Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #1

Choosing Routes when pulling toad

I have input my rv dimensions in Trip Wizard. Is there a place that allows you to add your toad length? Or when you click RV Routing instead of Standard Routing, does it take that into account?

Thank you.
Jean O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

You length should be the total length, not just your RV.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #3

Thanks.
Jean O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You length should be the total length, not just your RV.

Sue, My understanding is that the length of your RV, only, is what is being used to determine if a campground can accommodate you. I am 45 ft and with my toad we're 67 ft. If I set my rig profile to that I would be filtered out of pretty much all campgrounds. I may be mistaken but I do not believe Trip Wizard factors that info into your routing. Even when I've asked campgrounds, like KOA, they have said to only put your rig length into their reservation forms and not to include what you are towing.
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:43 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

Regarding cgs, that is true. For driving down the road we take into consideration total length. Our primary function is to give you safe driving.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #6

I wonder how Trip Wizard would take total length into driving hazards other than max for a ferry?

Turning radius varies so wildly, maneuvering would be pretty hard to program.

Length for static stuff, not so much . The exception might be max vehicle length in certain states or certain roads..
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #7

I was not aware that RVTW will route dependent on vehicle length. I thought choosing RV routing will choose roads that are RV friendly not dependent on length.

Concerning CG', in practice I don't put filters when searching for CG. I feel too many would be eliminated by doing so.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

There are roads that are length restricted.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
There are roads that are length restricted.

Sue, with all due respect I don't think that is the case or possible. If you look at all of the state's length restrictions you will find there are many states where you cannot drive a 45 ft coach. That's obviously not being enforced but those restrictions are in place.

If RV Trip Wizard really did take that into count then it would be routing me around many states completely. I truly believe Trip Wizard is only taking into account your height and weight and whether or not you are carrying Propane.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

So no 18 wheelers technically would be allowed? Most are 53'.

There must be some buried laws with exclusions.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So no 18 wheelers technically would be allowed? Most are 53'.

There must be some buried laws with exclusions.

There's a lot of reading to do here but you can dig down through all of the states and find the info.. Specifically NJ and the DC don't allow a coach over 40 ft. I discovered all of this several years ago when the topic came up after we got set up to tow my F-150 and saw I was at 67 ft in length. Somewhere I had seen a spreadsheet chart listing all of this. I may have to go back and create my own based on all of this info: https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=1195129 . If you go through all of the data you will also find our Big Rig coaches are over the width restrictions in some places as well. I have never been stopped or checked but those restrictions do exist. Some of our western states, on the other hand, allow triple towing and I can only imagine how long those combinations might get up to in length. All of this data is my basis for doubting Trip Wizard considers your RV length when determining routing. Perhaps Patrick or someone closer to the Trip Wizard programmers may chime in on this topic.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

I asked the question this morning and that is the response I was given.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 02-11-2021, 04:44 AM   #13

Interesting they don't include length in their features section....

From their website features....

"Customized to your RV
It customizes RV safe Routes to the height & weight of your RV. Avoid low clearances, steep grades, and propane restrictions."
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, routes, toad