Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2021, 10:41 PM   #15

I agree with the general consensus.....1 ton diesel and be done.

Sounds like your doing enough towing to make a diesel feasible. If you were a few times a year recreational tower I would steer you towards a 3/4 with a gas engine.

I tow with a ram 6.4 with the newer 8-speed and it'll pass everything, but a gas station. Terrible mpg, but knew that going in.

Good luck and post up the new TV
Trickam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Towing a 23DBS question...how much truck do I need?

Found my 2017 Ram at a dealer with 10k miles on it. It was a Enterprise long term lease return. Certified by FCA with a 100k 3year warranty. Saved about $15k. Never had a problem. It tows a 250 RDS like it’s not there. 25k towing miles later I’ve never regretted it.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgwj View Post
Found my 2017 Ram at a dealer with 10k miles on it. It was a Enterprise long term lease return. Certified by FCA with a 100k 3year warranty. Saved about $15k. Never had a problem. It tows a 250 RDS like it’s not there. 25k towing miles later I’ve never regretted it.
I feel like you won the lottery. It's so hard to find any decent deals on trucks at the moment. That's one of the reasons I was looking new. Because anything on the lot or used in the last few years is more than MSRP.
tad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #18

I really appreciate all the thoughtful replies. Gives me a lot to think about.

Ultimately I would like to hit that balance between towing capacity/ease and fuel economy (that's the environmentalist in me). I think I would also drive the truck more around town if it had better mileage. I wouldn't be using this trailer full time, only for family vacations. We plan on living in the trailer with it parked outside my parents house until we find a new home so I don't need to really tow it for the time being.

My good buddy suggested I look at the new 2022 Toyota Tundra hybrid. Coil spring suspension, tow up to 12k, payload 1940#. He's a big Toyota fan and feels they don't overstate capability like the big 3 and he thinks it would be a good option.

If it would work, it would save me money, offer better fuel economy, and be a more versatile daily driver. But I don't want to be white-knuckled every time we go on a trip either.
tad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #19

The 2022 Tundra 1940 lb payload is a base model. I recently saw an article and they had an upper trim level at around 1250 lbs.
YNNV
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad12 View Post
My good buddy suggested I look at the new 2022 Toyota Tundra hybrid. Coil spring suspension, tow up to 12k, payload 1940#. He's a big Toyota fan and feels they don't overstate capability like the big 3 and he thinks it would be a good option.
A few years ago the SAE came up with a towing spec that all of the manufacturers are supposed to use to rate their trucks. You should be able to do an apple-to-apple comparison.

The biggest issue is that while you can look at a brochure that lists the max tow rating, when you actually get down to the actual vehicle you buy, with the options you want, things like payload can be greatly affected. Most of the non-Big 3 manufacturers have a very narrow product line and do not allow you to customize your options like the Big 3 have traditionally done. I think the Big 3 have reduce the variations allowed in recent years, but they still offer a broader range of trucks. Besides, I have never seen a 3/4 or full ton Toyota or Nissan in the US.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #21

I just got a new 22FQS. I had a Ram 1500 with the towing package etc etc. loved that truck. I had ordered air lifts to help handle the load before we got the trailer. While we were waiting for our new trailer we went “looking”. We bought a Chevrolet 3500 diesel Duramax. AM I GLAD!

Just did a Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming trip ending with 10% grade down Teton Pass. The truck handled the trailer thru out the trip without a hiccup. We travel for the enjoyment. Having a truck that eliminates concern about load, power etc sure adds to that enjoyment.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1991 View Post
We have a 23DBS and tow with an F350 diesel. As noted above it tows like the trailer is not there and we generally have a TW of ~1200 to 1300 lbs. On our previous F150 that would have put us within 200 to 300 lbs of our total payload! We did trade up to the F350 before we acquired the 23DBS.
What year is your F350 and did you need to add airbags for a level ride? I have the same truck and trailer on the way.
NickInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:19 AM   #23

Quote:

Ultimately I would like to hit that balance between towing capacity/ease and fuel economy (that's the environmentalist in me). I think I would also drive the truck more around town if it had better mileage. I wouldn't be using this trailer full time, only for family vacations. We plan on living in the trailer with it parked outside my parents house until we find a new home so I don't need to really tow it for the time being.

