Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #1

Water fill? For hot water heater?

Was able to get the hot water heater to fire up but when opening the lever valve no water came out, just some air. The unit shut off after running for a minute. Before I try to restart it, wondering if there is a secret valve somewhere to get water to the water heater? 1997 Aerbus 3650 gas 454 coach.
Rexhall97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #2

Open a hot water faucet or the pressure relief vale so the air can escape.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexhall97 View Post
Was able to get the hot water heater to fire up but when opening the lever valve no water came out, just some air. The unit shut off after running for a minute. Before I try to restart it, wondering if there is a secret valve somewhere to get water to the water heater? 1997 Aerbus 3650 gas 454 coach.
Hello, sounds like the water bypass valves are closed. There is no fill for the hot water heater. You will need to locate these valves and open them up, not sure where they are located on your coach. On mine they are under the bed and behind a wall. Normally when you turn your pump on or hook up waterhose if water tank valve is open it will fill the tank first. Hopefully you did not damage your hot water heater. running it while it is without water can surely cause unrepairable damage. Good luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Open a hot water faucet or the pressure relief vale so the air can escape.
Yes, open faucet and wait for water to come out. It can take a few minutes. The water heater should fill to the appropriate level when doing this. Do NOT try heating the water until you get water coming out the faucet.

Follow Craig's advice if water doesn't come out. If this still doesn't work, then there may be a stuck check valve on the water heater that isn't opening.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #5

Air came out of pressure valve. No water. I looked everywhere and can not seem to find the bypass valve. Left manual at home, back to this project when home I guess. I’m sure it’s the bypass. The reset button tripped, so I hope I did not damage the unit.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Sounds like it's been winterized. On my 2004 there is a bypass valve in the water/sewer bay near the city/holding tank water valve.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hopefully someone with your era RV will be able to respond to guide you. Whatever you do, do NOT restart the water heater without water in it. If it isn't damaged already, it will be if you start it empty.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #8

On my 96 Rolls Air, there is the bypass valves behind the lower cabinet doors in the kitchen where the water heater is located. one at the top and bottom of water heater.
Mine is in the cabinet below the stove.

Edit: Ignore far left lower loose assembly in photo. It is the broken bypass fittings that I saved for emergency fittings.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1669737699
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome water heater.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	381723  
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:19 AM   #9

Air came out .........

Air can not be pushed out unless water was going into the WH Tank

Turn water source ON
Open nearest Faucet Hotside and bleed air out of system
Can take awhile to fill a 6 gal/10 gal water heater tank
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:27 PM   #10

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello, sounds like the water bypass valves are closed. There is no fill for the hot water heater. You will need to locate these valves and open them up, not sure where they are located on your coach. On mine they are under the bed and behind a wall. Normally when you turn your pump on or hook up waterhose if water tank valve is open it will fill the tank first. Hopefully you did not damage your hot water heater. running it while it is without water can surely cause unrepairable damage. Good luck
Yes. Here is a picture of my electric element. I pulled the water heater to test the element. Once the element tested bad, I replaced it with a new one. Works fine. I replaced the thermostat unit on the propane side. It fires up nicely. Any fatality in the WH and I'll replace it for a new unit that has all the controls on the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230509_133558.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	393978  
AerbusMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water, water, water heater