Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Excited to do some upgrades/maintenance to the Aerbus!

Howdy All! I'm excited to get some upgrades done to the ol '97 Aerbus over the winter season. I just finished repairing a small leak in the fuel tank. I also recently had the tranny fluid and filter changed, fuel filter changed, and front wheel bearings serviced and I changed the air cleaner. Changing the air filter was quite the PITA but boy, did it need it. I'm surprised that it even ran since the filter was so filthy. Noticeable difference with the new filter. I have it physically where I want it, inside and out, and now want to do a little engine, suspension, etc.work. It turned 60K and is mostly original so probably time for a little sprucing up even though it runs great and smooth. Here is my plan:

1. I ordered the full banks power pack system. It currently has some broken bolts in the passenger side manifold and I was going to just repair that but after some thought and research, I decided to go the whole exhaust and ram intake route. I'm excited to see what the performance results will be!
2. Ordered new Motorcraft plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, and pcv valve.
3. Brake fluid flush with super DOT 4.0 and install New rear brakes.
4. Replace rear differential fluid.
5. Ordered 4 new Koni shocks all around.
6. Alignment
7. Install new chassis battery as the current one is a 2008.
After I do all of this, I am going to decide on what kind of steering stabilizers and sway bars I might want to install. That stuff for some reason confuses me but I'll research it to death and figure it out.
Before anyone tells me that I'm spending a lot of money on an old RV and won't ever get it back...trust me, I know. I own a few vintage RV's and cars and trucks and I just enjoy building them, enhancing them, working on them. They are all money pits but it keeps me out of trouble and it gives me a sense of pride. I'll update as things get done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	111499  
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Way to Go Inthe70s, Love to see what people to with their vehicles. I just got from underneath my 99 Aerbus and am currently in the middle of a 6v battery upgrade. Looking forward to your upgrades and maintenance, please keep your post going as this helps everyone !!!
Onetime12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I plan on and am doing things to my old rig that I feel it needs also. We just really like our old unit and I also don't care about getting my money back. It will be a long time before I sell it. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime12 View Post
Way to Go Inthe70s, Love to see what people to with their vehicles. I just got from underneath my 99 Aerbus and am currently in the middle of a 6v battery upgrade. Looking forward to your upgrades and maintenance, please keep your post going as this helps everyone !!!
Hey onetime12, I too am considering a 6 volt upgrade. Once you have completed the upgrade, you should post what you did and the results.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyhiker View Post
I plan on and am doing things to my old rig that I feel it needs also. We just really like our old unit and I also don't care about getting my money back. It will be a long time before I sell it. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks Handyhiker. Like you, We love this old girl so I plan on keeping her looking and running as new as possible. You've got quite the rare model and it's in outstanding shape si I'd keep plugging away to keep it pristine as possible. I might have to add to my list of upgrades is doing new front brakes, calipers, brake lines, etc. I've noticed that the braking on my '97 isn't that great and I'd like to try and improve that if possible. Maybe that's just the way it is but I guess I'll find out. I'll keep y'all posted!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
I might have to add to my list of upgrades is doing new front brakes, calipers, brake lines, etc. I've noticed that the braking on my '97 isn't that great and I'd like to try and improve that if possible. Maybe that's just the way it is but I guess I'll find out. I'll keep y'all posted!
I have new front brakes and my rears are 70%. It still doesn't stop great. It does stop straight and with no pulling. Guess I just need to remember how much weight I am stopping.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
If you are going to change the fluid in the rear end you may want to consider using a synthetic oil as I have read that it can improve gas mileage due to being a little more slippery. I did change the rear end, tranny and engine oil to full synthetics. Did I notice a difference? Yes, the engine oil pressure was a little higher and engine temps in summer a little lower and transmission shifts being smoother.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Upgrades, it looks like you are doing well thought out preventive maintenance on your MH. Your pics show that your MH appears to be in really nice condition. When you think about the money your spending in doing what your are doing just think about how much you are saving by not having a much newer MH. I commend you on your work progress. If your filter is like my 97 F53 it was a PITA but after I got started it didn't seem too bad. At least now you know what you have done to your MH as well.

PS: I was able to camp at Cherry Creek State Park this past summer while visiting our son in Denver. Great time.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
If you are going to change the fluid in the rear end you may want to consider using a synthetic oil as I have read that it can improve gas mileage due to being a little more slippery. I did change the rear end, tranny and engine oil to full synthetics. Did I notice a difference? Yes, the engine oil pressure was a little higher and engine temps in summer a little lower and transmission shifts being smoother.
Hi Martin, I am definitely a synthetic kind of guy. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Upgrades, it looks like you are doing well thought out preventive maintenance on your MH. Your pics show that your MH appears to be in really nice condition. When you think about the money your spending in doing what your are doing just think about how much you are saving by not having a much newer MH. I commend you on your work progress. If your filter is like my 97 F53 it was a PITA but after I got started it didn't seem too bad. At least now you know what you have done to your MH as well.

PS: I was able to camp at Cherry Creek State Park this past summer while visiting our son in Denver. Great time.
Hi Ken, I agree that maintenance always pays off. You are also right about the air filter in that now I know my way around and I could probably change the air filter in about 35 minutes next time. I'm glad you enjoyed Denver. Cherry Creek State Park is a nice park and I love the big cottonwood trees. I grew up there during the 70's and have camped there since I was 14. It's a nice and convenient little get away!
Old 11-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

Rexhall Owners Group
Upgrades are all part of the fun of owning a MH and it does really personilaze your rig. Preventive maintenance is one area that is so important as it does effect the realiabilty and value of your MH. Will we recoup the dollars that we put in to our units? Probably not but, it's all part of the fun plus, I like to tinker and try to improve what I have. For me at least it is still a better option than buying a newer or new rig.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyhiker View Post
I have new front brakes and my rears are 70%. It still doesn't stop great. It does stop straight and with no pulling. Guess I just need to remember how much weight I am stopping.
Yeah, I had to start thinking of changing lanes and stopping in terms of football field lengths, not car lengths!
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I was working on the MH yesterday and found a few problems. There was a vacuum line from the charcoal canisters to a solenoid by the PCV valve that was rotted off and no longer hooked up. I put a new line on and notice a big difference in the way it runs. Now when I but it in gear, the engine RPM speeds up, it used to slow down. I may have to readjust the idle now as I had it set for the slower engine speed when in gear.
I also found that the beaded ground strap from the engine to the frame was rotted off. The bolt head was gone and the strap was just hanging there still attached to the motor. I wound up drilling another hole in the frame and using a nut and bold rather than the bolt that threads into the frame. Also found 2 antifreeze leaks. One hose clamp was loose and a plug in the radiator was loose. The more I look, the more I find to do. Oh well, one thing at a time and just keep plugging away at it. I do enjoy tinkering and I guess I found a full time project. :-)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #14

Handyhiker, sounds like you are getting things done but without a lot of costs, which is great. I always caution folks that if you DONT like tinkering or aren't handy, do NOT buy a motorhome! It's always something with a motorhome. Very similar to owning a classic car or truck....always something. I enjoy tinkering and creating value so I feel like it's part of the hobby or journey....even when I'm cursing at the problem...I'm still loving it. If everything ran smoothly or perfectly, I'm not sure what I would do with my time!

Tags
maintenance, upgrade