Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmoore View Post
My experience with diesel trucks goes back to 2004. Since that time I have had 4 Duramax GMC's and the experience has been amazing. No significant issues and each truck had about 160,000 kms (100k miles)before I traded for a new one. The dealer's love to have diesel trucks in trade and the extra initial cost is more than made up in resale value vs a gas truck. I must confess that I am from Alberta Canada and trucks have always be very popular in my area.

This past spring I traded my 2015 truck in for a new one and the trade difference was about $15,000 cdn less than I expected. The new 2021 GMC is very powerful, comfortable, quite, and because of the emissions in place no black soot like the old trucks. I simply would not even consider a gas unit to pull my F28RKS.

Everyone has different needs and wants, so if a gas unit works for you then go for it.
Just wanted to say I love your avitar Ghia. Is it yours? Very nice.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderworks View Post
Here is subject that will get some crazy comments:

Diesels:
yea, they pull, yea they get ok mpg, but.......they cost a fortune.

just my thoughts, as you can tell, i am pro gasser. and love to stir the pot
Yep, nobody has ever started a gas v diesel thread.

Maybe for your 6th post, you can add something productive to the forum.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Yep, nobody has ever started a gas v diesel thread.

Maybe for your 6th post, you can add something productive to the forum.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Just about everyone I know with a DEF diesel truck has been having emissions issues outside of warranty. If you have not had any issues, you are among the lucky ones. My suggestion now is to find an older pre-DEF truck and fix it up. I would still take a repaired older diesel over a new gas truck.

Ken
Funny I know no one with problems…. Drive a diesel fire engine at work that also has a DEF system. No issues at all and they get driven a lot harder than most pick ups. Cold start, hammered on for less than 5 miles and shut off. My engine has over 70k on it and no issues other than routine PM. It’s my experience everyone that complains… likes to complain. I have a 22 F350 6.7 no issues either and I’m averaging 20mpg.
NickInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #19

I bought a Diesel Tractor motor to TOW with

Next door neighbor has a diesel....
His three sons all have diesels
Across the street neighbor has a diesel
Neighborhood has several diesels

All run and are used daily...........W/O issue!

Had a gasser that knew when I had $200 in my pocket.

Then again had another gasser that worked hard all day long

Apples and oranges or peaches and grapefruit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 15 Cummins 380hp ISL with DPF, CAT, and DEF system has had no problems, is working fine at almost 50k.
DEF does not ruin diesels, its after the engine and Turbo.
I'm easy on it, drive very conservatively don't start it unless I have to, then put a low load on it, like you should. I don't idle hardly at all, moniter temps close.
I can't believe all the misconceptions out there, read your book or get correctly informed. Engineer here.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #21

I have been struggling with this issue myself. I currently have a 'worked' 8.1 yukon xl. Last of the big blocks. Pulls my 11k camper no problem throughout the western states. Part of me wants to upgrade to the latest and greatest...but the other part says to be content with what I have! I average 6 mpg towing but I hear some ppl with new diesels only getting 8. Can't seem to justify the switch based on fuel economy.
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
My 15 Cummins 380hp ISL with DPF, CAT, and DEF system has had no problems, is working fine at almost 50k.
DEF does not ruin diesels, its after the engine and Turbo.
I'm easy on it, drive very conservatively don't start it unless I have to, then put a low load on it, like you should. I don't idle hardly at all, moniter temps close.
I can't believe all the misconceptions out there, read your book or get correctly informed. Engineer here.
I don't think anyone said DEF ruins the engine. It just adds another layer of expensive things to go wrong. Adds another tank, pump,fluid heater, heated lines, fluid injector, another cat and NOx sensors on top of the cat, dpf, oxygen sensors, exhaust temp sensors, EGR and EGR cooler that are also part of the emissions package. It is great when it is all working correctly. Not so great when the truck is out of warranty and needs repairs that cost thousands of dollars. Add on the cost of the diesel option and it all adds up. You could replace a gas engine cheaper in most cases.

On the other hand, there isn't much choice for large gas engines these days. I think that could possibly change in the near future. We'll see.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #23

One of the reasons we upgraded to diesel is to provide for a more comfortable towing experience for my girlfriend in the event I'm incapacitated and unable to drive. With the added torque and, more importantly, engine braking, we believe she'd be able to more confidently tow if necessary.

I haven't done so yet but, as others have suggested, I'll soon purchase the 8 year 150K mile Ford ESP.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #24

If you tow alot diesels are better. A weekender
May be fine with a gasser. Yes towing you can
Expect half the mpg of a diesel..and diesels
Are a 10k upgrade in most cases. I regulary
Pass gassers on hills. But thats not a reason
To buy a diesel. My 07 2500 was a great truck.
I now have a 17 ram dually. It gets the same mpg
Towing as the 07 pre dpf did. But it can haul
Like no ones buisness. I like diesels. But they
Do cost more. I paid 30k for my 07 in 2011.
I sold that duramax for 23k this year.
So maybe diesels arent more expensive.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
Just wanted to say I love your avitar Ghia. Is it yours? Very nice.

John
Thanks - It is a '69 and going up for sale. My wife and I have a generous agreement. I can keep two classics and right now I have 3. The Ghia is my favorite but I have had it the longest and a new winter project is underway.

PM me if you or anyone else is interested because I know this is not the right place for talking about classic cars.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
I don't think anyone said DEF ruins the engine. It just adds another layer of expensive things to go wrong. Adds another tank, pump,fluid heater, heated lines, fluid injector, another cat and NOx sensors on top of the cat, dpf, oxygen sensors, exhaust temp sensors, EGR and EGR cooler that are also part of the emissions package. It is great when it is all working correctly. Not so great when the truck is out of warranty and needs repairs that cost thousands of dollars. Add on the cost of the diesel option and it all adds up. You could replace a gas engine cheaper in most cases.

On the other hand, there isn't much choice for large gas engines these days. I think that could possibly change in the near future. We'll see.

John

DEF does ruin engines…….if you put it in the fuel tank. One of my friends had one of his workers who didn’t know anything about diesels and def dump a jug of def into the fuel tank. Started the engine to drive away. Big problem. Cost them a small fortune to get fixed.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
DEF does ruin engines…….if you put it in the fuel tank. One of my friends had one of his workers who didn’t know anything about diesels and def dump a jug of def into the fuel tank. Started the engine to drive away. Big problem. Cost them a small fortune to get fixed.
You can ruin anything with stupid.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #28

i am the original poster of this thread.

what a great response on both sides!
thanks for all the contributions.

now, if my ORV trailer ever comes in, i can talk about that.
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel