Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

Why a diesel truck?

Here is subject that will get some crazy comments:

Diesels:
yea, they pull, yea they get ok mpg, but.......they cost a fortune.

..good luck getting a newer diesel to run after warranty is up.
..hopefully when things go wrong, you can find a mechanic to fix it, especially if your in a small town area.
..repair costs just cost too much.
..how often do injectors go bad...every 30,000 miles?
..def....if your diesel requires def...pretty sure you havea bad diesel truck, def ruined all diesels.
..have known a few people with older diesels that are great.
..have known a few people with new diesels who throw $$$$ at it, trying to make is run

just my thoughts, as you can tell, i am pro gasser. and love to stir the pot
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderworks View Post
Here is subject that will get some crazy comments:

Diesels:
yea, they pull, yea they get ok mpg, but.......they cost a fortune.

..good luck getting a newer diesel to run after warranty is up.
..hopefully when things go wrong, you can find a mechanic to fix it, especially if your in a small town area.
..repair costs just cost too much.
..how often do injectors go bad...every 30,000 miles?
..def....if your diesel requires def...pretty sure you havea bad diesel truck, def ruined all diesels.
..have known a few people with older diesels that are great.
..have known a few people with new diesels who throw $$$$ at it, trying to make is run

just my thoughts, as you can tell, i am pro gasser. and love to stir the pot
the age old counter to this is simply a gasser complaining b/c they can't afford a diesel.

That said, there are some great diesels and great gassers out here for any use case. Why can't we all just get along.
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #3

Are those your opinions or just some you thought up to stir the pot?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:09 AM   #4

I would not buy a new diesel truck and I own one now. The problems now out weight the positives in my mind. I put injectors in my 03 at 175K. If you can cheet the system(emissions) on the DPF only models, they are good. Anything with DEF just isn't cost effective anymore in my mind. Expensive to run and even more expensive to fix when they fail. My next truck will be a gas engine if I ever get rid of the 03. So far so good. If I was a long haul guy that might not be true, but I'm more of a week or 2 at a time guy.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just about everyone I know with a DEF diesel truck has been having emissions issues outside of warranty. If you have not had any issues, you are among the lucky ones. My suggestion now is to find an older pre-DEF truck and fix it up. I would still take a repaired older diesel over a new gas truck.

Ken
Old 10-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #6

For those who avoid diesels because of the emissions systems, be aware that particulate filters will be mandated for gasoline engines too. This is being done in Europe and you can expect it here in North America soon.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love my '14 with DEF and all the smog. Not towing I get 19MPG + at 80 mph. Towing there are no grades for me, just places other people go slower. I know there will be smog repairs down the road and I have saved for that. My 2500 Ram is a towing monster and the resale on it is solid if I ever want something new. If you don't tow much weight and 5K rpm's don't bother you just get a gasser. I do all my own service work. If/when I get a smaller trailer I might go gas.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #8

It's true most of the reasons for owning a diesel have gone away and unless driven mega miles the savings will be non-existent, even driving mega-miles the savings are no where near what they were when diesel engines were simple and reliable, and fuel was cheap. But I still prefer them. I know the newer ones will likely cost me more per mile than a comparable gas rig. I own 2 newer diesels, a Sprinter and a VW TDI, and one older 7.3 Powerstroke. The Powerstroke was the best investment bought used for $12,000 and 12 years later it is worth more than I paid and has never let me down. The others are too new to tell. There is new technology on the horizon that may make the present SCR systems become less necessary, it is called ducted fuel injection and both Ford and Caterpillar have invested in it.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
I would not buy a new diesel truck and I own one now. The problems now out weight the positives in my mind. I put injectors in my 03 at 175K. If you can cheet the system(emissions) on the DPF only models, they are good. Anything with DEF just isn't cost effective anymore in my mind. Expensive to run and even more expensive to fix when they fail. My next truck will be a gas engine if I ever get rid of the 03. So far so good. If I was a long haul guy that might not be true, but I'm more of a week or 2 at a time guy.

John
That is why you buy a Ford and get Ford's ESP. It's the best in the industry. Then when your vehicle gets to the end of its 8 year ESP plan, you trade it in on a new Diesel, rinse and repeat.

one thing is hard for people to get their minds around is the money that is out there right now. lots of people are rich, rich, rich. People you wouldn't expect and dropping $90k every four or five years on a new truck like it is nothing. I like to keep my rigs so I always put he 8 year Ford extended plan on it. If they went out 10 years, I'd get that. If you'd have asked me 15 years ago if we'd have $200k in cars in our 2 car garage, i would have laughed in your face. Now, not so much.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Almost hate to jumpin on this but I don't usually see the counter argument to "Diesels cost more" which is you get the money back at re-sale/trade-in time.

Otherwise yes, I agree that owning a newer diesel out of warranty is like playing Russian Roulette.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #11

lots of scare mongering with basically no evidence. "everyone I know..."

If diesels were falling apart after warranty, no one would buy a diesel. That is a fact. Good chuckle to think you can only get 50k miles out of your diesel before it fails.

Oh, while we are on the topic, I have a bridge made of gold for sale. Please wire the money to my account in Nigeria.

Seriously people...
Old 10-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #12

Does any Army or Marine tanker wish they were in a smaller tank?
Old 10-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #13

My experience with diesel trucks goes back to 2004. Since that time I have had 4 Duramax GMC's and the experience has been amazing. No significant issues and each truck had about 160,000 kms (100k miles)before I traded for a new one. The dealer's love to have diesel trucks in trade and the extra initial cost is more than made up in resale value vs a gas truck. I must confess that I am from Alberta Canada and trucks have always be very popular in my area.

This past spring I traded my 2015 truck in for a new one and the trade difference was about $15,000 cdn less than I expected. The new 2021 GMC is very powerful, comfortable, quite, and because of the emissions in place no black soot like the old trucks. I simply would not even consider a gas unit to pull my F28RKS.

Everyone has different needs and wants, so if a gas unit works for you then go for it.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #14

I normally do not divulge this on the net; 26mechanic years with Dodge........it isn't that the new diesels fall apart. The problem is that the emissions systems fail or you have CEL issues alot. They do seem to be getting better in that regard. The cost of those systems is very expensive. I, myself, would not buy a used diesel truck built with DEF. Like I said before, I'm not a long haul guy. I love my 03 diesel. If I can find a cherry 05-06 I will jump on it. Anything newer and I would pass unless it has been DPF deleted. No DEF for me at all. JMHO.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel