Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 11:52 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Weigh Safe WD on ORV 8" Frames

Anyone using these weight distribution hitches on an ORV with 8" frames? They look far superior to anything except the Hensley, but they only fit up to 6" frames. Looking at Equalizer they fit to 6" but say they have brackets to fit 8" frames but I can't seem to find them. Am I stuck with WD that uses the cradle style of trailer frame mount?
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #2

I didn't realize that ORV was building their A frames out of 8" tubing.

Sure looks like a 6" A frame.

The main frame is 8" but that isn't relevant to the WDH.
Am I missing something?
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Cumminsfan! I was thinking it was 8" all the way up
Old 01-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Husky WDH 1200lbs that I used on my last 2 RV's...so 1: not strong enough for my 280KVS (if I ever get it) and 2: it's got to be 16 years old now so I'm guessing there's some metal fatigue going on.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

According to both the factory and my salesman, the "A" frame which connects the truck to the main trailer frame is 6". With that knowledge, I just purchased and received the Weigh Safe hitch. Man is that thing solid. Total weight when fully assembled is 147#. I haven't gotten to try it yet on my current KZ because i got the 20,000# hitch which takes a 2 1/2" hitch receiver. That is what my new truck will have. It won't be here for another month +/-.

As far as the company, easy to purchase, got discount of $100 and no sales tax, another $100 savings. The only downside was that the weight caused FedEx to reach its limit for the truck and the 4 boxes actually arrived on 2 different days. No biggy since I.m in the stand by mode.
4everlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
According to both the factory and my salesman, the "A" frame which connects the truck to the main trailer frame is 6". With that knowledge, I just purchased and received the Weigh Safe hitch. Man is that thing solid. Total weight when fully assembled is 147#. I haven't gotten to try it yet on my current KZ because i got the 20,000# hitch which takes a 2 1/2" hitch receiver. That is what my new truck will have. It won't be here for another month +/-.

As far as the company, easy to purchase, got discount of $100 and no sales tax, another $100 savings. The only downside was that the weight caused FedEx to reach its limit for the truck and the 4 boxes actually arrived on 2 different days. No biggy since I.m in the stand by mode.
How did you get by with no taxes? Which state? I'm in Idaho so that would save me 54 with the discount code
Old 01-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanztek View Post
How did you get by with no taxes? Which state? I'm in Idaho so that would save me 54 with the discount code
I just ordered thru the website. I was surprised when they didn't charge taxes.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm going to hold of to until I get my rig...There's always the chance that my dealer decides to charge me surcharge +% because, well, they think they can. I have my Husky 1200lb WDH for the 270 mile trip home
Old 01-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm going to hold of to until I get my rig...There's always the chance that my dealer decides to charge me surcharge +% because, well, they think they can. I have my Husky 1200lb WDH for the 270 mile trip home
I originally ordered one thru Thompsons to pick up when my camper is ready this fall. I decided to go ahead and purchase now so I can practice with my current trailer. The ORV will be another 1500#+/- so I hope to shorten my learning curve.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Anyone using these weight distribution hitches on an ORV with 8" frames? They look far superior to anything except the Hensley, but they only fit up to 6" frames. Looking at Equalizer they fit to 6" but say they have brackets to fit 8" frames but I can't seem to find them. Am I stuck with WD that uses the cradle style of trailer frame mount?
Good afternoon sir. I use a Weigh Safe WDH with my '22 22FQS. I did my first tow a couple of weeks ago; but close to 3000 miles on it from CO to TX, and back. That was over the Million Dollar Highway in CO, the undulating terrain of NM, and the relatively flat terrain of TX; on mom and pop roads, state, US, and Interstate roads. It pulled really well. If I were passing a semi, there is still that "sucking" towards the semi as I'm passing its front. But, generally speaking, passing along side or in opposite direction, there is no sway. I am really happy with how it performs.

My objections are 1) the system is heavy. I don't have the individual weights, but the main hitch part is heavy. I'm not so positive my wife could mount that (I'll have her do it in the near future as my friends just had their husband go down with a leg injury and the wife had to do all of the hitching). 2) ORVs have so much clearance that I had to orient the drop hitch upwards; so I can't open my tail gate (and that was with the 6inch drop hitch, not the 8inch) :-(

Aside from that, I REALLY like having the ability to adjust the weight distribution component of the hitch each time we pull to accommodate the ebb and flowing of the trailer weight. I found that adjustment that I put into the hitch holds (we had 2 separate days where we were pulling for 24 hours with only fuel stops). Ha...my promise to the community.....I will never pull more than a 300 mile day again!! hehehe.

