Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #1

Zamp solar port

Hello. I have a Zamp solar port on the side of my 2018 Titanium 24RKS.

Since I already have a solar panel on the roof to keep my batteries charged, what would be the best use of a solar panel connected to this port?

TIA.
texax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by texax View Post
Hello. I have a Zamp solar port on the side of my 2018 Titanium 24RKS.

Since I already have a solar panel on the roof to keep my batteries charged, what would be the best use of a solar panel connected to this port?

TIA.
Keep those batteries charged better? C'mon! A solar panel whether it is on the roof or off to the side is only good for one thing- charging the RV's batteries.

But maybe you were implying the use of an external panel to get around shade on the top of the RV. So that is the other use, assuming the cable is long enough and you can find a sunny spot.

FWIW I have tried this and it takes a lot of moving of the panel to stay in the sun. And often you get a sunny spot for an hour or so and then it goes away completely. Not worth it IMO.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #3

Another portable solar panel in case the roof panel is in the shade.
Or you could reverse the polarity on the Zamp plug and DIY a 12V plug for external devices. Or use the Zamp plug for a low wattage inverter to run some 120V items like a TV or light..
The Zamp should be wired directly to the batteries.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
It will depend on how you camp. Half the time we camp in more heavily forested areas where roof panels are not useful and I prefer to not run a generator unless absolutely necessary. For that reason our initial solar addition was a portable setup with 30 feet of cable. At some point we may add roof panels but so far our charging needs don't require them. If you never encounter shading conditions for the roof panels then unless your charging needs are greater than what you can put on the roof there would be no benefit to utilizing the side port.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #5

Very helpful, thanks y'all!
texax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #6

We have rooftop solar panels and a 140W portable panel. The portable panel is handy when you need a bit more power to charge up the batteries. You can easily aim and follow the sun with a portable panel, too.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

zamp

I think the zamp port on the side goes straight to the battery, for use with the solar suitcase type portable panels. The panels on roof feed thru your charge controller inside the house then on to the batteries. . The Solar Suitcase type panels have their own charge controller. I used this setup for years and it worked ok until the wind blew the portable panels over and smashed them on the rocks.

But now I have 800w on roof, 400ah lithium batteries, victron inverter charger, mppt charge controller, etc...... It was insanely expensive but amazing. I could never go back. If it's dark and overcast, the little Honda eu2200 generator will bring those lithium batteries from 50% charge to 100% in an hour. I never worry about electric power anymore.... But I digress.
Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whangler View Post
I think the zamp port on the side goes straight to the battery, for use with the solar suitcase type portable panels.
I doubt that is so. Since there are roof panels there is certainly a controller and the external port would feed the controller.

There are two ways to tell. The easy way is to put a multimeter on the two SAE connectors on the external port. The exposed "male" connector is positive and the sheathed "female" connector is negative. If you are sitting in the sun so the panels are charging your voltage at the external port should read between 17 and 21 volts. That tells you it's tied into the panels on the roof.

If it reads 12v to 13v then it's likely it is connected directly to the battery and you'd need external panels with a built in controller. If it's that higher voltage you'd need external panels without a built in controller.

The other way to tell requires you to unscrew the solar charge controller from the wall and visually look for 2-pairs of wires on the panel input connection - one pair will be from the roof and the other pair from your external port.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #9

Zamp ports are direct to battery as there panels have a built in controller.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
Zamp ports are direct to battery as there panels have a built in controller.
Not on my RV. I have an OEM factory installed Zamp external port and it is wired directly to the Solar Panel Input side of the solar controller.

I also have an OEM factory installed Zamp solar panel on my roof and it also does not have a built in controller.

So it's best to confirm with visual inspection or with a multimeter.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:20 PM   #11

the factory input on my trailer went straight to the bat. I added a controller and rewired the connector to go to it first. I have portable panel for keeping up the bat. I had to scout around an find a mfr that makes a compatible plug for the cable to the panel because the zamp stuff was too pricey for me.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
the factory input on my trailer went straight to the bat.
That seems to be the case if you don't have factory installed roof top solar panels. But when you do have factory installed solar there is always a controller installed, so they wire the ext port to the controller.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Not on my RV. I have an OEM factory installed Zamp external port and it is wired directly to the Solar Panel Input side of the solar controller.

I also have an OEM factory installed Zamp solar panel on my roof and it also does not have a built in controller.

So it's best to confirm with visual inspection or with a multimeter.
I think this pertains to ORV products since it's in the ORV section. Unless an error was made all Zamp side wall ports on ORV's are wired directly to the batteries.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I think this pertains to ORV products since it's in the ORV section. Unless an error was made all Zamp side wall ports on ORV's are wired directly to the batteries.
Even when there are factory installed solar panels that also has a separate solar controller installed???? That seems counter-intuitive. But OK. If it was me I'd check it and see. It's simple enough to check.

WELL... maybe I'm assuming that his roof top solar was factory installed. If added by the OP or a previous owner then whatever is common on Outdoor RVs without OEM solar would be the way it was wired. My bad.

Tags
solar