Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > iRV2 Owners Registry
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
2016 Augusta Luxe LF-39FB
Radio Flyer's Avatar
Radio Flyer Radio Flyer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 69
Registry
RV Name
Year 2016
Make Augusta Luxe
Model LF-39FB
Length 43
2016 Augusta Luxe LF-39FB
Tow Vehicle
2016 Augusta Luxe LF-39FB Tow Vehicle 2016 Augusta Luxe LF-39FB Tow Vehicle 2016 Augusta Luxe LF-39FB Tow Vehicle
Comments: 7 / Views: 590
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Billett Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 846
hopefully I'll be joinig the luxe club soon, how is yours holding up for you?
__________________
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
hopefully I'll be joinig the luxe club soon, how is yours holding up for you?
With all due respect a 3500 RAM is not big enough for a 48 LUXE. Yes you have power to tow it but check out pin weights and figure out where you will be with a full trailer and truck.

We bought a RAM 5500 for our LUXE 44fl.
ecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Billett Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampbell View Post
With all due respect a 3500 RAM is not big enough for a 48 LUXE. Yes you have power to tow it but check out pin weights and figure out where you will be with a full trailer and truck.

We bought a RAM 5500 for our LUXE 44fl.
I do hate that we disagree, but we do. The only number that I might even be close to is the PL number, and i or the dot don't care about that number. Pl and gvwr Is a made up number from the manufacturer to be the leader in It's class. It's all about the axle weight and my rear axle can haul 9750, so I'm good. Yes I'll probably be around 500LBs over in PL. I'll move some weight off pin to rear of th to get close. There is no part or piece about my truck that can't handle 43k gcwr and 15750 gvw. All components are meant to hold up to those specs. I've got plenty
Plus I plan on changing the registration gvwr and informing my insurance agent, of which I have already contacted both.
Do some folks go with a mdt or hdt, yup they do, but with today's 3500s, it's unnecessary as they are over built compared to what the manufacturers rate them at. Your not going to sell to many trucks advertising a class 4 vehicle that won't hold up to a 16k gvwr continuously with out breakage of parts. Then the 3500 would never exist, unless you bought a truck unrelated to it's weight hauling capacity, wich some do.
__________________
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
I do hate that we disagree, but we do. The only number that I might even be close to is the PL number, and i or the dot don't care about that number. Pl and gvwr Is a made up number from the manufacturer to be the leader in It's class. It's all about the axle weight and my rear axle can haul 9750, so I'm good. Yes I'll probably be around 500LBs over in PL. I'll move some weight off pin to rear of th to get close. There is no part or piece about my truck that can't handle 43k gcwr and 15750 gvw. All components are meant to hold up to those specs. I've got plenty
Plus I plan on changing the registration gvwr and informing my insurance agent, of which I have already contacted both.
Do some folks go with a mdt or hdt, yup they do, but with today's 3500s, it's unnecessary as they are over built compared to what the manufacturers rate them at. Your not going to sell to many trucks advertising a class 4 vehicle that won't hold up to a 16k gvwr continuously with out breakage of parts. Then the 3500 would never exist, unless you bought a truck unrelated to it's weight hauling capacity, wich some do.
This is just an example to be adjusted accordingly

lbs
5600 payload capacity for a 2020 3500 4x4 crew cab with 4.1 rear end
(400) 2 adults in truck
(200) 30 gal of fuel
(500) misc gear in truck
(4500) trailer EMPTY pin weight
0 excess capacity

If you have a washer/dryer/extra batteries/generator you are overloaded and that is before you have put anything in the trailer. As you are full timing you can likely add at least 750 onto the nose.

Perhaps you know more than the general public with claims on how stuff is over built BUT If your in an accident the insurance investigator will deny your claim.

I have nothing to gain by this post as it was meant for general advice from a former investigator.

