Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
Does the WeighSafe use chains to attach the bars? If so is it possible to swap out to the strapteks? Also was wondering who makes the WeighSafe WDH? If it is the same ones who make the Weigh Safe that plugs into the OBD, I don't think you could give me the hitch. I tried the weigh safe for my truck, it never could show that I had any payload, therefore it couldn't determine tongue weight. I put over 700# in the bed trying to make it work. It turned out to be a $100 device to light to even make for a paperweight for my desk.

Sorry, end of rant.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #30

Cumminsfan, thanks for the video. It was good information.

Two questions. (1) Does anyone know if the weigh safe bars can be adapted for the Straptek straps. I really like how they work.

(2) If I read it right on the weigh safe advertisement, the weigh safe system fits up to 6" frames. If I remeber correctly. the 24KRS I have ordered has an 8" frame. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
Cumminsfan, thanks for the video. It was good information.

Two questions. (1) Does anyone know if the weigh safe bars can be adapted for the Straptek straps. I really like how they work.

(2) If I read it right on the weigh safe advertisement, the weigh safe system fits up to 6" frames. If I remeber correctly. the 24KRS I have ordered has an 8" frame. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again.
Just to answer my own question, I heard back from Weigh Safe. They don't make a setup for 8" frames. 6" is as big as it goes for their WDH system. It looks like an equalizer for me then.

After watching their video their antisway works on friction at the hitch as well as the mounting bracket. If the straptek's are adapted to these bars, the friction at this point will be lost. Not sure how much it affects the anti sway. May have to experiment next fall when I have everything. If I remember, I'll report back.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #32

I found this video a while back. The guy tests 6 different WDH's over a period of about a year.
Spoiler alert.
Blue Ox was last and the Pro Pride was 1st.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I found this video a while back. The guy tests 6 different WDH's over a period of about a year.
Spoiler alert.
Blue Ox was last and the Pro Pride was 1st.

Yep, a good video I had already seen. I can't justify the propride cost, personally only taking a few trips per year at best. When I watched the propride video's several weeks ago, it looked like a great product, but on the video the installer from the factory was having problems setting it up. Not for me, I've lost that kind of patience.

Thanks for the video, I hope others will look at it also. Quite informative.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[ They don't make a setup for 8" frames. 6" is as big as it goes for their WDH system. ]
4everlooking, the frame is 8" but the front triangle is 6' so the weigh Safe would work.
dkkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #35

Yeah I'd have a real hard time dropping #3400 for a Pro Pride.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Yeah I'd have a real hard time dropping #3400 for a Pro Pride.
Yep, I have no doubt it's the best but that's alot of coin. A buddy bought one for his F150 towing a 24' TT......with a CRF250 hanging off a bumper hitch! If anything would be unstable, that setup would do it but the Propride made it all work reasonably well (he didn't crash anyhow). He sold the trailer and offered me the hitch but even used, it wasn't cheap and I didn't need it with my current setup......I almost bought it just to have for a future, lighter truck but in the end it was too much $$ to have sitting in my shed for an indeterminate time.

Dave
Old 12-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkarl View Post
[ They don't make a setup for 8" frames. 6" is as big as it goes for their WDH system. ]
4everlooking, the frame is 8" but the front triangle is 6' so the weigh Safe would work.
Is the front triangle 6" on all of the trailers? Specifically I'm interested in the Back Country series. If that is the case, the Safe Weigh is back in the lead. I would rather be able to weigh from the hitch each time I hook up instead of using a separate tongue scale. My driveway isn't level so I would have to pull into the street to properly weigh each time. I can see where I might tire of this.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yep, I have no doubt it's the best but that's alot of coin. A buddy bought one for his F150 towing a 24' TT......with a CRF250 hanging off a bumper hitch! If anything would be unstable, that setup would do it but the Propride made it all work reasonably well (he didn't crash anyhow). He sold the trailer and offered me the hitch but even used, it wasn't cheap and I didn't need it with my current setup......I almost bought it just to have for a future, lighter truck but in the end it was too much $$ to have sitting in my shed for an indeterminate time.

Dave
Yep, I'm already spending A LOT OF $ between the truck and trailer and I'm finding new items every day It also looks pretty complicated to set up. I imagine with practice it would get better. I'm sure it is the best thing out there, but I'm not sure I need the best of everything.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Pro-Pride and really like it, it has made hitching quite a bit easier, no bars to install, if I dont take the stinger off the back of the truck, so that I dont bust a knee, there is nothing to remove or install to hitch or unhitch, just raise and lower the jacks on either side for the bars. Yes it is expensive, but no longer feel the 18 wheelers when passing them or vice versa, and since we are hoping this will be the last TT we purchase might as well make things as easy as possible. Have a backup camera in the license plate frame that shows me exactly where the stinger is to make hitching up a snap, even the wife does it. Just my 2 cents worth.
tstrubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #40

I used a Hensley Arrow for a couple years and yes they're are a fantastic WDH. I would probably look hard for a used HA or PP but I have a situation that makes hitching at the house a PITA. When hitching my trucks sloping down in the rear and the TT's sloping down in the front making a V. It takes 5-6 tries to get the stinger in the HA/PP because I have to get out and raise the couple in small increments to get it fully inserted. Same with unhitching. I have to slowly retract it in increments. If there were a quicker way to do it with less hassle I'd be all over a used one again.
They do mitigate 100% of any sway or wiggle.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #41

Decision made. Toing with the Weigh Safe.My trailer salesman called me on the phone (not text) and confirmed the towing frame is 6". He handles the Weigh Safe and Equalizer. The WS is a little more expensive, but I want to be able to check the weight each time and be able to adjust accordingly without having another device to haul (tongue scale). When I get the trailer this fall, they will have one with my name on it and will set it up on my unit & truck.

Tags
hitch, weight