RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
A well setup WDH (like Equal-I-Zer or Blue Ox), a 3/4 ton truck or heavier, and a high tongue weight (like ORV's typical 15%) will serve you well in the wind.

If you are towing with a 1/2 ton truck, a properly setup WDH becomes all the more important, as well as LT tires and perhaps a stiffened suspension.
Concur.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Dave View Post
I will be driving cross country in April with a 26 foot trailer. I've heard that a weight distribution hitch would make it safe to drive on the interstate with winds ups to 40 mph. I had thought that I'd stay off high speed roads when the wind was forecasted for 30 mph. I also have only a 5 - 6 day window to make it from Oregon to the Chicago area. I am interested in hearing from those of you who have towed in windy conditions what you would recommend. I want to thank in advance for taking the time to respond to my question. Len Dave
You ask us a question and give us no info on the TV or TT.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #17

I will be towing an ORV 21 RD with tow hitch weight around 1,100. Trailer weight around 6500- 7,000 lbs. ( I plan to visit a Cat scale). And an equalizer wdh hitch. Tow vehicle is a Ford F-150. 4 wheel with eco boost 3.5L GTD, Axle ratio 3.55 with a truck payload of 1900 and Michelin E rated tires. Please tell me about your experiences in wind and what do you think is too high a wind to tow on Interstates; 30 mph, 40 mph? or less.
Thanks for asking for more clarification. Looking forward to your response. Thanks, Len Dave
Len Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My rig is quite different from what you have so these are just some tips. I can do a 40mph side wind in mine but it gets dicy over that and I slow way down or stop for a while. With the TV you have, power will be good. Keep the tires at max psi. Put the heavy stuff in the bed by the cab. Get everything adjusted befor the trip, brakes and hitch. People tow more with less a truck than you have. Look ahead, plan for the unexpected.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #19

Experience with 30 mph wind

I have towed a 21 foot Kodiak Cub long distances in 30 mph winds. I tow with a Nissan Pathfinder, so smaller than what you have planned.

Here is my experience. When it is a tail wind I suddenly have the ability to tow at 75 or even 80 MPh. When it is a head wind even 50 MPH is unstable. Normally I tow at 60 MPH.

With a head wind or cross wind I have to stop for fuel frequently, maybe every 150 miles. With a tailwind the Pathfinder can go for hours. Myself and my wife cannot.
You will have a heavier tow vehicle. That will give you more stability. You may have a more powerful engine. My engine has more capacity to pull than tire traction on rough potholed roads.
All this means that when the long hours crossing the Great Basin and other traffic is blowing by you, you will want to speed up. That will seem to work fine for a while. Then something unexpected will happen and you will then know you must slow down. Hopefully nothing bad will happen and you can maintain control.

I find that interstate highways are better when you are travailing below other traffic speeds. It allows other traffic to easily pass you.

Travel facilities are better and more frequent. Most places you will find other slow interstate traffic. Just join in in the outside lanes. Move in a lane in big cities to avoid entering and leaving traffic.

The western states often have high speed limits on 2 lane state and local highways. Pulling off the road to allow traffic to pass is uncomfortable and in some places risky. It may be necessary to avoid road rage and dangerous passing.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Dave View Post
I will be towing an ORV 21 RD with tow hitch weight around 1,100. Trailer weight around 6500- 7,000 lbs. ( I plan to visit a Cat scale). And an equalizer wdh hitch. Tow vehicle is a Ford F-150. 4 wheel with eco boost 3.5L GTD, Axle ratio 3.55 with a truck payload of 1900 and Michelin E rated tires. Please tell me about your experiences in wind and what do you think is too high a wind to tow on Interstates; 30 mph, 40 mph? or less.
Thanks for asking for more clarification. Looking forward to your response. Thanks, Len Dave
I have the same set up and weights are close to mine although my tongue weight is a bit less and Iím pulling a 23dbs. I bought a tongue weight scale so can check it as Iím packing the trailer.

