Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

Diving in again and again

I'm hoping this works as the Aliner was too bares bones, the 23" Salem CE was too hard to back up and I couldn't fit it in my drive way. I need something I can have ready to go on the fly.

I'm selling the TT and my friend has a 1992 Rexhal 26ft with Chevy 454 with 20k miles on it for $8k.

I've never owned a real motor home but it has been a dream of mine. This would be a started model to keep for the next 5-7 years then trade up.

Any thoughts on buying a rig that is 23 years old with low miles? I know the owner very well and he takes very good care of his trucks, tractors, critters and ranch.

This would be for me to roam around the West coast with my 2 German shepherds.

Thanks
Christina
COtello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I bought a 96 for me, the wife and 3 dogs. No regrets.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

I just posted this on another thread so I thought I should post it here to as it was something I found with my 96 Airbus.

With the Chevy chassis you should look at two things. First look in the front springs. There should be air bags in them as the chassis is considered a light duty chassis and the air bags are needed for correct ride height. The original air bags go bad fast and usually need to be replaced.

Second check that the auto park system works. This mh is probably too heavy for a check pawl in the transmission so an automatic parking brake was added to the back of the transmission. When you put the mh in park the auto park system is supposed to hold it. These are a weak link in the Chevy chassis and often need repair. I may be wrong with this on a 26 ft mh, but it is something to check out.

My 96 Rexall had both problems when I bought it but through some research on this forum and some others I was able to fix the problems with out a lot of cost.

Good luck
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!
Sound like you found a great deal. It's great that you know how it was maintained. That is a real plus. Keep up the maintenance and check the tires. (Tires age out before they wear out. 5 to 10 years maximum.)
Read the manuals and the forums and enjoy the adventure. A 26 footer should be a good size for you and your pals.
Enjoy!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Personally, age does not bother me but then again, I am into vintage/classic vehicles and enjoy tinkering with them. The care taken to maintain the vehicle is more important than the age, plus in this case it has low miles which can be a plus. Since you know the owner and history, I'd ask the owner what issues it has had, recent maintenance done, and what maintenance it needs. It might also be helpful to get it checked out if you think that is necessary, just to get an objective opinion of what you are looking at. I do think that $8K might be a little on the high side but if it's mint and what you want, then might be worth it to you. Good luck and keep us posted!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiver View Post

With the Chevy chassis you should look at two things. First look in the front springs. There should be air bags in them as the chassis is considered a light duty chassis and the air bags are needed for correct ride height. The original air bags go bad fast and usually need to be replaced.

Second check that the auto park system works. This mh is probably too heavy for a check pawl in the transmission so an automatic parking brake was added to the back of the transmission. When you put the mh in park the auto park system is supposed to hold it. These are a weak link in the Chevy chassis and often need repair. I may be wrong with this on a 26 ft mh, but it is something to check out.

I'll ask my friend's dh about these items. They are unbelievably honest folks so they will be very upfront with me about any issues and maintenance. I'll be seeing them every week so if there are problems I can ask who to fix them or what to do. I guess that's the big security blanket for me. I have someone who intimately knows the rig.

I'm an old back packer or tent camper. The most technology/gizmo's I've packed were a head lamp, a Jet boil and a GPS device.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

All GM motorhome chassis did not have the autopark. Our 26 ft Safari Trek (Model 2430) with 159" wheelbase had a normal parking pawl, but our 29 ft. Trek (Model 2830) with 178" wheelbase has the Autopark system

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
... check that the auto park system works. This mh is probably too heavy for a check pawl in the transmission so an automatic parking brake was added to the back of the transmission. When you put the mh in park the auto park system is supposed to hold it. These are a weak link in the Chevy chassis and often need repair. I may be wrong with this on a 26 ft mh, but it is something to check out.

My 96 Rexall had both problems when I bought it but through some research on this forum and some others I was able to fix the problems with out a lot of cost.

Good luck
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:49 PM   #8

I sold my TT happy dance. That is such a huge sigh of relief. It felt like one of those icky relationships you wished you never got into. So many folks said I should practice parking it and get used to it. This sounded vaguely familiar to eating sashimi, playing soccer and wearing corduroys. Nope, not for me, never will be and I've got other things I'd rather spend my time perfecting like dog training, mountain biking, and hiking every major mountain range in the world

I'm hoping to check out the Rexhall on Sunday and take it out for a test weekend. I'm so very excited about this new chapter in my life.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by COtello View Post
I sold my TT

I'm hoping to check out the Rexhall on Sunday and take it out for a test weekend. I'm so very excited about this new chapter in my life.
I too did back packing and hiking and some climbing. Also got into repelling.
As I am getting older, I appreciate the comfort and convenience the MH has to offer.

Hope it will fit your needs and it works out!!