Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #15

Very interesting design on the Strap Teks. Some of the early reviews had issues with the quality of the product. Any one else want to chime in on good or bad.
4everlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
Very interesting design on the Strap Teks. Some of the early reviews had issues with the quality of the product. Any one else want to chime in on good or bad.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...nnect-the-Bars

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ner-80868.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/straptek-250853-2.html
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:51 AM   #17

Straptek

Im gonna give em a try on my Blue ox. On our last trip a lot of the campgrounds had the truck on a upward slope to get the hitch undone and finally we were at one in Boone N.C. at the KOA and I could not get it undone. In frustration I forced it thinking I would let go of the breaker bar when it passed the top of the cam as I new I would not be able to stop it. It let go so quick it hyperextended my arm and tore my Bicep tendon off at the elbow.
So I think I will try the straptek on our next trip in April as we are going coast to coast and anticipate the same issues. May throw the Blue Ox ones and chains in the truck in case I change my mind. Paid $280.00 Canadian on amazon.ca for Straptek kit.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never had a bad time with the chains and snap-over bars, old school. I would like the ability to adjust them a little tighter but not a full link. The nylon strap will wear and the sun will not be it's friend. The chains will last forever and what little noise they make is not an issue. If / when I do decide to get a new hitch the BO is at the top of my list, chains and all.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #19

Straptek

I think it is dependant on some other factors as well for the straptek. We camp in small campgrounds a lot so hook and unhook from all angles. Also we have 1500 lb bars which can be a grunt unless you totally lift hitch and truck(which is full) with jack . Just the fact that most owners with Blue Ox SP ditch the wrench it comes with and get a big breaker bar kind of tells you a lot.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I have never had a bad time with the chains and snap-over bars, old school. I would like the ability to adjust them a little tighter but not a full link. The nylon strap will wear and the sun will not be it's friend. The chains will last forever and what little noise they make is not an issue. If / when I do decide to get a new hitch the BO is at the top of my list, chains and all.
After you have an experience like Telemarc you'll sell the BO or get strap teks.
I have a small dent on the front of my ORV's diamond plate where my breaker bar slipped out of my hands when unhitching. If you're not lined up straight then the chains will bind when releasing. If you're in a V situation then getting enough tension off the chains is hard to do and you'll end up with a big bang when releasing the chains.
If I knew what I knew now I would've bought a different hitch. In all fairness to BO I'm hitching 2,000 lb bars with 1350 lbs for TW. I have a lot of tension when releasing. And I do raise the truck when hitching. There are other WDH's out there that are easier to hitch.
If I had a 700 lb TW and lighter bars it would be no big deal. All I can say is under certain circumstances the force when releasing is dangerous.

The straps will last 10 yrs easily.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #21

Thanks Cumminsfan for the links. I think that I will get a set to try with the Easy Lift WDH which came with the trailer I've got. When my new 24KRS comes in next summer I will probably go with the Blue Ox and put these Strap teks on it. I'll let the Easy Lift go with the trailer, just like I got it.

As a retired millwright, I've used nylon straps thousands of times. As long as they aren't torn/frayed they will handle thousands of pounds of pressure. If damaged, they need to be replaced immediately. I've had more chains break on me than the nylon straps.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #22

Straptek

Even if I only get 5 yrs out of the straptek and replace them I'm good with that. When we travel we use them lots, 54,000 km on our last trip. I am a strong fit guy that is heavy into competitive sports and strength training and when the bar snapped my arm it caught me by surprise even though I was prepared for it. The truck was on an incline in the site and the trailer was flat level and I could not get the jack up high enough to relieve the pressure on the bars. This has also happened in the past and I have a couple dents in checker plate on front of trailer to show for it. I will mention that when I dismantled the chain today on the Blue Ox Bars the U-Bolts on the bars were worn 30 % through so I just ordered new ones. No wear on chain although you could just swap ends if there was. We are heading across Canada and the US to PEI in the spring so will take the Blue ox chain setup in the spare parts tub in case we have issues with the Straptek that I can't fix but I don't anticipate any.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #23

Ok, the new strap tek's were delivered today (Thank you Prime). I plan on bringing the trailer to the house on Tuesday, I'll see how they fit.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #24

Mine are here too

Mine arrived and look to be in fine order. I wont be mounting them till the spring. New u bolts for the spring bars were 20 bucks.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #25

Everyone will have an opinion on the best setup. I firmly believe that it's most important to have whatever unit you choose is sized right and set up correctly then tuned to your needs. Don't just take someones opinion that it's set up right and ready to go. I see way too many crummy lash-ups bombing down the highway for me to think everyone that sets one up knows what they're doing. I also think it's best to stay away from the the cheap Chinese setups. But........embarrassingly enough, my Reese Trunion setup is made in China!.....but it's not cheap Chinese........it's expensive Chinese!
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #26

Installed the new Strapteks and really like the way they operate. Simple and quick. I towed for 2.5 miles to the storage so I can't tell yet on the anti sway. I did leave the anti sway for the truck turned on.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a 24KRS which is being towed by Ram 3500 SRW … we have a WeighSafe WDH with 1500lb bars… besides the great tow I like the built in scale and the weigh safe app that lets you REALLY dial in the setup !

Joe
JoeOSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #28

Does the WeighSafe use chains to attach the bars? If so is it possible to swap out to the strapteks? Also was wondering who makes the WeighSafe WDH? If it is the same ones who make the Weigh Safe that plugs into the OBD, I don't think you could give me the hitch. I tried the weigh safe for my truck, it never could show that I had any payload, therefore it couldn't determine tongue weight. I put over 700# in the bed trying to make it work. It turned out to be a $100 device to light to even make for a paperweight for my desk.

Sorry, end of rant.

Tags
hitch, weight