RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TV/FM antenna on ORV roof

Howdy all,
Just thinking about the difference between the tv antenna that was on our 2016 GP F28RKS and what I'm seeing on newer models now. The older style antenna was a stationary omni-directional with 'wings' that went out in two opposite directions (see attached photo). The new one appears to be a circular Air 360, I believe.
Can anyone expound on the pros/cons of ORV's change? Is reception better on the newer style? The seem to get a decent consumer review but just curious if anyone has seen improved or reduced reception of tv and fm radio? Am I correct that the antenna is used for both TV and FM radio?...or is there a separate antenna for FM?
Thanks
Glen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0048.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	309908  
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

Hey Glen,

My previous unit had the same bat wings that you are referring to. I have not experienced any improvement or otherwise in reception with the newer Air 360. The major improvement comes with the fact that you do not have to raise and turn the unit for reception.

It just works as long as you turn on the amplifier button. This is part is the same as the old unit.

Kevin
Old 12-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #3

re read your post.
Your old unit was stationary, therefore you likely will not notice any differences except when cleaning off the roof, it is easier to work around the round tub vs the bat wings
Old 12-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #4

Antenna

The fm antenna is in the new style, but I wish it were better. I had hoped to pull the cover off and see what I might do to improve it but they did such a good job sealing it up I wasn't willing to .
Our last two RVs had the type in your picture but it could be pointed. Surprised that you say this one is omnidirectional. Directional (yagi) always beats omnidirectional, unless you are trying to gather in signals from different directions, but it won't be as strong of a signal.
We have found that our new antenna doesn't pull in the number of stations our old one did, but it sure is more convenient.
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So Far-So Good with the newer style. We just came home with a new 22FQS and noticed today that the TV signals were coming in better.

Our 2015 Creekside had the batwing style. This new OMNI style appears to work better and I'm looking forward to not having the sharp corners weaken my cover.

We're taking the RV out next week to one of our favorite spots and will see how it works there too.
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

On my 2019 24RKS the antenna was a Magnadyne omnidirectional antenna. It was terrible. I can see the broadcasting antenna from my house and it still did not bring in all the channels. I switched it out for a Winegard Air 360 which worked better. Later I had to relocate the antenna to add another solar panel and I used a King OmniPro and it works fine, too. The batwing style probably works best, but here in Colorado once you head to the mountains there is no antenna made that is going to bring in a signal.

Edited to add that the Magnadyne and Windgard Air 360 had both TV and FM connections. I don't think the King OmniPro did. I wasn't going to bother rerouting the FM cable to the new antenna location. Not for crappy FM over a crappy stereo head unit.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sometimes a good selection of CD's and DVD's just can't be beat.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I miss my old Winegard crank up with the wingman attachment!

Best RV antenna I ever had.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
On my 2019 24RKS the antenna was a Magnadyne omnidirectional antenna. It was terrible...
That same TV antenna came on our '19 24RKS as well. I think a wire coat hanger would have worked better than that thing ever did. We replaced it with a Winegard RVW-395 Sensar IV (AKA Batwing). We had one on our old camper that worked quite well, as does this one.

Also added a Winegard RFL-332 Sensar Pro Signal Meter. We like that too.

Bought a cheapo FM antenna and stuffed that inside the wall by our TV (FM isn't a high priority for us).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	310059   Click image for larger version

Name:	batwing.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	310060  

Old 12-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for your input, everyone. What I'm interpreting so far is that the old-style roof antenna that is not rotatable (omni-directional) that was on our 2016 F28rks is just as good at reception as the newer air-360 system being installed by ORV today. On our F28rks, we couldn't even get a tv signal only 45 minutes from our home city of Calgary. (yes, the powered amp was turned on) Surely there is something better in technology today. Has anyone found a better antenna for their RV without breaking the bank? Yes, we fully realize that camping isn't about watching TV but I like to catch the news on a daily basis, just to know what's going on in the world.
Thanks
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

We had the old batwing directional antenna on the 2000 Adventurer and decided to try the King Jack replacement head. I don't know if it works any worse but definitely not better. I spent money for nothing.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
In the olden days, pre-ORV, we had acceptable local tv reception with a crank up, rotatable King Jack antenna. But then we got our Wind River with the latest and greatest "omni-directional" antenna. After a few months of frustration, we gave up and bought a Dish Tailgater satellite system and have never regretted it.

With 100 ft of lead in cable we have been able to position the antenna to avoid 99% of all obstacles. And we get local TV stations as well as the normal Dish cable channels. In our case the trailer's coax cabling was questionable so I punched a hole in the outside wall about 3 feet from the satellite receiver to bring in the antenna lead. That solved all the trailer's coax issues. So now, we never use the omni antenna.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roof