PS. "Wandering Weekends" on Youtube had a 15% discount code that I used back in Oct/Nov-ish. It is "wanderingweekends".

Safe travels!

2021 F350 XLT Crew cab, Long Box. 7.3l engine with 4.30 gears
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingalan View Post
Good afternoon sir. I use a Weigh Safe WDH with my '22 22FQS. I did my first tow a couple of weeks ago; but close to 3000 miles on it from CO to TX, and back. That was over the Million Dollar Highway in CO, the undulating terrain of NM, and the relatively flat terrain of TX; on mom and pop roads, state, US, and Interstate roads. It pulled really well. If I were passing a semi, there is still that "sucking" towards the semi as I'm passing its front. But, generally speaking, passing along side or in opposite direction, there is no sway. I am really happy with how it performs.

My objections are 1) the system is heavy. I don't have the individual weights, but the main hitch part is heavy. I'm not so positive my wife could mount that (I'll have her do it in the near future as my friends just had their husband go down with a leg injury and the wife had to do all of the hitching). 2) ORVs have so much clearance that I had to orient the drop hitch upwards; so I can't open my tail gate (and that was with the 6inch drop hitch, not the 8inch) :-(

Aside from that, I REALLY like having the ability to adjust the weight distribution component of the hitch each time we pull to accommodate the ebb and flowing of the trailer weight. I found that adjustment that I put into the hitch holds (we had 2 separate days where we were pulling for 24 hours with only fuel stops). Ha...my promise to the community.....I will never pull more than a 300 mile day again!! hehehe.

PS. "Wandering Weekends" on Youtube had a 15% discount code that I used back in Oct/Nov-ish. It is "wanderingweekends".

Safe travels!

Cool, thanks for the review and info on the discount. I'll have to check if it's available when I order. I'm not expecting to get my ORV until some time in Feb. and I don't want to buy the WDH until I get the trailer as I'm concerned my dealer is going to play some pretty aggressive games with the final price. If I walk away, my plan B is a fifth wheel so this WDH won't do me any good.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the review and info on the discount. I'll have to check if it's available when I order. I'm not expecting to get my ORV until some time in Feb. and I don't want to buy the WDH until I get the trailer as I'm concerned my dealer is going to play some pretty aggressive games with the final price. If I walk away, my plan B is a fifth wheel so this WDH won't do me any good.
You are most welcome.

Yes...I picked up my ORV on 1 December 2021. The sales manager took the effort to show me the ORV message that was going into effect on something like 6 Dec about the "ORV surcharge" that was taking effect. She was preparing to have to call all the folks that had already ordered their ORVs; NOT a conversation that I'd look forward to.

At the time that I ordered my Weigh Safe, they only had 6inch hitches (that's the drop/rise, not what size frame they can accommodate) available. The 8inch was on back order. I think I checked like 2 or 3 weeks ago and the 8inch drops were still back ordered. Fortunately, for my setup, putting the hitch in the rise and using the highest setting worked for the 6inch hitch. But...I can't lower my tailgate, as is always touted with weigh safe hitches since they stick out a bit farther from the truck.

Safe travels and good luck!

Old 01-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My Husky round bar WDH on my last ORV hooked up to my Chev 2500HD had no issues with lowering the tailgate...I just checked and it's at the top hole of a 6" rise. Wonder if the Chev receiver is lower than a Ford
Old 01-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
My Husky round bar WDH on my last ORV hooked up to my Chev 2500HD had no issues with lowering the tailgate...I just checked and it's at the top hole of a 6" rise. Wonder if the Chev receiver is lower than a Ford
That is awesome! I was sadly disappointed when the hitch that allows tailgates to come down didn't. I did just see a video of a guy that rotated his tongue jack 90 degrees so he could get his tail gate down. I'll have to see if that is an option with us the next time it is hooked up.

Yes...very possible that Chevy's hitch is lower.

Tags
frame