Have a great day
__________________
2021 RAM 5500 Body Werks kit
2021 LUXE 44FL
ecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Billett Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 846
My current PL capacity with 2 adults 2 dogs ful fuel, bak flip, fiver hitch, 300lb tools and box is around 5200lbs. The pin weight of the 48fb fully loaded , but I'm not getting the gen set, will be 4500lbs empty. I will have all my heavy stuff in the rear to not affect pin weight, so I'll only have 1000 lbs or under in cargo in the front wich will put me up to 5500lbs pin weight. That's 300lbs over on pin weight. Nobody cares about pin weight, any law authority or insurance investigator wants to know axle weights. My rear axle is rated at 9750lbs and with a 5500 lb P.L , my rear axle will be carrying 9300 lbs, well under its rating. My gvwr will be around 14,300 - 14,500. That's beyond minimal and can easily be manipulated by taking weight from the truck and put on rear of rv.
I used to document accident scenes and work with insurance company's and also drove commercial for decades. The only questions that ever pertained to weight would be to have the vehicle wreckered to a scale and have each axle weighed. When your truck is hooked up too a trailer, you do not measure trucks gvwr , you use the gcwr. You only use the gvwr to document weighing individual vehicle without trailer, and with out trailer you would lose all that pin weight. Its always the axle rating compared to what axles actuelly weighs, plain and simple. Plus if your involved in a wreck that is going to require that sort of investigation, its not going to be a bumper tap, it will be a major wreck. Not sure if you have every seen a wrecked truck and fifth wheel but thers hundreds of lbs strewn all over the rd , thus reducing weight.
Plus I have already talked to my insurance agent and communicated that I will be changing my registration tag to 15,000 lbs through the registrars office as I believe its the right thing to do if I'm ever over by a couple hundred lbs. And several said yes this is the right thing to do and you will be covered in the event of an accident as long as you are under your gawr of 15,750 on truck, gawr of 24,000 on trailer, and under 43,000 gcwr.
Again I hate that we disagree, but that's ok. I know my numbers and qualifications and im all good. I do appreciate your concern though. Weight is a very easy thing to manipulate.
__________________
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
My current PL capacity with 2 adults 2 dogs ful fuel, bak flip, fiver hitch, 300lb tools and box is around 5200lbs. The pin weight of the 48fb fully loaded , but I'm not getting the gen set, will be 4500lbs empty. I will have all my heavy stuff in the rear to not affect pin weight, so I'll only have 1000 lbs or under in cargo in the front wich will put me up to 5500lbs pin weight. That's 300lbs over on pin weight. Nobody cares about pin weight, any law authority or insurance investigator wants to know axle weights. My rear axle is rated at 9750lbs and with a 5500 lb P.L , my rear axle will be carrying 9300 lbs, well under its rating. My gvwr will be around 14,300 - 14,500. That's beyond minimal and can easily be manipulated by taking weight from the truck and put on rear of rv.
I used to document accident scenes and work with insurance company's and also drove commercial for decades. The only questions that ever pertained to weight would be to have the vehicle wreckered to a scale and have each axle weighed. When your truck is hooked up too a trailer, you do not measure trucks gvwr , you use the gcwr. You only use the gvwr to document weighing individual vehicle without trailer, and with out trailer you would lose all that pin weight. Its always the axle rating compared to what axles actuelly weighs, plain and simple. Plus if your involved in a wreck that is going to require that sort of investigation, its not going to be a bumper tap, it will be a major wreck. Not sure if you have every seen a wrecked truck and fifth wheel but thers hundreds of lbs strewn all over the rd , thus reducing weight.
Plus I have already talked to my insurance agent and communicated that I will be changing my registration tag to 15,000 lbs through the registrars office as I believe its the right thing to do if I'm ever over by a couple hundred lbs. And several said yes this is the right thing to do and you will be covered in the event of an accident as long as you are under your gawr of 15,750 on truck, gawr of 24,000 on trailer, and under 43,000 gcwr.
Again I hate that we disagree, but that's ok. I know my numbers and qualifications and im all good. I do appreciate your concern though. Weight is a very easy thing to manipulate.
Insurance investigators dont care about pin weight....haha - that is one of the things they look at.

You seem to know more than most on any topic so I will leave it to you - good luck with your set up.
__________________
2021 RAM 5500 Body Werks kit
2021 LUXE 44FL
ecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Billett Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampbell View Post
Insurance investigators dont care about pin weight....haha - that is one of the things they look at.

You seem to know more than most on any topic so I will leave it to you - good luck with your set up.
Nope, but thanks for flattering me. Just have first hand experience. Tyvm for your heart felt wishes, but no luck is necessary.
__________________
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
luxe



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.