Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > iRV2 Owners Registry
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

#1 Tiffin Allegro diesel bus

Registry
RV Name #1 Tiffin Allegro diesel bus
Year 1997
Make Tiffin
Model Diesel bus
Length 39 feet
1997 Tiffin Diesel bus
1997 Tiffin Diesel bus
Basic Info Bought to "See the USA" this RV was basecamp: We parked safely in RV parks --- often weeks at a time --- while exploring in our 4-wheel drive Jeep, which we towed 4-down.

During the first five years, we crisscrossed our country (See graphic) --- doing anything and everything that interested us. We had a grand experience!

Because we simply did not want to quit, we decided to write, photograph and publish our own “The Easy Traveler” self-guided area tours for RVers. Welcomed as press at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, we had a whole new way to experience RVing.

During the 10 years we spent as full-time RVers and tour producers, we saw and did it all!

Just ready to go "big-time" with our tours, pancreatic cancer (no warning, no cure) ended my husband's life at age 60. We were both very grateful that we had done all this "too soon to retire" when he was 50. What if we had waited?

----------

Now, I'm married to an LSU professor, who used to race trucks at the speedway, so is happy to drive our 34' rig (length fits into 2 parking spaces) pretty much everywhere.

We have a house and take "target travel tours" to places that interest us. He drives and parks our 34' gas Tiffin Open Road in little towns, along scenic highways, etc. No tow: Rent as needed. Traveling up high in the RV, the view is spectacular!

I do not drive and never have driven either the bus or this latest RV.

On my own and unwilling to be held down, I bought myself a Phoenix Cruiser which I drove quite happily --- This is the only other RV company that comes anywhere close to matching Tiffin and the Phoenix Cruiser is an absolutely first-class "Class B"!!!!

I'm considering updating my "The Easy Traveler" tours, with their safe RV routes, detailed where-to-stay and what-to-do guides and "See Before You Go" virtual tours because they are still first-class, only needing readily-available revisions.

I welcome any questions you might have: RVing is fun!!!!!
Exterior
1997 Tiffin Diesel bus Exterior 1997 Tiffin Diesel bus Exterior
We added my "The Easy Traveler" graphics to our RV.

(Photos are in Dickinson, Texas, RV park just south of Houston, our winter 2004 base that year.)

Interior
1997 Tiffin Diesel bus Interior 1997 Tiffin Diesel bus Interior 1997 Tiffin Diesel bus Interior
Adding a cabinet & modifying the dining table top (raises to reveal a slide-out extension) created a concealed computer work station.

A set of two sliding doors and two top-opening doors hide the equipment.

The computer stuff is ready and waiting and neatly put away.

Customizations
M&G ENGINEERING BRAKE SYSTEMS (ATHENS, TX): This incredibly effective braking system was installed at the factory to link the RV's braking system to the Jeep --- when the driver brakes, both the RV and the tow brake, too. Wonderful!

We bought a third new-to-us Jeep to upgrade our 9+ year old RV because we were planning to go to northern California (redwoods) and knew we would be better off in the Rockies with this new system. Worked perfectly!!!

Renovations and Repairs
SCOTTY'S CAMPER SALES (NEW IBERIA, LA): All repairs were handled via Scotty's Camper Sales in New Iberia, Louisiana, which kept us safely on the road as full-timers for 10 years.

Scotty's (a family company, now headed by Walter Scott) sold us our bus at a very reasonable price and took care of us so well that we kept coming back to Louisiana every year for service.

TIFFIN (RED BAY, AL): We went to Red Bay several times: We lived in the RV, so replaced the couch and the driver's and passenger chairs and the windshield.

HWH LEVELING JACKS (MOSCOW, IOWA): The leveling jacks got to working oddly, so we called the factory, which invited us to come and let them take a look. We did. They looked and fixed whatever had worn out. Would have let us stay for free at the factory. No charge for anything.

INTERIOR FABRIC REPLACEMENTS:

New front curtains.

Naturally, we replaced the bedspread several times: Best idea was a two comforters --- one for the bed and the other to cover a foam-insulating-panel, fitted to create a plush headboard for the entire wall area behind the bed (no window, of course) --- made the room seem bigger, much more plush, and much quieter.

We kept our RV looking good and functioning perfectly: We lived there.

Tow Vehicle
1997 Tiffin Diesel bus Tow Vehicle
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited offered 4-wheel drive and towable 4-down

We were on our third Jeep (to which we added the M&G ENGINEERING BRAKE SYSTEMS --- which made driving much safer for our old RV --- which we loved, kept maintained, and definitely wanted to keep --- being driven through the Rockies, etc. My advice to anyone with a diesel RV is to get this M&G system installed, from the first, because I believe this makes RVing much safer.)

Easy to hook up to RV, via metal "arms" that folded to stay attached to the RV.

Towing was simple because --- via the Jeep's own transmission system --- the Jeep became towable 4-down, with no record of miles traveled on the odometer.

Favorite Camping Destinations
Louisiana, Lafayette & Cajun country: Great food, friendly people, good times! We often wintered (late-October to mid-March at Bayou Wilderness RV Resort in Carencro (Lafayette). There's a whole lot to explore and do around the area.

Montana (Missoula) We stayed weeks at Jim & Mary's RV Park, taking our jeep to drive out and explore the area. Moving the RV up to Big Fork, etc.

Maine (Trenton): Timberland Acres RV Park made a great base to use to explore coastal Maine, including stunningly beautiful Acadia National Park. From here, driving inland to Bangor was easy, as was driving the Jeep north to Canada and FDR's family home.
Comments: 0 / Views: 540
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
allegro, diesel, tiffin