Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TT Leveling Jack Alternative

Does anyone have any ideas or alternatives for the leveling jacks? I've taken my 20FQ off road a number of times, and it always seems like I'm scraping them along the ground at some point. Its pretty obvious that the previous owner did too by the 15 degree angle lean of them. I've thought about replacing the bolts with some kind of post with cotter keys for easy removal. They seriously hamper the departure angle of the trailer. They are cheap and easy enough to replace, but I just don't want to make them a consumable.

Thanks,
Mike
OtterLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Otterlove, would it be feasible to just remove them? They could be replaced with these, after you are at the destination.
https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-44560-X-...806981&sr=8-25

A bit of manual work I realize, but it gains you a few inches of clearance.
Cheers
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Altaclipper,

That's the kind of thing that I was thinking about. The only thing I'd be worried about is them falling off left or right. They don't seem too heavy, so it looks like it would be less weight, too.
OtterLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I were king, I think I'd look into raising the trailer by changing the suspension components rather than mess with the stabilizers.
You could approach it from different angles, for instance flipping the axles on the springs, adding a leaf, or different springs.

Using that type of stabilizers would be an incredible PITA to do each time you set up & break camp. But then, I'm lazy.
kcfissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

Lots simpler just to buy a Backcountry 20BD or 21RWS!

To be honest I bent my front left stabilizer. Kind of a pain to replace it. I'll pay closer attention in the future. I promise!
Old 12-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Lots simpler just to buy a Backcountry 20BD or 21RWS!
Why? what do they use?

Dave
Old 12-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

the stabilizers are a pet peeve of mine; ORV builds a trailer with more suspension travel and clearance and then welds two 2" x 2" metal spacers on the frame to space the stabilizers down enough so that they can reach the ground!

I understand why they do it; it's undesireable to tell people they have to carry boards or spacers in order to engage the stabilizers on level ground but it is contrary to the stated design goals.

Anyhow, I own a metal fab shop so I intend to remove the stabilizers and cut off the spacers and re-weld the stabilizers directly to the frame (or make a bolt on bracket). using a pin arrangement so the stabilizers could be removed is something I'll also consider.

Dave
Old 12-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaclipper View Post
Otterlove, would it be feasible to just remove them? They could be replaced with these, after you are at the destination.
https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-44560-X-...806981&sr=8-25

A bit of manual work I realize, but it gains you a few inches of clearance.
Cheers
Glen
I've used those before on a much smaller TT - they work but aren't very stable and you'd need a lot of blocking to use them on an ORV

Dave
Old 12-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
the stabilizers are a pet peeve of mine; ORV builds a trailer with more suspension travel and clearance and then welds two 2" x 2" metal spacers on the frame to space the stabilizers down enough so that they can reach the ground!

I understand why they do it; it's undesireable to tell people they have to carry boards or spacers in order to engage the stabilizers on level ground but it is contrary to the stated design goals.

Anyhow, I own a metal fab shop so I intend to remove the stabilizers and cut off the spacers and re-weld the stabilizers directly to the frame (or make a bolt on bracket). using a pin arrangement so the stabilizers could be removed is something I'll also consider.

Dave
Please post pictures when you’re done! I can weld and have often thought about doing the same thing. The clearance the stabilizers and stairs take away is a pet peeve of mine.
Keith67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith67 View Post
Please post pictures when you’re done! I can weld and have often thought about doing the same thing. The clearance the stabilizers and stairs take away is a pet peeve of mine.
Will do.....the stairs are also on my hit list.....

Dave
Dave Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
zim

What jacks does ORV use? When I added BAL 24002D jacks to my little Casita, I used 1/4" steel plate to weld to the frame, then bolted the jacks to that. The jacks can be easily replaced if needed without cutting anything.
zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling