Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

Weight distribution hitch for 24KRS

Looking for opinions/advice. I've got a 1 ton single wheel Ram Diesel HO on order. Wanting to match it up to a 24KRS. Is a weight distribution hitch &/or anti sway necessary? Plan on a mix of mountain and flat driving.
4everlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a 24KRS also. It is very tongue heavy with the large LP tanks and 4 6-volt batteries. Don't know the weight yet but thinking around 1400 lbs. Pull with a Ram 2500 and it handles it fine. We use a Equilizer with 1400 lb. bars. It is as much about sway control as weight distribution. Wouldn't want to tow without.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4/4:10
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Waunacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #3

I had that trailer, and towed with an F350, long wheelbase, SRW. I would tow locally without the weight distribution bars on my hitch, but would hook up for longer trips.

My original hitch had pretty light bars, so I did not see much difference with the WDH.

I recently bought an Andersen WDH, and found that it worked better than my undersized Ease-Lift. The Andersen helped with steering just a little.

I suspect you could tow all right without a weight distribution hitch, but you could be more comfortable with a good WDH.

I used the Andersen only once before I traded the ORV for a 5er. I really ought to post it on Craigslist to see if I can get some of my money back!
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Mechanically you don't need WDH. Physically you may want it.
I tow a 25RDS with a Ram 3500 SRW CTD with 4552 lbs of payload. TW is 1350 lbs. Yours will probably be lower but not by much. The 24KRS TW is 965 dry. Guessing you'll be near 1200lbs loaded.
Mechanically I don't need a WDH but the problem I get is the front of the truck floats up and down if no WDH is used. It gets really annoying when traveling over certain sections of hwy's. I use a Blue Ox with 2,000 lb bars and run them a little light. I used 1500 lb bars but to get the ride I wanted I needed to crank em real tight and that made the ride too jerky. Blue Ox said to try 2,000 lb bars only don't crank em tight.
That works well for me. Since you don't actually need a WDH then I'd suggest trying it without and see what you think and go from there.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I watched the videos for the ProPride hitch. Very interesting,VERY expensive, VERRRRY complicated installation. It seemed like the factory guy had difficulty with it.
I will probably be looking elsewhere in my learning process. I live in the midwest and will probably get the trailer on the west coast. Trying to figure if I need it before the trip home or not.
4everlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
Thanks for the responses. I watched the videos for the ProPride hitch. Very interesting,VERY expensive, VERRRRY complicated installation. It seemed like the factory guy had difficulty with it.
I will probably be looking elsewhere in my learning process. I live in the midwest and will probably get the trailer on the west coast. Trying to figure if I need it before the trip home or not.
I went back and forth with this recently as well. Hopefully picking my trailer up in the next couple weeks (1000 miles away) and ended up going with a blue Ox 15k. Seemed easier than the equalizer and came more recommended than Andersen
NickInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #7

Picked up our 22FQS 5 weeks ago. Almost 4000 miles on her now. Have a Blue Ox 15000. Has towed like a champ thru out the Utah curvy national parks, 14% grades. Even though I have a 3500 I have never questioned the decision to go with the SwayPro. We are in this for enjoyment. Anything that helps eliminate worry is worth it.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I've been running the Blue Ox Swaypro 15K/1500 on our 23DBS for over 16K miles now all throughout the western states. It's a rock solid hitch and I've been very happy with it. A good 18" breaker bar with 1" 6-sided socket and lifting things up a bit with the tongue jack to reduce the tension helps a lot when hooking/unhooking.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With that cool wratchet device for the chains, I would think you could tighten them without lifting the tongue.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
With that cool wratchet device for the chains, I would think you could tighten them without lifting the tongue.
I got rid of the ratchet device chain attachment and went with Strap Teks.
I can hookup with out lifting the truck but rarely do.
I hated the BO chain up thing. It was great hitching but unhitching with a 1350 lb TW meant there was a lot of tension on the 2000 lb spring bars even with the truck raised. The force that the bracket releases when unhitching is nasty and if you don't have a good grip on the cheater bar things can go south instantly.

https://store.lci1.com/straptek-weig...it-335852.html

Amazingly I only paid around $120 ish for mine. But they're so easy to use.
Been on the TT for 3 seasons and zero issues.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #11

Strap Teks....i have to look into that, looks like easy to use product

pueblo, colorado
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My round bar hitch is 20 years old with some wear on the head holes where the bars go in. Still works fine but thinking might be time to upgrade the system. Wonder what the lifespan is of the straps. Chain lasts longer than I do.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #13

Love everything about my Equalizer except the weight of it.
I just wish they made a 3" shank for my F350.
I particularly like the direct attachment of the sway bars.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
My round bar hitch is 20 years old with some wear on the head holes where the bars go in. Still works fine but thinking might be time to upgrade the system. Wonder what the lifespan is of the straps. Chain lasts longer than I do.
My straps are 3 years old. Left out in the rain and sun 24/7/365. They still look new. What I like best about them besides being easy to use is that they take the place of the chains which means I'm not dragging the bars around with chains on them. Not that big of a deal but the cool thing about ORV's front compartments is the BO bars will lay flat right up against the opening when storing them. Not having the chains on the ends of the spring bars just makes handling them easier.
I could see them lasting many years.

Tags
hitch, weight