Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #1

Avoiding Interstates

When planning a trip using Trip Wizard, is there any way to indicate that I'd like to avoid Interstates, but I WOULD like to take the oftentimes more scenic and leisurely US and State Highways?

If I choose "Avoid Highways," on what sorts of roads will Trip Wizard route me?

Also - what is the difference between the original map and the beta map that is being offered?
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2023, 05:41 PM   #2

Trip setting and change. This is about all you can do to my knowledge. Click on ? mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-06 163944.png
Views:	27
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	387658  
Old 03-06-2023, 05:47 PM   #3

Apple Maps will allow you to avoid freeways.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:51 PM   #4

In RV Trip Wizard, turn ON the “Avoid Highways” setting. Set it to “YES.” Presto - no interstates.

Apple Maps does not provide any weight or clearance routing. RV Trip Wizard does.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
In RV Trip Wizard, turn ON the “Avoid Highways” setting. Set it to “YES.” Presto - no interstates.

Apple Maps does not provide any weight or clearance routing. RV Trip Wizard does.
Thank you! Will choosing to "avoid highways" avoid interstates but still route me onto secondary highways, or will it take me only onto local roads?
Old 03-06-2023, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post

Clearly
Old 03-06-2023, 08:08 PM   #7

As a long time motorcyclist, I have done this many times...if you like the scenic route you can try planning a route using "Butler Maps" and your GPS
https://butlermaps.com/

Word of Warning - there may not be any place to buy gas on those back roads, plan your gas stops first, then you back road adventure...hth
Old 03-06-2023, 09:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Thank you! Will choosing to "avoid highways" avoid interstates but still route me onto secondary highways, or will it take me only onto local roads?
It will route you on the best combination of RV safe roads that are not interstates. So yes, US routes, State routes, on down the list.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
It will route you on the best combination of RV safe roads that are not interstates. So yes, US routes, State routes, on down the list.
Thank you for that!

So for those of you who choose to avoid highways on TW - what has your experience been regarding the routes you were given instead?

Also - I see there’s a beta map being offered. (Lower bottom right icon). Anyone use the beta map? If so - what are the advantages?
Old 03-07-2023, 05:50 AM   #10

I am old school. While I use a GPS at times, and keep it open while driving, I still like to plan our trips using an atlas type map. Maps tell me so much more than a line on a screen. We can decide upon taking different routes to see different sights and this makes the entire trip more enjoyable. GPS does have is place, but I don't believe GPS can completely replace a good map. The 2 go hand in hand.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:06 AM   #11

Old school here, too, but I do use the Garmin as well.

You may already be aware, but the Truckers' Atlas is a great tool; highlights thoroughfares that are RV safe to travel. And for fuel stops, the Next Exit book lists RV-accessible stops along interstate routes.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thank you for that!

So for those of you who choose to avoid highways on TW - what has your experience been regarding the routes you were given instead?

Also - I see there’s a beta map being offered. (Lower bottom right icon). Anyone use the beta map? If so - what are the advantages?
Regarding the addition of the Beta Map, following is what stated in the "What's New" advisory in RVTW: "On top of a cleaner look, the new map is easier to use. Clicking, dragging, and zooming are now smoother. Plus, the new map consumes less bandwidth than our previous map! Everything else you know and love about Trip Wizard works the same. If you are not ready to try out our Beta Map, or if you want to return to our usual map, make sure "Default Map" is selected." You can check topics such as this in the What's New tab on the Default Setting drop-down where your name is shown in the upper right of the screne.

As far as choosing not to use interstates, given that in most cases use of interstate highways is almost always the Optimum RVTW routing choice, your routing off-interstate will not be the "optimum" routing. Therefore, probably more miles and/or time. Also, depending on what part of the country you are traveling in, likely more towns/cities in your routing. All should be RV safe, although you should always have a look at where RVTW is routing you the night before to validate the route as much as you can.

So, the question really is, does wanting to travel off-interstate conflict with any time sensitive destination requirements during your travels? If not, enjoy the drive. If yes, make accommodations where required. It's entirely your preference to set your travels however you need or want. Safe travels.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Regarding the addition of the Beta Map, following is what stated in the "What's New" advisory in RVTW: "On top of a cleaner look, the new map is easier to use. Clicking, dragging, and zooming are now smoother. Plus, the new map consumes less bandwidth than our previous map! Everything else you know and love about Trip Wizard works the same. If you are not ready to try out our Beta Map, or if you want to return to our usual map, make sure "Default Map" is selected." You can check topics such as this in the What's New tab on the Default Setting drop-down where your name is shown in the upper right of the screne.

As far as choosing not to use interstates, given that in most cases use of interstate highways is almost always the Optimum RVTW routing choice, your routing off-interstate will not be the "optimum" routing. Therefore, probably more miles and/or time. Also, depending on what part of the country you are traveling in, likely more towns/cities in your routing. All should be RV safe, although you should always have a look at where RVTW is routing you the night before to validate the route as much as you can.

So, the question really is, does wanting to travel off-interstate conflict with any time sensitive destination requirements during your travels? If not, enjoy the drive. If yes, make accommodations where required. It's entirely your preference to set your travels however you need or want. Safe travels.
Thank you, Mike, for both of those answers. I’m in the process of planning a weeklong trip using TW. I kept flipping back and forth between the two maps, and other than one being a bit “cleaner” in appearance, I couldn’t notice any major differences. Thanks for sharing that the differences are behind the scene making for a smoother interface. I’ll give it a try.

Regarding my preferences to avoid Interstates - this is meant to be a leisurely trip, as I have 8 days to cover 1000 miles. Although there are times when speed and efficiency rule, since I’m not in a rush on this particular trip I’d prefer a more scenic route. On the other hand, I’m looking for a bit more efficiency than rural back roads. A U.S. or State highway that at times becomes commercial and passes through towns is just what I’m looking for. I wan’t sure if choosing to avoid highways meant I went from one extreme to the other. Thanks for clarifying!

And to those who suggested atlases - I do use an atlas as part of my traveling arsenal. But for trip planning - and seeing where potential stops are along my route - Trip Wizard fits the bill. When it comes time to actually traveling, I use several resources to plan my ultimate route - including Google Maps street view, which I love. But right now I need a general idea of my route to plan overnight stops.

To choose my overnights I set my beginning and ending destinations to see where my route will take me. Obviously, when choosing highways it was a very direct interstate run (I95). Switching to avoid highways took me on a parallel route, but I wasn’t sure just how local the alternative route would be. I guess if I can find the alternative route in a truckers atlas it can’t be too rural!
Old 03-08-2023, 07:05 AM   #14

Quote:
If you have entered your coach size and weight into Trip Wizard, it will route you ONLY on roads where you are weight-legal and will fit. So you'll be on US Routes, State Routes and other roads where you are not too heavy for the bridges or too high for an underpass. You can also set it to avoid dirt roads, which will further refine the routing.

One other important point should be made here. The other mapping suggestions offered in this thread (Apple Maps, Butler Maps, etc.) do not know the size and weight of your coach, so they may route you where you cannot go. Don't use them.

The Trucker Atlases cannot match the convenience and accuracy of an electronic map. You "old school" folks who still use a paper map don't know what you are missing. I'm 76, so I've officially reached "old fart" status, but I don't own any paper maps. RV Trip Wizard is my "go-to" trip planning tool, and I love it!
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote