Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Boy, I'm never going to think I've been cold camping again---some of you folks are just over the top!!!! I thought 13 degrees with a strong wind was bad in our ORV, but compared to some of you, that would be a day at the beach.
I'm glad to be associated with hardy people who really are serious about their outings.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #16

"So why do you think the Generator wouldn't start? Propane too cold? Oil To Thick?"

Cause generators have feelings too!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
electric starter (generator battery) was kaput; wouldn't crank; cold too much for it. I tried a few pulls on the manual start rope and it didn't sound like it would respond. i was reluctant to try long and hard to start with the pull rope because i had surgery to re-attach bicep and that's a great way to pull it out again. main thing is it didn't even cough. 2 things i didn't try, which i probably should have: i have a Dewalt jumper battery with me that i keep warm in the trailer that can be used on the generator battery; i didn't try the starting fluid i also carry with me. not really sure why i didn't do the jumper, actually. on the oil, i run 0W-30 in winter and 10W-30 in spring/summer/early fall. i don't think it would have been hard on oil or engine if i'd jumped it to start, but i'll never know now. sometimes my gut says don't push it, especially in my first year with this thing.
key in extreme weather is to run the generator constantly or intermittently but at least every 3 hours, maybe 2. i carry enough fuel to run it for days. it is a dual propane/gas generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denali sign 2021.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	313590   Click image for larger version

Name:	In Riley campground.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	313591  

Name:	Yes minus 30F.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	313592  
troutmandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmandj View Post
electric starter (generator battery) was kaput; wouldn't crank; cold too much for it. I tried a few pulls on the manual start rope and it didn't sound like it would respond. i was reluctant to try long and hard to start with the pull rope because i had surgery to re-attach bicep and that's a great way to pull it out again. main thing is it didn't even cough. 2 things i didn't try, which i probably should have: i have a Dewalt jumper battery with me that i keep warm in the trailer that can be used on the generator battery; i didn't try the starting fluid i also carry with me. not really sure why i didn't do the jumper, actually. on the oil, i run 0W-30 in winter and 10W-30 in spring/summer/early fall. i don't think it would have been hard on oil or engine if i'd jumped it to start, but i'll never know now. sometimes my gut says don't push it, especially in my first year with this thing.
key in extreme weather is to run the generator constantly or intermittently but at least every 3 hours, maybe 2. i carry enough fuel to run it for days. it is a dual propane/gas generator.
That's friggin awesome!! I hope someday to get my camper up to Alaska for a long trip!
2Curtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #19

The traffic didn't look too bad!

ex-Wasillian
Old 01-06-2021, 11:28 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The photo showing the rig on the highway would be a good add for Outdoor. Great pic for sure.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #21

What I would be very interested in knowing from Troutmandj's -30F experience is how much propane do you estimate you burned through in 24 hours? What temp did you have thermostat at? Any estimate of average duty cycle on furnace? Did you run supplemental electric resistance heating while your generator was running? What did you do for items needing refrigerator temperatures? Presumeably the Norcold fridge wasn't an option? Did you have water in fresh water tank? Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 01-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
The traffic didn't look too bad!

ex-Wasillian
Why we like Alaska in winter. Denali is kind of awesome because it's crawling with people during prime time in spring/summer. pic shows typical traffic we encounter on our weekend jaunts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Denali drive sunset from parks hwy 2021.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	313754  
Old 01-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeders View Post
What I would be very interested in knowing from Troutmandj's -30F experience is how much propane do you estimate you burned through in 24 hours? What temp did you have thermostat at? Any estimate of average duty cycle on furnace? Did you run supplemental electric resistance heating while your generator was running? What did you do for items needing refrigerator temperatures? Presumeably the Norcold fridge wasn't an option? Did you have water in fresh water tank? Thanks for sharing your experience!
ok, wow. here goes. propane: i carry 2 40lb tanks on tongue, one 30lb reserve, and a small one about 15lb (don't know exactly, it's my gas grill tank) for the generator. consumption: 2 40lb tanks last about 10 days. 24 hrs barely dents one tank, it's very efficient, although realize when generator runs (often, at least 50% of the time) refrigerator is on electric and hot water heater is on electric. thermostat at 76 F, and the furnace runs almost constantly - a bit of a downside, but i get used to it running. i might could lower the thermostat but i want the warm air circulating around my water tanks. i am wondering if i put in some insulation under the slide and a skirt around the bottom whether that would significantly improve; likely so. at outside temp of 0 or warmer it cycles more, maybe every couple hours. Norcold does fine for refrigerator, runs auto on propane/electric. electric when generator is running. hot water heater is electric when generator is running. i run 2/3 full on fresh water tank - with that if it does freeze there is volume enough to allow for expansion. so far with the occasional freezes we've had i haven't had any line connections burst (knock on wood, and time will tell). it does fine while towing for 5-6 hours with furnace and water heater blanket turned on, but i have 2 250w heat lamps i put under the belly in camp, running off generator. water would freeze after about 8 hours without the heat lamps. that said, we carry 20 gallons jug water on board in case. antifreeze in black and gray tanks. i do have fresh water heating blanket (standard equipment came with 4 season capability), but it is not up to -30 temperatures. i've added no other supplemental heating. the 4 6v batteries i have (500 ah) will run everything, at -30, for 12 hours before we're down to 10v and they must be recharged. however, i need to run the generator periodically for the water and to keep the generator from freezing up. i have 2 solar panels for total of 350W - but in Alaska winter there isn't much daylight due to not only short days but cloud cover, not enough to rely fully on solar.
one final nugget: i dump tanks in my home septic, can't find any dump stations open in winter. my house outside water works for flushing black tanks and dump hose, and filling fresh water tanks, it's insulated right up to the spigot so doesn't freeze in winter and I keep the hose in the garage.
whew. so far looks like we have a system, the only thing i have my eye on is whether carrying fresh water in the tank is prudent. so far so good, but....
Old 01-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #24

Troutman, you neglected to mention the Numbero Uno reason we love winter.
Yup, no skeeters. 😉
Old 01-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #25

Ex-Peter’s Creek residence here. Spent many nights at these temps in a truck camper. Snow machining in Hatcher’s Pass, Eureka, and Petersville.
Not sure what it is, but being out in the winter at these temps would bring a feeling of stillness especially at night that I still remember 20 years later. Add in the Northern Lights, and it truly is a special feeling.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #26

Used to practically live at Hatcher Pass in the winter! My homie was the mine caretaker before it became a state park.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Troutman, you neglected to mention the Numbero Uno reason we love winter.
Yup, no skeeters. 😉
oooohhhh yeah, i forgot about that!
Old 01-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Ex-Peter’s Creek residence here. Spent many nights at these temps in a truck camper. Snow machining in Hatcher’s Pass, Eureka, and Petersville.
Not sure what it is, but being out in the winter at these temps would bring a feeling of stillness especially at night that I still remember 20 years later. Add in the Northern Lights, and it truly is a special feeling.
it is hard to explain isn't it? just sitting out there gives me a peace that's hard to find elsewhere. we love the Eureka area. i hope we are here for the finish line, no more moves.

Tags
camping, winter