Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Use of ladder against trailer - Safe?

I will be going to look at a 2016 ORV WR 250RDSW this weekend. The rear ladder was damaged and removed by owner. I plan on taking my extension ladder (https://www.harborfreight.com/home/h...der-63419.html) with me so I can take a look at roof.

Is it harmful to roof / wall structure or RV molding / edging at roof edge by leaning ladder against it? I taped foam around section of ladder that rests against the trailer so as not to scratch/gouge anything.

I do not plan on walking on roof, only placing it on sides and rear to good a good look at things/roof.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

It should not be an issue.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I pad the rails of my ladder with sections of pool noodles cut about 12" long.

You could just ignore it and put the ladder up against the drip rails, but if something happens......just say'n.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Never have used the trailer ladder to access roof, never will!! I do use an extension ladder when I need to go up there, which is very few times. I usually put foam rubber or rags at the top where the ladder verticals lay against the drip rail. Never had a problem. Not really that much pressure against the side of rail. You should be ok, use some padding as mentioned or noodle, and climb away!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks! I sure hope this is a clean and well kept rig. I can live with a few repairs, but nothing extensive. It is 5 years old and apparently driver brushed/hit a tree or two to cause ladder getting bent and door frame getting a small crease

That's why I'm going to look......pics can be deceiving
Old 06-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #6

Checking out the roof.

I would certainly put a padded ladder against the trailer. Actually go on the roof. Get on your knees and feel with you hands for any soft spots. Be careful on the roof!! Roofs are expensive to replace. Best of luck checking out a potential RV.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #7

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Never have used the trailer ladder to access roof, never will!! I do use an extension ladder when I need to go up there, which is very few times. I usually put foam rubber or rags at the top where the ladder verticals lay against the drip rail. Never had a problem. Not really that much pressure against the side of rail. You should be ok, use some padding as mentioned or noodle, and climb away!!!
Why don't you use the trailer ladder?
Danny Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm 75, not terribly fat, but not skinny!! Our ladder is right on the roadside edge of the trailer back, and the frig vent is right next to it. There are no real areas to place feet or knees when trying to climb down. I'm not real steady on my feet, and trying to go down I would very possibly have a painful accident trying to get my legs over the edge onto the ladder and not step on frig vent. SO, I DON"T!!!! There now you have the sad story of my life!!

Using an extension ladder allows me to place where I can have "maneuvering" room when going up and down.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer