Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #1

Under designed components

I recently returned from a trip in our black rock. Broke a leaf spring. When I got it repaired we found that the equalizer (the part between the 2 axles) was completely wallowed out on both sides (pic attached with the replacement and the factory one). When I went to have them replaced. The extended warranty required that I replace them with the same equalizer. Turns out that the part that came from the factory is rated for 2 2000lb axles. My trailer has 2 6000lb axles! Has anyone ever experienced a manufacturer using a component that was not rated appropriately for the weight? This is very disturbing! If any one else has had this issue let me know. I think this is a HUGE safety issue and wonder if it is against some DOT regulation of misrepresentation of the weight rating. If there are others that have experienced this it may be worth getting together and getting an attorney involved. I havenít reached out to outdoor but Iím 99% (based on previous experience) sure the response will be it is out of the warranty time frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0524.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	591.2 KB
ID:	333411
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Contact ORV and see how they respond before getting all up in a twit
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

What is the weight rating of your camper? Just because they put 6K axles doesn't mean the camper is rated as such. The rating would be for the weakest link.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #4

Your trailer is rather large. I didn't know the Black Rock series came that big. I'm sure it would need heavy duty axles. It's surprising that those components were used. Are you the original owner? If not, perhaps they were installed by a previous owner. Either way, I think I would call the factory and see what they have to say about it. I wouldn't think the extended warranty company would install the same under-rated components back in. Time to upgrade for sure.

Good luck with this. I can see this being difficult to get sorted out.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
What is the weight rating of your camper? Just because they put 6K axles doesn't mean the camper is rated as such. The rating would be for the weakest link.

Itís ~10k dry rated for 12k
Old 06-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #6

Those parts look pretty similar. I imagine that ORV buys the whole shebang as an assembly....quite possibly a mistake from thier supplier (assuming the part really is not rated for your axels). Call them
Old 06-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Those parts look pretty similar. I imagine that ORV buys the whole shebang as an assembly....quite possibly a mistake from thier supplier (assuming the part really is not rated for your axels). Call them
I thought ORV was not accepting calls from the ranks any more???
Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They accept calls about5 legitimate issues, they just would rather not deal with folks calling up with questions like "where is my water pump?" or my outlets don't work unless I am plugged in to shore power.

They were so overwhelmed with small issues that folks should have either been asking their dealer or googling to answer themselves that they had folks who were doing nothing else all day and still not able to keep up. If you have a real issue they are there to help, often even after the warranty period. I think we can all understand that they would prefer you first check with your selling dealer, if you buy a Ford you go to the dealer that sold it to you, not the factory it was built in. If that dealer cannot satisfy your repair needs or there is a need for extensive rebuilding that is where the factory takes over.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
They accept calls about5 legitimate issues, they just would rather not deal with folks calling up with questions like "where is my water pump?" or my outlets don't work unless I am plugged in to shore power.

They were so overwhelmed with small issues that folks should have either been asking their dealer or googling to answer themselves that they had folks who were doing nothing else all day and still not able to keep up. If you have a real issue they are there to help, often even after the warranty period. I think we can all understand that they would prefer you first check with your selling dealer, if you buy a Ford you go to the dealer that sold it to you, not the factory it was built in. If that dealer cannot satisfy your repair needs or there is a need for extensive rebuilding that is where the factory takes over.
Thanks Keymaster-good to know. I have called them twice-once for a drawing of the framing members on my rear wall and once for come cabinet parts. They were great both times and their customer service was the reason I have recommended their product to others who have asked.