RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TT Security for Storage - Proven Industries

I was looking at getting a Proven Industries coupler lock. Do any of you have one? If so what model, I was thinking the 2516 would work with the ORV coupler. Any issues with it?

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #2

Proven Industries is a top shelf lock
Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

Review of the lock

Delete
Part-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #4

I have a 22FQS and purchased the Proven Industry lock 2516 and it fits fine and it can hold the chains.

It is a beefy lock. When you are removing it, don't open the coupler slide without having a hand on the underside or gravity takes over and if your feet are under that then ouch.

Proven runs two web sites - ProvenLocks.com and BestTrailerLock.com I bought from BestTrailerLock.com and paid $195. Same lock from ProvenLocks.com is $245 In tiny print on BestTrailerLock it says that they sell "overstock, refurbished, cosmetically damaged and exchanged products". Mine looked brand new.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok thats insane....
Are TT thefts really that common to invest in something like that?
What happens when the thief removes the whole couple... Two bolts and bada bing badda boom........
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Wow. That's an expensive lock. For the 2011 Tracer Executive travel trailer I owned several years ago, I simply used an extended shackle Master Lock in the "handle" on the coupler. I did keep the TT in a storage facility that had 24/7 security cameras. Never had a problem with someone trying to steal my TT.
fagnaml is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

I bought one of those because if I'm boondocking and take off for the day I really want to increase the odds that I'll have a trailer to return to. I don't really think things are that bad but $350 is pretty cheap IMHO. I'm also considering getting a wheel lock too but that takes up space and is a bit of a pain to put on. It seems to me that it is arguably more effective than a hitch lock.
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
Ok thats insane....
Are TT thefts really that common to invest in something like that?
What happens when the thief removes the whole couple... Two bolts and bada bing badda boom........
The coupler on my trailer is welded to the frame, so no bolts to remove.

I agree that it seems either 1) over the top and unnecessary or 2) just enough to have a bad actor move on to a different target. Trailers do get stolen, but I don't know how common an event it is.

I'm not concerned about trailer theft in storage, but if I was boondocking I would like to be able to leave with fewer worries. $200 is a lot for a lock, but a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the trailer and contents.

And think about the impact and the HASSLE of having your trailer stolen. I had a car stolen once right out from under my apartment. Not a good experience and a hassle dealing with police and insurance. I got the car back, damaged, and from then on used a steering wheel lock on it.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMore View Post
...if I was boondocking I would like to be able to leave with fewer worries. $200 is a lot for a lock, but a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the trailer and contents.

And think about the impact and the HASSLE of having your trailer stolen. I had a car stolen once right out from under my apartment. Not a good experience and a hassle dealing with police and insurance. I got the car back, damaged, and from then on used a steering wheel lock on it.
I own a 2516. I find it easy to use. I agree that this is insurance, but I felt it was worthwhile.
LHresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

I do a lot of boondocking also where we may be away from the trailer all day. Lock takes a few minutes to install/ remove. May just deter the snatch and grab thief who will go on and try another unit without lock.

If you have the right tools and the time, nothing will stop a determined criminal.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #11

Great lock, peace of mind when leaving it when boondocking is worth the price IMHO.
dogbreath650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #12

We do mostly boondocking at campgrounds and do not worry too much during the busy season. However, when we camp at empty campgrounds or way off the roads, I do lock my trailer up. I bought an AMPlock which is built very well and pickers cannot easily get it off.
BTW, I have heard of trailers getting stolen, so to me its worth the money and piece of mind that I will still have a trailer there when I get back to it at the end of the day.
Azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage