Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
Now, looking for opinions on another topic.
On The Flintstones, who was hotter, Betty or Wilma?
Who wants to start?
BETTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
We can't go there until we've done the Ginger or Mary Ann debate.
Mary Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Instead of another wife, since I already got one, can I settle instead for Dino? Man, I'd love to have a dog like that.
Dino. Our last dog was a rescue that they had named Mickey. Border Collie/Beagle----first time we hear him bark it was obvious his name should be DINO. Yaba Yaba, Yaba
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #58

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderworks View Post
Here is subject that will get some crazy comments:

Diesels:
yea, they pull, yea they get ok mpg, but.......they cost a fortune.

..good luck getting a newer diesel to run after warranty is up.
..hopefully when things go wrong, you can find a mechanic to fix it, especially if your in a small town area.
..repair costs just cost too much.
..how often do injectors go bad...every 30,000 miles?
..def....if your diesel requires def...pretty sure you havea bad diesel truck, def ruined all diesels.
..have known a few people with older diesels that are great.
..have known a few people with new diesels who throw $$$$ at it, trying to make is run

just my thoughts, as you can tell, i am pro gasser. and love to stir the pot
The may cost more but they retain their value. I recently sold my 2012 F250 Super Duty for more than I paid for it, after putting 90k on it.

Warranty? Just like any other machine its about maintenance. I didnt have any major issues.

Repair costs? I did most of my own maintenance such as oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc. It also had the same injectors as when new, with over 150K on the clock.

Depending on where you live, you can delete DEF if you want, but it does not "ruin" the truck or make it "bad"

You didnt stir my pot - but now you know someone else who had a great diesel truck!
UncleBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #59

In 5 years....

It won't make a difference. To support 'green' energy, they must make it so regular fuels are too expensive, and electric is 'cheap' enough for us to put up with all the problems.

The only way to get something widely accepted (that is forced on you) is to make all other alternatives painful.

Change is driven by making the "lowest cost, technically acceptable" the best option.

Sorta like 'military grade'.
vt800c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #60

Forrest Gump had an answer for those that like to stir the pot.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #61

Show me a gasser coach that can tow 10,000 lbs. and I might consider it. I couldn't find one and even if I did I probably wouldn't like the mileage or the uphill performance. There is a place for gassers and there is a place for diesels, they're just not the same places. As for the DEF issues, they will be solved, likely in the next year or two. Heck for about $100 I made a box that will get me down the road until I can get my DEF head replaced if it ever goes bad.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #62

Quote:

Diesels:

..hopefully when things go wrong, you can find a mechanic to fix it, especially if your in a small town area.
..def....if your diesel requires def...pretty sure you havea bad diesel truck, def ruined all diesels.
..have known a few people with new diesels who throw $$$$ at it, trying to make is run

No modern diesels for me. Been there done that. However, pre-emissions is absolutely wonderful.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #63

I drive diesels because I like to drive diesels. Great torque and power. If you fall into "the sky is always falling" with newer diesel trucks then buy a gasser. I have nothing against gassers, my wife drives a 2020 Expedition with a 3.5 twin turbo that I think is outstanding both in drivability and power. But, I like diesels and am willing to put up with whatever perceived negatives come with the modern diesel engine.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Right now it seems more geared to semis and fleet owners. But its just the begining of the end i would venture..
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/californ...ruck-pollution

I too may be dead b4 my little ram 6.7 get banned
From CA roadways. But at 4.50 a gal i wont be visiting
Your lovely state for awhile..
Yes, please stay away
robertlipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndude View Post
My 2012 f250 has had some costs I wasn't prepared for. At a 105K it was having DEF system issues, and sensor issues, prices quoted from $1,800 to $2,200, So, Researched and found a very good diesel Shop that really new there stuff. I asked there head Mechanic, what could I expect to go wrong with my truck, he pointed to a number of items, mostly all the components of the DEF system and sensors, He also suggested a complete DEF system delete.

Total cost, $2.400 and some change. I now have a Truck that runs like a raped APE! Better than the day I bought it! I now have 136K on it, and pull a 32Ft TT and get 11.4 towing, If not towing, 18 city, 20-21Hwy. It was worth every penny to be done.
I do hope you get caught and have to pay the $15k fine and get your truck impounded. Just one more jerk who puts himself in front of everyone else.
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #66

Quote:

Diesels:

I am a heavy duty mechanic and I have been a fleet manager for a very large trucking company.
I looked after a large fleet that consisted of
International, Freightliner and Volvo class 8 trucks and Freightliner and International city delivery trucks.
They all used DEF.
I had many many of our trucks run well over 300,000 km without ever needing an injector changed.
We had some issues with DEF injectors when they first came out but that problem disapeared e eventually.
The main thing I learned is that the new generation engines have to run a lot hotter than the old generation.
Most manufactures were looking for engine temps of 200 deg F or even a bit hotter.
We had some difficulty at first getting our city trucks to reach and run at that temp with stop and go deliveries and had to run with rad shields in place. Once we did that the need to run regeneration in the city disappeared.
We would run a manual regen once a week.
In talking to a shop I dealt with in Whitehorse Yukon he told me he had a lot of Class A motorhomes from the USA on his lot waiting for repairs. They were all the high hp models 500 hp and up.
The cause was that since these engines are designed to push 100,000 lbs down the road, they don't work hard enough pushing a class A motorhome and don't run hot enough to properly burn the exhaust, so the wind up with plugged Diesel Exhaust Filters and other problems.
So to cut to the chase, Diesels are fine in the proper application with the correct engine matched to the application.
A friend has a Cummins engine in his motorhome and has made 3 cross Canada trips and 2 cross the USA and into Mexico trips without a single issue with his diesel motorhome that takes DEF.
Old Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
Hey all you anti-DEF guys, just think about all the lives lost to respiratory diseases because of particulates and NOx. Diesel emissions without DEF and other equipment are especially dangerous for the environment and your health. Before long, diesel and gas will be phased out in favor of EVs or hydrogen. Not soon enough IMHO. Meanwhile, put in the DEF and stop complaining, please.

Hey, You got proof of that! How about the rest of the world, were all breathing the same Air globally. and I can assure you with proof that the Chinese ain't even close to any kind of pollutant controls. We will some day shift from fossil fuels, but not in my lifetime.
southerndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer1 View Post
I have been struggling with this issue myself. I currently have a 'worked' 8.1 yukon xl. Last of the big blocks. Pulls my 11k camper no problem throughout the western states. Part of me wants to upgrade to the latest and greatest...but the other part says to be content with what I have! I average 6 mpg towing but I hear some ppl with new diesels only getting 8. Can't seem to justify the switch based on fuel economy.
If this helps, we went from a 2019 F-150 5.0L gasser with max tow to a 202 F-250 6.7L diesel. MPG went from 8.9 to 13.8 on a 6500 mile trip last summer. About 40% was mountain driving in the Rockies and Cascades. Trip before that with gasser averaged 7.4 mpg in mountains. Diesel was between 11 and 12 mpg with a lot of long climbs.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #69

Every guy I've asked says "Betty" without fail. One thing to ponder is that Betty's boy, Bam Bam, looks a lot like Fred, and Pebbles looks more like Barney.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:21 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPNW View Post
That is why you buy a Ford and get Ford's ESP. It's the best in the industry. Then when your vehicle gets to the end of its 8 year ESP plan, you trade it in on a new Diesel, rinse and repeat.
Well, yes...that's a great idea if you want to be in hock up to your eyeballs for the rest of your life.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel