Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Window Shade mounting string

Has anybody else had an issue with the tension string that supports the window shades? I noticed a problem and after research found that the tension string is mounted to a spool that is screwed into the extremely thin window decorative covering. Every one of my blinds is ready to pull out of this mount. In an emergency fix, i moved the strings to the screw mounted in the the body, not the thin decorative piece. Thoughts? Suggestions?
badgett88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #2

When one of ours in the bedroom pulled out I ran a machine screw, probably a 6-32 or 8-32 x 1 in. (to the best of my memory) through the spool and through the side valance and secured it with a flat washer and nut on the outside of the valence. Didn't look all that great but it held. We decided to take out the side valences and blinds this summer and we're having pleated shades installed.
Howard Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IIRC ours have a thin block of wood glued to the valence where the spool is screwed in. No problems there so far. But where the valence has been screwed into the walls at the top has been a problem.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our trailer was put together by a person who stripped every screw on the valences. I found black machine screws as mentioned above. I put the head of the screw on the outside, with the nut on the inside where it can’t be seen. It was painful to drill that first hole but they look fine and the black matches all the other hardware.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours keep popping out as well. I like the idea of a longer screw with a washer on the other side of the valance. A black washer wouldn't be too noticeable. I think I'll pick up a few to have handy. Whoever was doing electrical and screwing in drawers/valance on our coach must've been tired that day. Too many things are misaligned or stripped. Sigh.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have done what most others have. Went to the local fabric store and got some decorative snap button covers. The local H. D. store has plain ones in the tool area. I think I used a 6-32 ×1-1/2" machine screw, trimmed the exposed side with the snap button and bolted the plastic spindle on the inside of the valance.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On my 2020 Timber Ridge the spools are on small L brakes that are screwed into the wall not into the valence.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #8

strings

I had an issue with the shades on the large rear window in my Glacier Peak. Contacted Irvine Shade and Door and they have all the procedures for adjusting the shades on their website www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/
Apparently ORV cuts the strings to "pretty" things up and they screw up the ability to adjust the alignment of the shades .
Silverdillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On my 2017 I used a machine screw with a washer on both sides of the valance trim cardboard thing and used a nut on the inside where the spool is. Painted the washer and screw head with a sharpie and although it doesn't match great it is dark enough that you can't see it unless you know it's there.

For the stripped screws where the valance mounts to the ceiling I used barbecue skewers and Gorilla wood glue to fill the holes with hardwood and then put the screws in WITHOUT stripping them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window