Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #29

Over weight coach.

I don’t know how these sleazy dealers can sell a coach with such a small NCC.

This is one of the first numbers that I look at. My 2000 DSDP 38’ has nearly a 5000 # NCC. The difference in empty weight and max weight, GVWR is NCC Net Carrying Capacity. So many coaches, when you fill the tanks and put your groceries and luggage aboard you are near, at or over gross! When I ask a sales person for the NCC half the time they either don’t know what I mean, or they would rather not talk about it. Look out.
Another one to watch is the wheel base to length ratio. Mostly the rear overhang. If it’s a lot it can really effect your handling ability, especially in an emergency maneuver. Some coaches look like nearly half of the chassis is hanging behind the rear axel. Bad.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
So my bare weight is 6900. Add everything to that. But I have 2, 5200 pound axles and another 1300 pounds is on the tongue. Say my going down the road total weight is 8500. Then 8500-1300= 7200 is all that's on the the tires. But my trailer is only rated to be GVWR 8700. I am pretty sure the GVWR includes the tongue weight that is, weight not on the axles. I think my truck is rated to tow about 17,000 so I am good.

Going by axle capacity can be misleading since that does not represent the capacity of the springs, frame or coupler installed on the trailer. The payload is based on the total package and not just the axle and tires.

When we service a trailer with a failed axle in the boat yard many times we use a heavier duty axle than specified since the cost difference is minimal to non-existent however that does not automatically increase the capacity of the trailer but just gives a greater margin of safety regarding having an axle failure during an accident or extreme conditions.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosxx View Post
Maybe someone can educate me. Regarding OCCC, if you are below GAWR on both axles, you are below the GCWR for your rig and toad, but 5% over on your GVWR what is the problem?

As I see it, no issue for the suspension on each axle since you are below rated weight. No issue on drive train or brakes as you are below the rated weight it will move or stop.

So what does the GVWR really mean. I've asked that question of the chassis mfg and the RV mfg and neither could point to an issue. Thus it seems OCCC is being restricted by an arbitrary number?

What am I missing?
GVWR is set by the vehicle manufacturer and can only be changed by them or a certified vehicle modifier.

GAWRs for motorized vehicles are inherently set higher than the GVWR they are supporting. That method is called "load capacity reserves".

The gross vehicle weight rating, or gross vehicle mass is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #32

Side by side weigh ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Have you ever weighed your trailer loaded?
Usually I'm loaded after I've setup ;^) But usually, and customarily, you should not only weigh each axle, but also each tire to ensure that side to side weights are balanced as well as the fore and aft weights of what the CAT scales will do. Safe, and hoppy travels from the [Mod Edit] Boondocking Brewer™!
Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #33

Unfortunately manufucturer's don't spend a bunch of time or engineering on all this.

My 2020 21RBS has a GVWR of 7150 according to the sticker on the side. It has 4000 lb Dexter axles and Goodyear load range E tires. the latest brochure dated March 2020 shows a GVWR of 8,250 for the same 21RBS with the same axles, same tires and same frame..... In fact the 21RD shows 7200 lbs GVWR but it has 3500 lb axles.

....so I'm guessing that there was just an arbitrary change to raise the GVWR for marketing purposes with no actual hardware changes. I won't be worried if I happen to load up to 8,000 lbs GVW in my trailer which will be well under the GAWR and tire ratings.

....of course I'd never suggest that anyone else ignore their stickers.

And running without a full tank of water is a non-starter as one of the big reasons we bought an ORV was to boondock; we almost never have hookups.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

And running without a full tank of water is a non-starter as one of the big reasons we bought an ORV was to boondock; we almost never have hookups.

Cheers,
Dave
The amount of an RVs potable water tanks, gray and black water tanks is always published. It's also published that the contents of those tanks is considered CARGO. The owner/consumer is responsible for ALL cargo weight.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The amount of an RVs potable water tanks, gray and black water tanks is always published. It's also published that the contents of those tanks is considered CARGO. The owner/consumer is responsible for ALL cargo weight.
Yes I know all that; I guess I'm missing your point?

Dave

Tags
weight