If it would work, it would save me money, offer better fuel economy, and be a more versatile daily driver. But I don't want to be white-knuckled every time we go on a trip either.
Here's something else to throw out there.....If you are now looking to balance towing with some fuel economy, you could consider an F150 equipped with the heavy duty payload package (HDPP). This requires a 6.5' bed configuration and the highest trim level is an XLT-mid...the 301A package.

While this is still an F150, it has a beefier frame, springs and other components that equate to a higher GVWR, which means more payload capacity. it can be ordered with either the 3.5 EB or the 5.0 V8 and comes standard with Ford's 'max tow' option. Average sticker payload will be in the 2200-2500 lb range. Many call this a 5/8 ton truck as it falls in between the 1/2 and 3/4.

This truck would more than likely need to be ordered.....it would be a tough find on your local lot.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #24

Quote:

I wouldn't do that, not for towing this. I have two friends with Tundras. Once tows a 23BDS ORV (coincidentally). It was not a pleasant tow experience. He spec'd out an f-150 XLT Max Tow package. It just arrived last week. His payload is over 1900 pounds on the sticker. That may be an option if fuel econ is a big driver for you.
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #25

Quote:

The Tundra isn't any better than any other half ton and would be a big mistake for a 23DBS IMO.

Dave
Old 10-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPNW View Post
I wouldn't do that, not for towing this. I have two friends with Tundras. Once tows a 23BDS ORV (coincidentally). It was not a pleasant tow experience. He spec'd out an f-150 XLT Max Tow package. It just arrived last week. His payload is over 1900 pounds on the sticker. That may be an option if fuel econ is a big driver for you.
Again, my 2022 F350 6.7 power stroke gets exactly 1mpg less than my 2019 F150 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Regarding the big 3 "overstating their power" it has nothing to do with power. The eco boost will definitely pull it, but IMO it's not safe. Brakes, frame, vehicle weight, etc. is not burly enough for a trailer with a 1200-1300lb tongue weight.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInCO View Post
Again, my 2022 F350 6.7 power stroke gets exactly 1mpg less than my 2019 F150 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Regarding the big 3 "overstating their power" it has nothing to do with power. The eco boost will definitely pull it, but IMO it's not safe. Brakes, frame, vehicle weight, etc. is not burly enough for a trailer with a 1200-1300lb tongue weight.

On a just-completed trip to Oregon and back, my 2021 F-350 6.7L managed anywhere from 16.4 MPG to 20.1 MPG (unladen, of course). The numbers are manually calculated. Darn good for a vehicle with the capability to safely tow/control a large trailer.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #28

Quote:

This is not the route i would go..
The 1 ton diesels get better fuel milage.
So they actually are a better daily driver.
If the cost of a diesel scares you than buy a
350 gasser. Towing the camper you can expect
About 5 0r 6 mpg. With a diesel you should see
10 or more. Its not the pulling that counts.
I could pull my camper with an s10.
Its the weight of the tow vehicle and its ability
To stop the camper in a panic situation.
This is your families safety your talking about.
I had an 07 duramax 2500 that got 22mpg on the highway and 19 or 20 around town not towing.
I traded that on a 17 ram 3500 dually to tow
My 28dbs. (11k gvwr) . Its comfortable. And no white
Knuckle. It gets the same mpg towing as my duramax.
And if i work at it real hard i can get 18 around town.
Thats a 8000 lb truck.
Is it too much truck?? I dont think thats possible.
Could i tow it with a 3/4 ton?? Yup sure. But the added
Safety margin is worth the upgrade. The difference
In price between similarly equipped 3/4 and 1 ton
Trucks is negligable really one or 2k tops.
Well worth the piece of mind.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing