RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Angry You gotta be kidding me!

Okay okay, I know I am just bitching but I just got my registration bill in the mail for my 25rds Titanium. 517 freakin dollars! Yes I live in the nanny state of California. 427 to register the truck to tow it! This is so out of hand. I just hate being a victim of these greedy politicians. There, I feel better. Okay not really.

Lowriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a very big part of the reason we "moved" to South Dakota. A friend also "moved" there from California and cut his registration by 10's of thousands.
Why throw it away?
Just sayin'.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #3

We saved $ by registering in Ca vs Nv. Motorhome was $4200 in Nv and $1600 in Ca. Pickup and car were less in Ca as well.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Washington is much cheaper than South Dakota and insurance is cheaper here also.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. SD is cheap for everything except health insurance. NV is cheap for everything except plates. CA is expensive for everything except alcohol. OR actually has a "Privilege" tax when you purchase a vehicle. No matter what the state there's something or a lot of something :-(

Leon McKee
leonmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of people try to avoid paying registration by committing fraud on the forms, saying you live or keep the vehicls somewhere you don't. Saying you move out then sneek back in for any number of reasons. Say you live in a state with no income tax and register all your vehicles in a state with low reg. All the time being in a state with high everything. I hope the number of people that play those "games" is low.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Lots of people try to avoid paying registration by committing fraud on the forms, saying you live or keep the vehicls somewhere you don't. Saying you move out then sneek back in for any number of reasons. Say you live in a state with no income tax and register all your vehicles in a state with low reg. All the time being in a state with high everything. I hope the number of people that play those "games" is low.
When the system is rigged to screw over the taxpayers, screw over the system.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
When the system is rigged to screw over the taxpayers, screw over the system.

Interesting....just as an observation. Only our USA friends are bitching and complaining. All canadian provinces have personal income tax so it’s very,very difficult to move to a different province for the specific reason to avoid paying income tax.
Auto insurance costs differs widely from province to province..but it is what it is.

There is only one person who pays taxes respective of country.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #9

One way or another things need funded.
Oregon
Higher gas tax than some states
Higher state tax than some states
No sales tax
Low RV/Truck fees than most states
Etc, etc, etc
I always find those 'Best Places to Live' articles amusing. Many of the so called best states are in area's I'd never want to live in.
Cheap housing and low fuel prices don't make the surroundings better.
Quality of life is what you make of it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have no issue paying my fair share of my obligations to Big Bro & Co.
The issue I have is the previously mentioned entities gross mismanagement of those funds.
There was a blurb on the local news last night about the condition of Colorado roads and what to do about it.
Lots of caterwauling about not enough funding and how are we gonna pay for it. Raise this fee, implement this tax yada yada yadda.
SSDD.
But not one word on saving any money or trimming fat to pay for it.
How about not providing public funds or aid to non citizens?
Whatever happened to the billions of tax dollars that have been collected from the dope industry? It has been mysteriously "re-directed" numerous times.
They will spend millions putting in bicycle lanes and yet there is no revenue return from them.
And that is just 3 examples.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The high cost of sales tax and new registration is what is keeping me in what I have for the TT and truck. The money I save is keeping the toys going for me. The money to run a state has to come frome somewhere but the level of waste, corruption, and just plain stupid use of funds is troubling. It's hard to clean it up when everyone is in on the take.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had the chance to vacate California 23 years ago. Not trying to fan the flame here, but our decision was the best ever.
North Idaho is being filled with disgruntled Californians trying to find a better place. We don't relish losing our "space," but understand.
Our 2016 Ram reg is about $65.00, and I think the 2019 trailer reg was about $200.00. Our current tax rate is 6%, 3% unemployment rate, $2.30 gas, and a fairly low crime rate. As a side note, a newspaper article just published stated the population of our county was 87,000--with just a few over 9,000 being Democrats. One downside is the state minimum wage is still $7.50 an hour, which has many folks commuting to Washington state where the minimum wage is over $13.00 an hour.
SHHUUSSS!! Don't tell anyone.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:57 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Cost of living is relative to the wages of the state. In my 22 years in the Air Force, I was fortunate to travel all over this United States. I lived in California in 1972 with a wife and one child, and another on the way. It was pretty high cost of living for a airman with only one stripe. I had to work a part time job and do handy man work just to keep my head afloat. Rent, utilities and food just about took all my pay. Two things back then that were really cheap was: Vehicle registration 12.50, and Community College $1.00 plus books. Yes I was able to take a few classes, but boy was I tired. I think the reason they were cheap was my service time.

When I lived in Indiana, they taxed everything!!!! I left and never looked back.

Finally settled down in Texas. Cost of living is a lot cheaper, but wages are not very high either. So, I think one state to another is all based on income. If you make a lot, they will tax a lot!!!!

States that support lots of Social Programs will always be an expensive place to live. That is the world of Politics.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:13 AM   #14

Like has already been said you pay one way or the other. I have lived in Washington state, Texas and Arizona. Washington always seems to be rated as a higher taxed state but in my personal experience was that was the most expensive state. My property taxes were much cheaper then Texas and Washington but with no income tax I was saving 5% of my paychecks and that more then made up for it. Washington has a high gas tax but our tabs are cheap compared to Arizona and Texas. Basically in the end it’s the same amount you are losing it just is called a different tax in different states.

elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote