Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tire valve stems and TST monitors

We placed TST time monitors on our stock valve stems on our 2019 Timber Ridge. They're slightly larger than a robin's egg and seem to work well.
The issue is that they throw enough weight (centrifugal force) to the outside when going down the highway, that they weaken the valve stem seal around the wheel and the tire leaks.
After messing around with the tire pressure fluctuation, we stopped in a tire shop to get new valve stems. Bless them ( they were actually connected to a bait shop and had one fellow working in 100 degree heat) for changing to what they had in stock--enough to get us back to the house..
Now we're home and have time to get the correct fix.
What type valve stems have Outdoor owners used for this issue? Our local tire shop doesn't have the metal stems suggested and we have to get them from a parts house, so we're open to the best option.
Get back with your valve stem solution please so we can fix this once and for all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'd get the right valve stems on line if necessary, and use a dynamic balancing method like beads on those trailer tires.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #3

Exact same problem I had with EEZTire monitors. Also no local tire store or Goodyear truck store had any ideas (nor did they seem interested) and the RV and trailer places around here don't work on tires. The truck store took the tires off but the only type of stems he had wouldn't work with the narrow shelf of my aluminum wheels. So I bought a bunch different types and had a friend of mine that works at a general auto repair shop see if he could get any of these to work. Bought TR416, TR428, S409. All with standard external nuts that screw down from the outside. None of these worked as the metal base on the inside of the wheel was too big. He even tried shaving one down. The only kind that would fit my wheels were inner mount valve stems. I got a set of Gorilla VS402C on Amazon that worked. Only problem is I can't check the nuts for tightness periodically. So they used some threadlocker on them to provide a little extra hold.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
tpaul, does your trailer have steel wheels or the aluminum fancy type?
I contacted TST and they referred me to Your Tire Shop, but got a recording.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Check out these valve stems at etrailer.com:
https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...a/AM20906.html

I don't have any experience with them, but you may want to find out if they will work with the wheels on your trailer.

I noticed on the question and answer section:
metal stems- use flow through sensors
rubber stems- use cap style sensors.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #6

Blazing zipp I may be wrong but I think all OutdoorsRV models come with aluminum wheels. Mine did. The spare is a steel wheel. Now your wheels are probably 16 inch so its possible that the standard TR 416, like scbwr pointed to, would work. They just wouldn't fit my rims. They are fairly inexpensive so do like I did and buy a couple of different types to give the mechanic some options and return the ones that don't fit. And the TR 416's can be obtained at nearly any auto store or they can get them in a day. The VS402C's that I ended up using I have only found online.

But the recommendation that cap sensors be used with rubber stems didn't work for me. The leaking problem that occurred at speeds over 55mph was only resolved by using metal valve stems with my cap sensors. Go with metal valve stems.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've been running with TST cap sensors on our 2017 Creek Side for a couple of years, and we take the sensors off during the winter since the trailer is stored outside. When Alan reinstalled them last spring, we had a problem with one tire losing air. He contacted TST, and they suggested that he check to be sure the O-ring was still inside the sensor. If the O-ring is missing, the sensor doesn't seal properly against the valve stem. Sure enough, the O-ring on that sensor had fallen out somewhere along the line. We replaced it from the spare parts that had been included in our original kit from TST and the problem was solved. Just something to double check.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the TST 507 system with Flow Thru sensors on my coach & single axle motorcycle trailer..but the trailer had rubber valve stems & over time the centrifugal force stretched them & 70 mph I got an audible warning on the right trailer tire of rapid loss of air & saw the issue. The tire had 18 psi of the 44 psi left in it...I aired it back up to 44 psi & it held as long as the valve stood straight up...So I was able to use some wire ties I always keep on board & secure the valve stem thru the slotted wheel to keep it from bending in motion..it worked as I only went 30mph to get to a tire place & got them both changed over to metal valve stems.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Follow up----I found Gorilla VS402C valves to fit the aluminum rims on our trailer. They don't really have high reviews and I can't find a solid quote about how many pounds of pressure, but there wasn't a whole lot of choice.
Discount Tire mounted new Goodyears (paid extra for a full hazard guarantee) and the stems. The tire guys stated they used the Loc-tite I provided for the stems.
Now to determine if the TPMS flow through cap sensors will screw on due to the stems being so short.
A quicky trip in a few days and then I'll try the sensors.
Geeze, what a project just to have TPMS. I do remember when you would know if you had a tire issue by watching the rubber fly out from under the rig. I also remember crank phones!
Old 08-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #10

I get my tires from America's Tire/Discount Tire. I have the TST Flow-thru censors and used the stock stems for a fair spell. Getting ready for an 8000 mile-er so I went down and had them replace the rubber stems with metal ones. Think it was $80.00 completed. Feel pretty comfy about them now.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #11

Just picked up our new 22FQS. Came with metal stems.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #12

Bought an enclosed car trailer last fall for our toys. Had the same issue, the little bit of weight from the sensors caused the rubber stems to bend out towards the edge of the rim while driving. I was more worried about the vibration to the sensors hard against the rim. As a temporary fix, I made some little rolls of gorilla tape for the valve stem to lean on, stuck them on the rim. Only lost one tape roll all winter. After we got home last spring I had my tire guy install metal stems.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, monitor, tire, valve