they'd cut the front steel cross member and the weight of the floor was bending the .100" steel over.
I'd like to see pictures of this please.
james.baker@outdoorsrvmfg.com
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
I'd like to see pictures of this please.
james.baker@outdoorsrvmfg.com
For what reason?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #9

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
For what reason?
If it is something we did at the factory or a design issue it needs to be presented to the appropriate managers so that we can prevent it in the future.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #10

As with any RV there can be issues. ORV has bent over backwards to fix any issues I have had with my trailer( Todd Morton )specifically. I think they have been great to work with, and have read lots of horror stories about RV manufacturers who could care less about you or the trailer after you pulled it off the lot. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again just based on the customer support.
Blackbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

I have to wonder if he has a OVR or a Carriage, maybe both
bucknaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Several posts have been removed for being rude, sarcastic, condescending & baiting. Basically violating our Be Courteous! rule.

Please discuss the issue & not each other.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Glad you are enjoying your new trailer. We have basically a Blackstone in the 5th wheel and we just love it also for more or less the same as you. Love the big fresh water tank.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I looked at and researched and looked at a lot of trailers before we purchased our Creekside. I also rented several different brands of trailers. I told my wife I was not interested in purchasing a trailer because of the poor build quality of most of the brands out there. Cheap simple stapled together cabinets, small undersized tires etc. seem to be the norm. Coming from a sailing background I was used to the more robust build quality of boats that are subjected to the rigors of ocean passages. Then I was pointed to Northwood and ORV by visiting hunting forums. Those were the trailers that guys who spend time on gravel washboard roads use. These are guys who are not gentle with their trailers. I was immediately impressed with the build quality and the insulation. No their trailers aren't perfect, everything built by human hands has the potential for problems, but the factory support has been very good. I have been very happy with our trailer and would not hesitate to buy another.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote