Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

Winter Experience -20C/-5F

Had my record low temperature down to -20C/-5F Winter camping in 2017 23BHS last week. We had been in -7C/20F before with no issues. Here's what we found:

1. Insulation is fine for the most part. But the weak spots appear to be the aluminum frames and you can clearly see the vertical lines of frost at some places.

2. The front is the same - the wall is good but the horizontal joint along the front where the angle changes had a line of frost.

3. Same issue with the joints at bottom of the walls where they meet the floor. Frost and ice. No issue with the floor itself and it never felt too cold.

4. No issue with fridge, furnace, and other appliances.

5. Dump valves were frozen initially on arrival at campsite but eventual defrosted as the camper heated. So no issue there.

6. We had antifreeze in the water lines during travel. So no issue there. But the inlet to the water heater froze on the inside. Took 10 minutes with the hair dryer to get water flowing into the water heater again. Good thing ORV comes with a hair dryer.

Anyone has any idea on improving on the weak spots mentioned in 1-3 above? Thanks!
Species8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2022, 06:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We have boondocked at -11F / -23C. We were moving out of the North to a warmer climate and this was on the way South - we did this for 1 night in a class A motorhome. We made it but it is not recommended. The Aquahot did not turn off and the furnace barely kept up with the cold. I ran the generator all night, the fuel was close to gelling despite being treated. The generator did not stop but would miss occasionally. I ran a small electric heater as well in the coach and had the electric on for the AH. The temp inside the coach was around 58F by morning. Liveable, not comfortable.
The basement was all good, no frozen pipes or tanks.
Windshield had condensation frozen on the inside from top to bottom.
I was happy when the sun came up in the morning.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt there is any easy fix for the aluminum frame, it is transfers heat from outside to in. It the framing is hollow and you have access you could try putting in expanding foam but my guess that would be almost impossible.

The fact that you were able to camp in such cold weather is pretty impressive. My rig would not handle that cold easily. I did live in my rig with temps down to the low teens, some mornings I'd wake up with it 30's in the coach. I ran small space heater and only used the furnace sparingly trying to conserve propane.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #4

At some point it "is what it is" and -20C qualifies as extreme as far as usage goes IMO.

I agree with a previous poster; not much you can do about the heat transfer on the aluminum frames.

What you can do it to limit moisture so there is less to condense; ventilate by leaving a window or two cracked and running fans whenever you cook, shower, etc.

I would only run the furnace as electric heaters don't keep the belly warm so they defeat the purpose. I'd also open up the cabinets and access doors to the water pump, HWT and under the sink, etc. to keep those pipes as warm as possible.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 01-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #5

We ran both the propane heater and an electric heater. We are able to maintain a comfortable 15C/60F overnight and keep the belly of the trailer from freezing. However, the frost and ice on the joints never go away despite low humidity of 30%.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #6

We had all the same issues with ours at 7 degrees(not -7). I was able to address the inlet to the water heater with some copper tubing insulation. ORV doesn't(at least not on mine)address the water line insulation that are in the "outrigger area" of the flooring very well. The fiberglass is somewhat hap-hazardly toss over the water lines and not real solid. I don't really know that there is anything easy that can be done with the aluminum transfering cold from the outside to the inside resulting in frost other than attempting to come up with some sort of heating devise that clips to the door...............and I have no idea what I just said or what something like that would look like.........
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
We ran both the propane heater and an electric heater. We are able to maintain a comfortable 15C/60F overnight and keep the belly of the trailer from freezing. However, the frost and ice on the joints never go away despite low humidity of 30%.
what I'm saying is that you're better off running just the furnace; running any electric heater means that less heat is getting into the "basement".....at some point it WILL make a difference.

Dave
Old 01-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #8

All good points. I looked up the specs of some of the components... The propane regulator which has to sit outside has a lower operating limit of -20C. So I guess I was at the limit of how cold I should go.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #9

I've noticed condensation on the inside walls of our 2019 21RBS where the aluminum frames are so not surprised that there would be ice there in those temps. No idea how you could prevent it. The coldest we've camp in was about 12F last month with very strong wind. No problems at all with water system using just the furnace.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:42 PM   #10

Winter Experience -20C/-5F

Condensation on the inside walls is not really a big deal. Condensation getting in your attic, and condensing on the roof sheathing is. Here you have a water, and food source for that 4 letter word that starts with M.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was wondering what u guys did about the low point drain lines? I take it none of you had running water during -20? Can't believe those lines didn't freeze on you. Good thread by the way.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
In my case, we have a heated basement that I can set the temp in with a separate thermostat. The low point drains barely protrude through the insulated wall of that heated area and have never posed an issue.
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
I was wondering what u guys did about the low point drain lines? I take it none of you had running water during -20? Can't believe those lines didn't freeze on you. Good thread by the way.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:02 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Trip preparations

Good morning. We are preparing to head south and it's 15 degrees here in PA. The coach is winterized I'll wait to get to warmer weather to dewinterize. My question is can I use my Aquahot system to heat the inside while I work inside? The plumbing is full of antifreeze. Is the furnace loop closed and usable.

Thanks.
ggbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbeaver View Post
Good morning. We are preparing to head south and it's 15 degrees here in PA. The coach is winterized I'll wait to get to warmer weather to dewinterize. My question is can I use my Aquahot system to heat the inside while I work inside? The plumbing is full of antifreeze. Is the furnace loop closed and usable.

Thanks.
Sure can.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter