RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #1

Traveling with full 80 gal FW tank?

Hi - getting ready to set out on our first extended trip with our new 24RLS. Will be gone about 3-4 weeks and plan on camping in different places every 2-3 nights. Will be a mixture of places with and without hookups, no extended boondocking. Just for piece of mind I was thinking of starting out with a full 80 gal FW tank filled from my home water system. This should last me the entire trip and is of known water quality.

I'm towing with a 3500 Ram Cummings dually so I'm not worried about the TV end of the equation, just wondering if there is anything I need to be concerned about on the trailer end. The front pass through compartment is only lightly loaded and we stow any heavy items in the truck bed . I do have 4 6v batteries on the tongue, estimated tongue weight without water is about 1100lbs, well within the range of my EQ hitch (1400 rating) and my TV..

So, anything to worry about traveling with a full FW tank? Saw a similar post on the travel trailer forum and there were concerns about the tongue weight, trailer construction holding up and of course fuel mileage. Not worried about the fuel mileage and don't think the trailer construction would be a issue, just wanted to get some thoughts from more experienced ORV owners.
Thanks...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have only filled ours full once in 3 1/2 years for a known boondocking trip where we were not sure of the water quality where we were headed.

Did not have any issues with the trailer or tank system.

We do not normally do this, and travel mostly with 1/4 tank of water. 650 pounds of water is pretty high and unnecessary to tow with for all trips, especially if we are heading to a resort with water hookups.

Thanks for your service in the Nuclear Navy! I once worked as an engineer at a company that made the control rod mechanisms for your ships/subs.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #3

We travel with an almost full tank when traveling. I never worry about the weight because our TV is a dually with a quad in the bed. No tail wagging.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You may not actually be getting 80 gallons into the tank. My fresh water tank is listed at having 66 gallon capacity and according to the flow meter that I use when filling the tank I've never been able to get more than 45 gallons into a totally empty tank.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #5

Fill the tank when you depart. Make a quick stop at a commercial scale. Check your axle and total weights against your vehicle weight stickers. Partially or completely drain the tank if you are over weight.

Actual weights are what matter. Planned weights are for when you don't have actual.
I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Boondock and travel 90% of time with full tank. No problems in 5+ yrs. Yes, "extra" weight, but I'm sure your tow vehicle can handle it!!! Just a note: only 70-72 gals of tank water (everytime empty tank filled), 10 gals in water heater, and I'm sure you're not going to drain it before every trip to save 82#!!!!

The trailer can handle it!! Our 280RKS is heavier than yours, and our "measly" gasser pulls it just fine up and down the mountains!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I keep my FW tank full for emergency water here in earthquake land. Also I was told that a full tank of water, changed every 2 months will be less likely to grow stuff inside. Mt city water is treated and is super good. I don't really trust water at some of the parks and much of what i do is dry camp (dog shows). My tank is a 2014 so it's only 65 gallons and I feel it a tiny little bit.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #8

Been traveling with full fresh tanks for years. FYI ORV installs an angle iron support that runs cross ways from frame rail to frame rail. It can't fall out.
Not sure where your fresh tank is located but it will add 664 or so lbs according to my sticker. Mines in the rear so I don't worry about it. If yours is over the axles like my FM 235 was then it won't matter. Only issue will be if you don't dump and most of that fresh tank water is now in the black and grey then it may affect your TW.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I fill up the FW tank for boondocking trips. Never a problem, but I'm sure it doesn't help mpg....
Old 06-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #10

Have you thought about configuring an external filtration system for when you fill your water tank from non-known water supply areas? I made up an external filtration system from a small “whole house” filtration system sold at stores, and then put a couple of water hose fittings on it with a short 6 foot hose to connect to the water tank filling inlet so that way I don’t need to worry so much about filling my tank when I’m away from home. Barely takes up any room in storage, weighs very little, and it cost me less than $50 total for the whole setup.
Libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Weve been boondocking for years with slide in campers and trailers. Always run full water, sometimes even bring extra. To be honest, I dont notice a difference. Yah got the truck for it..
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't want water of unknown quality in the pipes of my trailer or in the pipes of my dogs and me. When I do run on an empty FW tank I take a case of 1 gal jugs (6) and replace them when empty. Bad water can really mess you up. Ever see a 140 pound dog with the runs?
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #13

Every time we leave we have a full water tank and full gas tanks. Even if its for a 3 or 4 day trip.
Part-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I don't want water of unknown quality in the pipes of my trailer or in the pipes of my dogs and me. When I do run on an empty FW tank I take a case of 1 gal jugs (6) and replace them when empty. Bad water can really mess you up. Ever see a 140 pound dog with the runs?
x2. We only use the water in the tank for showers, dishes and hand washing. Bottled water goes in our water bottles, coffee pot and anything else we drink or eat.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, travel