I just returned from a trip on the N. CA coast. On the way home the wind was really howling and i just couldn't get away from the big rigs. I often had one on each side of me. I try to keep it at 60, sometimes faster depending on traffic situations. If a big rig passed me in those winds, i would momentarily feel it, might get a slight sway, and be back to normal just as quick as i felt it. Once clear of the big rigs on the highway, it was an easy ride. I really like the performance of the equalizer hitch.

My trailer loaded but 1/4 tank in fresh, weighs less then 7,000. I read tons of people saying such a trailer behind a 150 will not safely stop. Well, my trailer has brakes that are properly set, and i have no problems controlling the rig and stopping as needed. But i am easy on brakes, use tow haul, and unless Iím in stop and go traffic, hardly touch them. Keep your distance and watch your speed.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #21

Another close to identical rig here. I towed across E Colorado and western Kansas heading east with a very stout S wind and had no issues with the setup at 65 mph. I didn't realize how strong the wind was until we stopped to get out for fuel and the wind nearly blew the door off!

As a side note, I would recommend staying off the Interstates and use US highways which generally have a 65 mph limit +/- and decent shoulders. The traffic is considerably lighter, too with fewer 18 wheelers. We prefer the more interesting scenery and it just seems to make for a more relaxing drive.

BTW; This experience was prior to installing the Roadmaster AS which I put on because I can not seem to stop modding my PU!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Blue Ox Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
I made the trip from Oregon to Upstate New York after picking up our new trailer. Heat was the issue for the first few days, with every day over 100*. As we passed Billings Montana the wind we’re building steadily until it mandated getting off and staying at a campground. When we came through Ottawa Canada, it was rough going with the wind again. When I returned home I contacted Blue Ox and reviewed the DEALER installed WD hitch. It was incorrectly installed. The next summer we did our 23,000 mile transcontinental trip which included driving from Grand Canyon to Phoenix headlong into a tropical storm which washed out roads around the Grand Canyon area. The Blue Ox preformed perfectly for the whole six month adventure.

The Blue Ox along with a Strap Tek unit makes the set up a no brainer, yet it makes it more expensive than the Equalizer. Dealing with the Blue Ox chains was IMO, dangerous and the wife wouldn’t be able to deal with it if was necessary, thus the Strap Tek. With the strap Tek, she can hook/unhook the hitch. Either device would make a huge difference for your comfort and safety. Many folks here will recommend either. I had heard the noise from the equalizer and heard about the grease, so I went with Blue Ox, yet I found that the Blue Ox has some of the same characteristics. They both make a difference and either will serve you well.
Hello. We have a new '21 24RLS and not happy with our wdh setup. Towing with a 2020 Chevy Silverado LTZ gas with 2 1/2 receiver. Husband interested in Blue Ox. We are in our '60's so looking for something easier when hitching. Does this wdh fit the bill and where did you purchase and who installed? We are Bellevue, WA and would like to work with any dealer that is very familiar with this brand. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you.
Bondi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This Post is from April. Etiquette is usually start your own thread....
There are many combinations of WDH's and such.... You will get better answers and feedback that way..

IMO.. work with Apache In Everett where you bought it. I used to live in Everett and they always treated me right both sales and service
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #24

When we bought our 25RDS Apache installed the hitch. I was apprehensive but they nailed it. After owing it it's really a no brainer to install. They're preset from the factory with head tilt, so thats not something a dealer could screw up. It's really just plug b play IMO.
I tried it 1st using a breaker bar and that sucked. I then bought some StrapTeks and wow did it get easier. Super easy to hitch and unhitch.
Yes the total package is more than an EQ but I don't have noise or grease to deal with. Plus the spring bars fit perfectly right inside the cargo bays running parallel to the door.
As far as sway goes, well it's not a 5th wheel so you'll get some wandering on occasion but nothing to be concerned with.
My trucks a 2500 Ram and my TT's weighs around 9300-9500 lbs FWIW.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, wind