Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We fill the fresh water, gas tank on the TV, cupboards with snacks, the refer with more snacks, and hit the road. Oh, I forgot about my brides shoes, clothes, blankets & towels, etc.
The only trip we didn't fill the water was this last March, when it was freezing and I didn't want problems. The trailer seemed to be a little loose compared to when the water was filled-not a problem.
We don't seem to notice much difference in gas mileage or power.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We travel with the tank full most of the time. If we travel with the tank empty it’s because the trailer has been winterize or we are travelling to a dump station. Occasionally we travel with partial tanks when stopping for overnights along the way. Once we arrive or empty the tank we dump our waste tanks and refill the freshwater. Having water for toilet, washing hands/dishes etc while travelling is a convenience that we enjoy. When you have one following you it doesn’t make sense to me to have to look for a toilet. Some people carry jugs of water to use if they need to use the toilet. I don’t need to reduce my water load to offset cargo but some might, depends on how you load. A trip to a scale will provide you with that info.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:50 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Been traveling with full fresh tanks for years. FYI ORV installs an angle iron support that runs cross ways from frame rail to frame rail. It can't fall out.
One of the angle iron supports on ours didn't quite reach the opposite frame rail and was held in place by a thin vertical strap welded onto the side of the frame. It broke up on the Alaskan Hwy and the tank started sagging. I and others here have been able to fix it by bolting on adding additional pieces that actually rest on the frame rail. And perhaps this has been fixed on newer models?
I hope so.

We do travel with a full tank most of the time, and the roads up North were pretty bad.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #18

There are differing opinions across the board regarding this subject. Tow Vehicle, tow rating and payload of the tow vehicle aside....and assuming you're not over the GVWR of the trailer with the water tank full, I wouldn't worry about the tank being full. ORV puts most of their fresh water tanks on top of the floor which is a real stout place to put it. There could be some ORV floor plans that "suspend them in the belly". If I was going to be concerned, I'd be concerned with those that are suspended by straps or angle iron. I have friends that own "other brands" that are afraid to travel with full water tanks as they are worried the trailer will come apart bouncing down the road due to the extra weight. I always travel with a full sixty gallons of water.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
ORV puts most of their fresh water tanks on top of the floor which is a real stout place to put it. There could be some ORV floor plans that "suspend them in the belly".
I know for a fact that the 2014 240RKS has its FW tank suspended in the belly between the frame rails. But wasn't aware that others have them mounted on top of the floor. Which models are those?
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
One of the angle iron supports on ours didn't quite reach the opposite frame rail and was held in place by a thin vertical strap welded onto the side of the frame. It broke up on the Alaskan Hwy and the tank started sagging. I and others here have been able to fix it by bolting on adding additional pieces that actually rest on the frame rail. And perhaps this has been fixed on newer models?
I hope so.

We do travel with a full tank most of the time, and the roads up North were pretty bad.
Well I guess it could fall out.
I was assuming that ORV would install the support angle correctly. Of course after owning one I should've known better as well.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath650 View Post
Hi - getting ready to set out on our first extended trip with our new 24RLS. Will be gone about 3-4 weeks and plan on camping in different places every 2-3 nights. Will be a mixture of places with and without hookups, no extended boondocking. Just for piece of mind I was thinking of starting out with a full 80 gal FW tank filled from my home water system. This should last me the entire trip and is of known water quality.

I'm towing with a 3500 Ram Cummings dually so I'm not worried about the TV end of the equation, just wondering if there is anything I need to be concerned about on the trailer end. The front pass through compartment is only lightly loaded and we stow any heavy items in the truck bed . I do have 4 6v batteries on the tongue, estimated tongue weight without water is about 1100lbs, well within the range of my EQ hitch (1400 rating) and my TV..

So, anything to worry about traveling with a full FW tank? Saw a similar post on the travel trailer forum and there were concerns about the tongue weight, trailer construction holding up and of course fuel mileage. Not worried about the fuel mileage and don't think the trailer construction would be a issue, just wanted to get some thoughts from more experienced ORV owners.
Thanks...
I have a 2018 24RLS and have towed with a full tank of water. I also like to fill from home for the known water quality without the need to mess with filters and the like. I also have 4 6v batteries on the tongue. The tank is over the axles and I didn’t notice a difference with towing other than the weight. When I tow the trailer to my storage location it’s empty and I can tell the TV likes it. This last trip I dumped my grey tank but not my black in between two different camps. The black and grey tanks are forward of the axles and I did notice that tongue weight increased with a fuller black tank but we try to use the campground toilets to conserve water so the black gets less use than the grey. I have not gone on a forest road yet with a full water tank but when I did scope out some places I know I would be going slow so I’m not worried that the tank would drop out.
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #22

Put me down for always filling up the fresh tank before heading out. We mostly dry/boondock camp and it is nice to know that you have lots of water on board for an extended camp away from a tap. Our 23RKS has fresh ahead of the axels and it doesn't affect the driving although I can tell the difference between full and empty when driving.One more thing, I take along a full 5 gallon plastic container of fresh just in case of extended stay and running out of water. Then, instead of hooking up your trailer and driving over to the taps, on your way past the taps on your daily excursions, just fill up the gerry can and pour into fresh.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscheck View Post
Put me down for always filling up the fresh tank before heading out. We mostly dry/boondock camp and it is nice to know that you have lots of water on board for an extended camp away from a tap. One more thing, I take along a full 5 gallon plastic container of fresh just in case of extended stay and running out of water. Then, instead of hooking up your trailer and driving over to the taps, on your way past the taps on your daily excursions, just fill up the gerry can and pour into fresh.
This is exactly what I do also!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoD View Post
This is exactly what I do also!
Us extremely bright, exceptionally gifted and humble folks think alike.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertas View Post
Have you thought about configuring an external filtration system for when you fill your water tank from non-known water supply areas? I made up an external filtration system from a small “whole house” filtration system sold at stores, and then put a couple of water hose fittings on it with a short 6 foot hose to connect to the water tank filling inlet so that way I don’t need to worry so much about filling my tank when I’m away from home. Barely takes up any room in storage, weighs very little, and it cost me less than $50 total for the whole setup.
I would like to do the same thing. If I had a filter, I would fill the tank when I arrived at my destination campground. What "whole house" filter did you use? Pictures? I can probably figure out the fittings.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Always travel with a full water tank. Got to a remote town in Montana once with empty tanks to save fuel. Was informed by a very nice lady that no one in town trusts the local water. Bought a lot of bottled water that trip.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #27

LearningMore;

The whole house filter housing is from Menards but I’m sure you can get something like it at Home Depot or Walmart. I have the 10” OMNIFilter Whole House Housing (I like the clear version so I can see the water) and I have a ECOPURE filter in it. I’m out of state for work right now, so I can’t take any pictures of it to show you, but it was a very simple build; I used a 1”x8”x6” for the base, another 1”x6” for the back/riser, and a 1”x4” for the mounting bracket, making an “L” shape. The filter system is more for immediate filtering of particles in the water supply pipe/hose (Like rust, dirt, sand, flakes) than it is for contaminates like lead and such. For drinking water we use a pitcher filter all the time no matter where we got the water to remove any of those extras that could be in the water.
Libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I travel with a least a half tank or about 50 gallons unless I'm headed for Quartzsite, then it's full. But my rig weighs 52,000#'s with the tank full and I'm still 7,000#'s under the GVWR.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, travel